PDA

View Full Version : SR Alt upgrade 99 Quest (130 amp)

docktercolin
08-24-2011, 05:04 PM
I know this has been discussed here several times but i had to do a lot of searching to find. So I thought I'd freshen it up. AND I have part numbers to help every one out. A 99 Quest alternator works great if you remove the factory adjustment bracket and use a couple of rod ends and a turnbuckle for a new tensioner. 1. rebuilt 99 Quest alt. $175. 2. Rod ends and a turnbuckle from a company called Midwest control products. male lh 8mm rod end #7289, 8mm male rod end #7288 and m8x60 turnbuckle #23700. $31.11shipped. 3. 7-8mm flat washers, 2-8mm lock washers, 1-8mm x55 bolt, 1-8mm x35 bolt. Less than $5.00. Last and not least a 50376 gates belt.
Make sure before you take the sr alt back for the core you press out the bushing in the lower mount on the alt. and press it into the new quest alt. The Quest alt bushing id is too big.
On the alt upper mounting hole use the 55mm bolt with 3 of the wahers between the alt and rod end and another flat washer then lock washer.
For the other end of the rod end assembly use two of the 8mm washers between the rod end and factory mount hole, with one washer and lock washer on the other side. The male threaded rod end goes towards the factory mount with a jam nut to keep everything tight. Add a 50376 gates belt, tighten all down and you are in business.
So for about $215, you can upgrade your altenator by 50 Amps for those big amps or fans.

Om1kron
08-24-2011, 05:14 PM
weird, for 155 bucks I did the same upgrade as you.

codyace quest alternator kit. 75bucks
ebay remanufactured quest alternator. 80 bucks

mattsil80wis
08-24-2011, 05:23 PM
weird, for 155 bucks I did the same upgrade as you.

codyace quest alternator kit. 75bucks
ebay remanufactured quest alternator. 80 bucks

Weird. That is how much it cost me too

Om1kron
08-24-2011, 05:33 PM
Weird. That is how much it cost me too

Nuts, did you get yours in this thread Matt?

http://zilvia.net/f/group-buys/350045-quest-alternator-upgrade-bolt-bracket-sr20-owners-40amp-upgrade-over-stock.html

docktercolin
08-24-2011, 05:42 PM
I didn't want to go with an eBay special alternator, autozone baby! Lifetime guarantee! Big difference is the price of the rod end, etc. Sorry if I'm stepping on coty's d*#k but this ain't rocket science. I like coty he has done tons for everyone on here and I'll probably need some advise from him in the future.

Om1kron
08-24-2011, 06:23 PM
just teasing you bud haha.

bardabe
08-24-2011, 07:33 PM
lol this sucks, it reminds me how i got ripped off with my RB Conversion Kit, I made a questicle alternator kit for the RB guys someone got it replicated in china and blew me off the market. SR is easy on a whole nother level thought lol

codyace
08-24-2011, 07:51 PM
lol this sucks, it reminds me how i got ripped off with my RB Conversion Kit, I made a questicle alternator kit for the RB guys someone got it replicated in china and blew me off the market. SR is easy on a whole nother level thought lol

My stuff isn't chinese? And it's not much of a rip off either, especially considering the above poster uses some super cheap non lined rod ends, and who knows if the fasteners are stainless.

My kits use good rod ends, stainles washers, come with the belt, and it's shipped to you. No driving around, no time wasted. You get the stuff and you go.

No harm no foul, just figured I'd at least stick up for myself. The reason my kits are similarly priced is that I bought a bunch of decent rod ends at once, and was able to get them at a better price. Sure you could use the steel on steel junk, but that's not for me.