PDA

View Full Version : ka24de-t fuel problem?

NeedsMoreInput
08-16-2011, 12:43 AM
I have an 89 s13 coupe with a ka24 single cam engine thats turboe'd.

It has 3k on rebuild, and has a hx35 holset turbo.
Some parts:
External waste gate, fmic, b.o.v, turbo exhaust manifold,3in downpipe, turbo intake manifold, dont know much more..

Basically when i turn the car on it idles fine, at a steady 1.5k rpm, and i am able to rev it up to redline. but when it gets out of boost and comes back down, it idles funny and i have to press the gas pedal a good few times until it maintains the steady idle again, it wants to turn off.. as if its not getting fuel.

When im driving it drives fine until 4.3-4.6k rpms and the fuel cuts off and doesnt want to go past that. while driving, if i push in clutch or put in neutral it dies so i either have to rev it, or put it into gear to keep it on, and when i come to a stop/ out of boost, it wants to shut off so i needs to press the pedal a bit. i just turn it off and turn it back on when lights go green and it idles fine, and just a repeating process.

When i bought the car, it came with a fuel management unit as well, previous owner said it just needs a tune or fmu installed.

Can anyone give me a solution to my problem? it'd be greatly appreciated!

mad-ass
08-16-2011, 12:46 AM
what's your fuel setup?
pump? injectors? filter?

NeedsMoreInput
08-16-2011, 12:54 AM
"Stock, stock, and i beleive stock.. not too sure, but thats what previous owner said i beleive?"

mad-ass
08-16-2011, 01:02 AM
that will be your problem. you are leaning out way too much!

list of things I would recommend you getting.

Walbro 255 intake fuel pump. there are many forum vendors that sell it at a very good price on Zilvia.
Z32 TT fuel filter. buy it brand new from Auto parts store. it's cheap! $12~18 out the door
bigger injectors!!! not sure on SOHC KA what you can use...but you really need bigger injectors then stock.
FPR/Fuel pressure regulator.

that should solve your problem.

edit: if your car was tuned before with a fuel map, might want to check into what happened with it. look into upgrading all your fuel parts and get a good tune on it.

also check on your MAF. might be "bad"

rcdad123
08-16-2011, 01:56 AM
tighten your blow off valve, that will keep the engine running when you let off the gas. look at the blow off valve`s valve. it should be close at idle(around 19 inches of vacuum). if it`s open, you need to loosen the adjustment screw lock nut so you can turn the bolt clockwise until the valve is close. rev the engine a couple of times and make sure the engine does not die when you let off the gas. if it still dies, you need to tighten the blow off valve some more. as for the cutting out at hi rpm, yes it is very lean. and if you keep doing it, it`ll melt the pistons. get the stuff that mad-ass said. also get colder spark plugs, i prefer NGK BKR-7E gapped to about .015, the small gap will keep the spark plugs lit at boost. also retard the ignition timing. 1 degree per pound of boost worked for me. and get a boost dependent fuel pressure regulator. you can ask around for the ratio(example would be a 12-1, meaning for every pound of boost, your fuel pressure will go up 12 psi over stock). but be careful, fuel injectors usually don`t like fuel pressures higher than 80 psi. good luck with your car.

willysk8
08-16-2011, 09:39 AM
that will be your problem. you are leaning out way too much!

list of things I would recommend you getting.

Walbro 255 intake fuel pump. there are many forum vendors that sell it at a very good price on Zilvia.
Z32 TT fuel filter. buy it brand new from Auto parts store. it's cheap! $12~18 out the door
bigger injectors!!! not sure on SOHC KA what you can use...but you really need bigger injectors then stock.
FPR/Fuel pressure regulator.

that should solve your problem.

edit: if your car was tuned before with a fuel map, might want to check into what happened with it. look into upgrading all your fuel parts and get a good tune on it.

also check on your MAF. might be "bad"

it is defiantly your fuel set up and check your fuel lines.