PDA

View Full Version : Strange Vibes from entire car

climo
11-21-2003, 02:40 PM
I recently purchased my 98 240 about 2 months ago. Everything is fine except for a numbing vibration felt thru the whole car. Idle quality is great so no problems there. Once I rev it to 2k rpms then the car starts to vibrate. You can really feel it thru the steering wheel and inside the car. My rearview mirror shakes until I lower the rpms below 2k. The engine doesn't seem to shake or anything just that you can feel it when leaning against the car.

I checked for items contacting the body but no luck. other than the vibes it runs great. The steering wheel makes my hand go numb after a few hours driving. I also checked the motor mounts and they don't seem to bad. Little movement when power braking.

Idle is smooth, exactly at 2k rpms you can feel the vibe. Above 2k you can still feel it but but not as noticeable. Oh yeah this is in park sitting still. It does have 187k miles but like I said its BONE dry underneath the car.

any ideas?

misnomer
11-21-2003, 09:21 PM
Sounds to me like something is off balance. . . I don't know how you'd narrow it down. Feel around, see if you can feel it from the block, transmission. . . mebbe accessories. . .

Keep in mind the KA24 is a relatively shakey engine. I wouldn't say palm numbing, but it's definitely not as smooth as other cars I've driven.

TachyonS14
01-21-2004, 10:06 PM
Climo, I and a few others over on the NICO board have the same problem. I have a 97 240 and right at 2krpms, I get the same thing. I've been trying to fix this problem for 7 months! I've done everything I can think of, so If you do find a solution please don't forget to post It, thanks!

tsunami0ne
01-22-2004, 08:12 AM
I recently purchased my 98 240 about 2 months ago. Everything is fine except for a numbing vibration felt thru the whole car. Idle quality is great so no problems there. Once I rev it to 2k rpms then the car starts to vibrate. You can really feel it thru the steering wheel and inside the car. My rearview mirror shakes until I lower the rpms below 2k. The engine doesn't seem to shake or anything just that you can feel it when leaning against the car.

I checked for items contacting the body but no luck. other than the vibes it runs great. The steering wheel makes my hand go numb after a few hours driving. I also checked the motor mounts and they don't seem to bad. Little movement when power braking.

Idle is smooth, exactly at 2k rpms you can feel the vibe. Above 2k you can still feel it but but not as noticeable. Oh yeah this is in park sitting still. It does have 187k miles but like I said its BONE dry underneath the car.

any ideas?

I'm probably wrong since you says this happens after 2k, but check your tire tread. If you can move it around with your fingers, then that is bad.

Brolewigi
01-22-2004, 12:56 PM
Have you done anything to your suspension latley? I could be something as simple as your alignment. I got snow stuck in my wheel and it made the wheel off ballanced. But since you live in Cali that shouldn't be a problem. Your tires could also be unballanced too.

Chernobyl
01-22-2004, 02:01 PM
He said the problem is in park, sitting still, so that excludes any driveline balance. Check your computer for codes. It might not show the check engine light, but there still might be something broken, and it will spit the code for it.

hookedup240
01-22-2004, 04:29 PM

any ideas?

Holy shit, 187k miles on a 98 that is a lot.

Sorry i couldn't be of any help

TachyonS14
01-23-2004, 02:28 AM
I have the same problem, and I'm going to try this tomorrow http://www.240sx.org/faq/articles/idleirreg.htm Seems 240's have a common problem with the throttle plate getting dirty, and same with the IAA valve.