PDA

View Full Version : seized coilover

dftsilvia
09-02-2011, 07:20 AM
well the coilover itself isnt seized, but the height adjustment part is seized ( part that mounts to the knuckle ) any tips or tricks to getting it freed up so i can adjust my ride height? i tried spraying the shit out of it with PB blaster, letting it sit for about a week, spraying everyday and that had no affect on it. tried big pipe wrenches, nothing. it there anything i can maybe soak it in to free it up?

thanks

Nicelyphe
09-02-2011, 07:39 AM
Mine did the same thing, but the rings + the mount was seized..I used PB/WD40, a torch, strap wrench to hold the strut tube so I could grip it yet not damage the threads, held the coilover halfway off the work bench (Mount side off so you can hit it) then just took a wack at the mount with a hammer. Two hits and mine freed up. The worst part of seized coils is trying to not damage them while trying to fix them :P

dftsilvia
09-02-2011, 08:30 AM
Yeah im not trying to use a torch on my coilover. i tried PB and it didnt do a damn thing, guna try soaking it in some atf maybe? or try some seafoam deep creep cuz i heard thats the shizzy

cotbu
09-02-2011, 09:09 AM
Whatever method you use, make preparations so it doesn't happen again. I used some grease that my pops had laying around, the all purpose stuff. I put this stuff on all the thread and adjusted the height, then lubed the remaining threads with the same stuff. My ride height is pretty much set but when I bolted on the 180sx kit, I wanted to see what she looked like slammed. 15min to slam it another 15mins to raise it back up. Next time my wheels are off im gonna lube it up again, I should buy some new collars since i f'd mine up, the first time around. but it is what it is.

S14Driftr91
09-02-2011, 09:26 AM
I'm having this same problem too. I have a set of stance coils that have been driven on for a year and another year just sitting there while the car is being built. My collars were stuck also. I didnt want to ruin anything especially if i paid over a $1000 for them, so I called stance, and he said heat them up a little but that didn't ever work. I checked on buying replacement collars as well and they go for $40 a pair!... Mine were so seized so bad they bent the shit out of both my spanner wrenches.

There has to be some way to get these off. I've tried everything; heat, hammer, PB, strap wrench, spanner wrench w/ pipe on the end for leverage... I had to use a set of water pump pliers to break the collars free

cotbu
09-02-2011, 10:48 AM
I used an impact hammer/blunt chisel, and gigantic channel locks. Collars are mangled but not that bad, so i'll be keeping that $40

lol Spanner Wrenches, long gone.

dftsilvia
09-02-2011, 11:25 AM
my collars arent seized, its the part where the coilover mounts to the knuckle. u kno where the two bolts go thru that hold it on. all of my other 3 coils are perfect, they are free as can be, just the one front is seized

Nicelyphe
09-02-2011, 01:16 PM
Torch + Strap wrench, and hammer ftw.

jstr269
09-02-2011, 02:08 PM
you can get some type of wedge and slowly hammer it into the gap between the coilover and the knuckle. Once you break the bond thats holding the two together, should come out really easy.

Sideways570sx
09-02-2011, 03:09 PM
Torch + Strap wrench, and hammer ftw.

this dudes right, i did a similar thing to my rear camber arms on my 350z, bitch was seized up in there pretty good, so i heated it up with a torch, and hit it with a sledge hammer a couple of times and it came right off..your not gonna hurt your coilover, as long as your hitting the knuckle....put your purse down and get it done

rwake15
09-02-2011, 03:48 PM
one of my rears were seized on my tein's used giant pipe wrench soaked it in pb blaster with towels and wrapped them aroundit and let it sit for a couple hours. After ripping the vise of the work bench 2 times i finally broke it loose by just applying constant pressure with the pipe wrench and it didnt mess threads up at all.

dftsilvia
09-06-2011, 06:35 AM
alright, sounds like im going to buy a bigger pipe wrench hahhaha

codyace
09-06-2011, 06:41 AM
I wouldn't be torching my strut at all, that's for sure...

If the collars thesmelves move, then I'd jam 2 of them together, stick the part where the hub mount is in a vise with some wood between the 2 parts (to keep it from crushing) and then use the two locked collar nuts as jam nuts to work it free.....or as mentioned take big ass strap wrench around the tube itself to break it free.

Good luck! I know all to well about salt/northeast rust enduced fun :D

JaeTea
09-06-2011, 07:18 AM
PB Blaster + metal wedge + hammer. Thats how I got mine unseized. Put the wedge into one of the collar slots and bang away.

I wouldn't torch the strut.

blo0d
11-14-2012, 04:28 AM
I wouldn't be torching my strut at all, that's for sure...

If the collars thesmelves move, then I'd jam 2 of them together, stick the part where the hub mount is in a vise with some wood between the 2 parts (to keep it from crushing) and then use the two locked collar nuts as jam nuts to work it free.....or as mentioned take big ass strap wrench around the tube itself to break it free.

Good luck! I know all to well about salt/northeast rust enduced fun :D

the tein spring collars are not strong enough for this job though

thats what i came up with.... they failed.

does anyone know tein sell replacement lower brackets?

Sileighty_85
11-14-2012, 05:17 AM
Air hammer to the knuckle mount