PDA

View Full Version : nissan pulsar gtir question

Drift-Freak
08-16-2011, 09:22 PM
i dunno where i should ask this but my brother has a nissan pulsar gtir and he turned it over a few times than he went to turn it over again turn the key nothing and i turn the headlights on and only one goes on and its dimm the cd player dont go on and he did relocate the batterie to the back so if anyone has any ideas please let me know thanks

surfpac
08-16-2011, 09:37 PM
check for loose wire. make sure that the wire from battery to starter is properly fastened. Also, check where he grounded the negative end of battery to body. Make sure it's a good ground. You can add a couple more grounds too.

Sileighty_85
08-16-2011, 09:48 PM
Need better grounds from battery to chassis and Engine to Chassis

Drift-Freak
08-16-2011, 10:47 PM
he has interior light dash lights power window wont work brake lights work could it still be a ground issue

chiboy002
08-16-2011, 10:54 PM
im almost 100% positive lights are always grounded through the loom. I've never seen a light (brakes, turn signals, headlight, interior) ground to the body.

Components such as the window motor might because it is a metal housing, so it saves money on wire costs/weight i guess.

Drift-Freak
08-16-2011, 11:05 PM
so what could cause it to all of a sudden not turn over im thinking it might be a relay or something

JVD
08-16-2011, 11:10 PM
Doesn't matter what type of car. Troubleshooting a non-starting car is always the same. Start with the most basic.

Test the battery, alternator, etc. Check fuses/relays. Check grounds/connections. Check starter.

Drift-Freak
08-16-2011, 11:23 PM
well it did start for about 5 times than he went in to town comes home trys to start it and nothing would it be a ignition coil ?

chiboy002
08-16-2011, 11:30 PM
no, an ignition coil won't just work then not work.

A dizzy might work cold then die when its hot but if the car isn't getting any power it's probably not the distributor. Check with all the big fuses first, and try a continuity test between the positive terminal and the body of the car. Maybe there is a short somewhere from when he relocated

Alternator might be dying and that's why, he might have missed some wire somewhere and the battery isn't charging since the alternator isn't hooked up or something. Check the charging system...

Try jumping the car... so forth

Start with the biggest, easiest problems first. Battery, Fuses, Relays, Alternator, and so forth.

Use a good Multimeter.