PDA

View Full Version : KA Timing chain explained. Degreeing Cams explained. JWT cam gears.

Walperstyle
09-04-2011, 04:16 AM
I may be a little late, but as I'm building a a ka24det from the ground up, but I figured this information I have made might be of some use to people that just simply don't understand how to setup the timing chains.

KA24DE
LOWER TIMING CHAIN ON, and explained!!!!!
lower-timing-explained, ka24det. Factory Settings - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbaFoxm-5lE)

KA24DE
Upper Timing chain explained
upper-timing-explained ka24de 2.4L nissan - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofV4eghOP_w&feature=colike)

UPDATE: 2012, January
This is how you degree cams using JWT cam gears. JWT cam gear usage also applies for SR, but degreeing is different as KA engines are bucket-over-shim. SR's use lifters.

KA24DET how to Degree Cams (vid 1) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55kgprdD6t0&feature=BFa&list=PLB530F8152398A605)

Sorry, I don't have video editing software, otherwise I would dress it up a bit. Thanks for watching hope this helps

PS, i'm not responsible if you suck and blow your crap up.

sincity_sil80
09-04-2011, 04:52 AM
informative vid

Walperstyle
09-04-2011, 04:54 AM
Its going to be a while before I install my Dizzy and explain that, but i'm sure if people searched and used the FSM they can find it.

waxball88
09-04-2011, 12:03 PM
All the counting was unnecessary. The FSM is pretty exact in how to set it easily. But nice to have someone walk you through it i suppose. I'll leave this in here for some additional to your vid from when i did my ka build
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u116/waxball88/1436733553_photobucket_78315_.jpg
The biggest thing is to turn it over gently by hand to make sure you aren't contacting anything.

Walperstyle
09-04-2011, 04:18 PM
For my video, the counting is completely necessary being I've seen people install the chain differently and get confused when they count links. on KA-T we have a lot of new guys asking about timing, and they make simple mistakes and get confused.

The biggest thing is to turn it over gently by hand to make sure you aren't contacting anything.

agree completely. Just make sure you have lots of lube in a freshly rebuilt engine before turning it over by hand. (or turning it over by ignition for that matter)

waxball88
09-04-2011, 04:49 PM
For my video, the counting is completely necessary being I've seen people install the chain differently and get confused when they count links. on KA-T we have a lot of new guys asking about timing, and they make simple mistakes and get confused.

agree completely. Just make sure you have lots of lube in a freshly rebuilt engine before turning it over by hand. (or turning it over by ignition for that matter)

LMAO if you get to putting the chain on your motor and haven't used assembly lube you deserve to fuck your shit up lol

Walperstyle
09-04-2011, 08:34 PM
^I've seen some first starts on youtube where you can hear the engine oil starve for a few seconds. VERY BAD!

w0nderbr3ad
09-05-2011, 11:58 AM
This is great info for people who don't know how to set timing, myself included. I have a question, probably newbish since I haven't done a timing chain install, but do you need to oil up the chain prior to install or just install it dry?

waxball88
09-05-2011, 12:01 PM
This is great info for people who don't know how to set timing, myself included. I have a question, probably newbish since I haven't done a timing chain install, but do you need to oil up the chain prior to install or just install it dry?
Not necessary to lube it, just slap it on, it'll get oily when you start it.

Walperstyle
09-06-2011, 02:13 AM
I would lube it. Its not going to harm anything.

Walperstyle
02-03-2012, 02:08 AM
Update, February 2012. Added a video and edited thread title, with another video on 'how to degree cams using JWT cam gears'

ps, don't use my numbers, and also don't blame me if you blow stuff up.

Degree Cams (KA engine, but also applies for SR)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55kgprdD6t0&feature=BFa&list=PLB530F8152398A605

Walperstyle
02-03-2012, 06:16 AM
I'm also looking for feedback on these videos, as to what I could do better.

ze12o
02-05-2012, 08:35 AM
This will help greatly when I do mine. Thanks

h2v7
02-05-2012, 09:13 AM
no sohc love?

codyace
02-05-2012, 10:01 AM
Update, February 2012. Added a video and edited thread title, with another video on 'how to degree cams using JWT cam gears'

ps, don't use my numbers, and also don't blame me if you blow stuff up.

Degree Cams (KA engine, but also applies for SR)
KA24DET how to Degree Cams (vid 1) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55kgprdD6t0&feature=BFa&list=PLB530F8152398A605)

While the 'basic' procedure works for SR, one most remember that on an SR you will need a way setup a 'solid' type lifter in those heads, as the HLA's will never give you true valve opening/closing, due to their design.

Walperstyle
02-13-2012, 03:11 PM
While the 'basic' procedure works for SR, one most remember that on an SR you will need a way setup a 'solid' type lifter in those heads, as the HLA's will never give you true valve opening/closing, due to their design.

My bad.

What I ment to say was that the usage of JWT cam gears is the same as the SR. The degree process is different from KA to SR.

Other Nissan have 'bucket over valve' though.

CleanAndLegit
02-14-2012, 07:27 PM
so the way your cam gears/cams are set are factory? if so then my exhaust side is wrong which isn't letting my car start! -_______- please get back to me asap! if anyone else can answer my question thanks!

edit saw last video and you said they were at factory settings much thanks!!

codyace
02-14-2012, 08:49 PM
Its cool! I just wanted others to make sure before they got to involved. Damn bydraulic.lifters

My bad.

What I ment to say was that the usage of JWT cam gears is the same as the SR. The degree process is different from KA to SR.

Other Nissan have 'bucket over valve' though.