PDA

View Full Version : What's your opinion

ShadowMan
08-22-2011, 08:11 PM
So the 'ol sr decided it wants to burn some oil now and start blowing oil from the vc breather and dipstick tube. The shaftplay in the turbo is minimal. The motor runs quite consistently at 175-180 deg F. Cylinders 1,2, & 3 spark plugs look just fine. Now #4 has oil all over it. As i have no oil/coolant mixing i'm going to assume my headgasket is fine and until i can get a leak down and compression test done i'll "assume" its either the valve seals or piston rings. I changed the oil recentlyand accidentally over filled it. I drove it to and from work when it started these shenanigans. I came home, let it set checked the oil realized my mistake and drained the excess oil. The amount of oil on the exhaust side that has leaked out is to the point it was dripping off everything in that side of the engine bay and all the way down the exhaust to the tip, not joking. The motor is an s13 blacktop with a t3-t4 60 trim turbo, z32 maf, blitz 850cc injs., fmic, and an apexi power fc to run the cursed thing. The way i look at it the head is coming off so i might as well replace the valve seals, head gasket, and other bits. Who's done this recently with which seals and gaskets and how do you like em or dislike em? Did you run into anything odd I need to be prepared for? I'm really only looking for 350-400 hp eventually on this. I might even just get into the bottom end too when i have it apart but for now im just lookin to get the head back to normal so im no the asshole smoking everyone out on the road.

AdrenalineS14
08-22-2011, 08:34 PM
go to frsport.com for valve seals get the supertech ones there ass cheap and just as good or better then oem nissan ones.... get a head gasket from them too id stick with apexi, tomei, cosworth, or even a mazworx... if you get a cometic head gasket(its cheaper than others) just make sure you use a permatex copper spray rtv and spray both sides of the head gasket and let it tack up a bit then install, cause i heard that the cometic one doesn't seal as good as the more expensive brands out there but imo id use that permatex copper spray on any head gasket it helps seal better once its cured and helps transfer heat a tiny bit since it has copper in it.

ShadowMan
08-23-2011, 11:37 AM
I also noticed when the car is running, and i give it some gas, smoke also comes out of the valve cover breather. Has anyone ever had a headgasket go out and "not" had their coolant and oil mix together?

ShadowMan
08-24-2011, 08:42 PM
So i wiped everything down and cleaned up as much oil as possible and took it down the street and back to see if the oil leak would present itself. The dipstick was pushed out and thats where all the oil was coming out of. So i guess its a hole in the piston or the rings. I pulled the spark plug and looked down inside, just oil on the piston, no holes or cracks from what i could see, so im pulling the motor and rebuilding it. I'll take some pics if anyone's interested. I'm taking this time to clean up the engine bay as well as hunt down a few gremlins here and there too. FML.