PDA

View Full Version : "like new" Car Rebuild

mastaflash05
11-19-2003, 07:40 PM
well i got my 240 ~400$, auto with blown motor. and im planning to swap the motor, and prety much improve/replace/fix the car to make it like a brand new car. what i need to know is what i should replace. like common wear points, or trouble spots that i should look for. i have seen bushing kits, and the like. just if you have any advice for me let me know please.

Var
11-19-2003, 09:15 PM
change your tension rod bushings cause they'll crack if they havent already. get polyurethane.

mastaflash05
11-20-2003, 04:54 AM
is that the one rod in front that loks like 0---l ? i thin ki have seen them f/s with bushings already in them for like 90$, but the bushings alone for like 45. is it hard to press in the bushings/remove the old?

riot
11-20-2003, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by mastaflash05
is that the one rod in front that loks like 0---l ? i thin ki have seen them f/s with bushings already in them for like 90$, but the bushings alone for like 45. is it hard to press in the bushings/remove the old?

bushings? you don't need no stinkin' bushings!!!

THX1138
11-20-2003, 06:50 PM
If you have access to a press, then tension rod bushings are not that hard to change. I haven't done the rest of the bushings yet, so I can't comment there. There is (or was) a nice write up on installing the TC rod bushings on www.240sx.org/atlanta that can come in handy.

As for other stuff to refresh the car, change all the fluids. If you're doing a motor and transmission swap, that basically leaves diff oil and brake fluid. Oops, I forgot the power steering fluid, which you should replace with ATF.

Inspect the brakes. If the pads or rotors are thin, get new ones. If the seals on the calipers are cracked or torn, either rebuild the calipers or get new (rebuilt, really) from your favorite auto parts store.

Check all the fuses and light bulbs, and weatherstripping around doors, sunroof, and hatch/trunk.

Anything else?

mastaflash05
11-20-2003, 08:32 PM
yeah, i will be replacing motor and trans so that is covered. i am replacing the brakes. with either new pads, and turned rotors if i keep them stock, or if i have enough money ill do a 300z brake swap. i hear ya on the fluids. my brake fluid is like brown. ill definatly be getting that old nasty stuff out. i was also planning on changing the gear oil in the differential. the car does have decent tires on it, so its good there. im just looking for the little things that are overlooked that help the car run better, or longer. its the little things that count.

aznpoopy
11-21-2003, 08:35 AM
yeah, i will be replacing motor and trans so that is covered.

unless you're getting a brand spanking new engine, treat it like any other old engine. check the belts, pulleys, alternator, distributor. check the tranny and speed sensor and stuffs. check if not change the clutch flywheel pressure plate etc. check the oil pan for dents or leakage. get a leakdown test performed on the engine. check the throwout bearing (might as well replace that). change all of your major filters. check timing chain and associated components on the engine. maybe you'll want to go ahead, get a timing chain kit and do a complete timing chain overhaul. there's alot of stuff that is going to need attention and $$$, and there are alot of things that are 10x easier to do when everything is out of the car. take advantage of it.

the head
11-21-2003, 11:13 AM
I did what you are doing with my 240 as well i replaced every bushing i could get plus new brakes and lines i got all spherical bearing parts as i replaced them the only stock arms in my suspension are the front and rear lower control arms it is a hell of alot of work but soon i will be able to get the damn thing registered (if my front bumper ever shows up) good luck man

mastaflash05
11-21-2003, 12:06 PM
and there are alot of things that are 10x easier to do when everything is out of the car. take advantage of it. [/B][/QUOTE]

yeah i understand this, and id rather do the things before the car gets back on the road.