PDA

View Full Version : first 240/sr20det, oil leak?!

satansdank
08-25-2011, 11:05 AM
im new to the forums, i just picked up my first 1990 240sx with no rust and a red top sr20det motor in it.

after bringing it home and upon closer inspection i seen some oil on the alternator and a little oil sludge about a mm thick caked on the oil pan where it seals.

the car was driven 3 hours to where i bought it and then parked. about 7 hours later when i was looking at the motor and seen the oil sludge on the alternator and caked on the oil pan a little. i seen a small spot about as big around as a pop bottle cap of oil leaked on the ground.

i was researching on oil pan leaks and the oil pan and sealing glue is easy fix but if the oil pan was leaking would the oil be up on the alternator still?

looking for some imput ofhat you guys think

the previous owner might have never cleaned the engine and its just old crap, dont get me wrong the whole engine is pretty clean just twords the bottom there is a little dirtyness that im not sure i should worry about.

other than than that it need a new dash swapped in, i already have it, wondering how hard that will be to switch out

the shift boot is the wrong size and needs to be replaced

and last but not least its sitting pretty low and i would like to raise the stance coilovers for a taller ride height.

pics soon!

theboy
08-25-2011, 11:27 AM
how far down does the oil sludge start. Could be from the valve cover, oil block (notorious for seals going bad after 30k), front cover, or front main seal. Figure out how far up the sludge goes on the block. Then narrow your choices. Good chance its the little seals on the back side of the oil block or front main seal. If its the front main seal then its on the belts and thats what coating your alternator. Go buy yourself some brake parts cleaner or carb cleaner and start cleaning the sludge off. Come back in a couple days and find the leak.

This is very dumb to start a thread over since its common freakin sense.

satansdank
10-13-2011, 06:32 AM
yea i realize that now, oil leak was from oil pan and is fixed. thanks!

nissansrdub
10-13-2011, 10:18 AM
dont forget to clean everything off so next time if something happens you can see clearly where its coming from. glad to hear its fixed