PDA

View Full Version : Running on 2 cylinders?

Danial
07-31-2011, 04:52 PM
I just bought a 1992 240, and this is the first week i've driven it. All of a sudden when i started the car it lost all of the power and torque and sounds spacey and weak. There's a bit of a whine sometimes but no clanking or anything bad. I've been burning oil also.

My friend thinks it sounds like I need to replace a couple of injectors and im gonna start the inspection of the problem tomorrow after work, but I just wanted to get some ideas of what commonly goes wrong in this area from you guys

Also, I think this may be that I have a broken/ mising motor mount, but the engine is shaking alot, so much so that the shifter will actually shake your arm at idle or first. If this is a motor mount problem, why does the shaking stop when im in higher gears?

Thanks,
Dan

codyace
07-31-2011, 06:32 PM
Check for spark
Check for fuel
CHeck for air

In any order. That's the key diagnosis step list.

With a 20 year old Japanese car, anything and everything can and will go wrong.

driftxninja
07-31-2011, 07:41 PM
i agree it sounds like injectors... my engine was vicious when only 1 injector didn't fire ... but if you KNOW that you are missing a motor mount or broken one, i would replace that first.

Danial
08-01-2011, 07:24 AM
Thanks Codyace, this may sound dumb but how do I check for air flow? I have some work to do sectioning off the cold air from the hot engine air right now. how the guy before me had it set up, the car is basically pulling cold air out of a 2 inch tube coming into the front right of the engine bay and theres an AEM intake, but theres no separation between hot and cool air

I figured I would
pull the plugs, clean and gap
pull the injectors and see if they're fouled

I ran sea foam green through the engine a week ago after I bought it and there was a noticeable gain in bottom end torque. I figure that it was just good hadnt been cleaning itself very well, but could this be telling me something else?

driftxninja yea its rocking pretty substantially even just at idle, I had to be somewhere yesterday so i didnt get a chance to look, but when I do where are the motor mounts located? is it 2 front and 2 back or what?

driftxninja
08-01-2011, 07:49 AM
ok and you said it stabilizes when you pick up speed right? that happened to mine also .... motor mounts are right on the sides. look by the black box on the intake and go down it is right there and then by the oil filter another one. should be 2 14mm bolts holding down

Danial
08-01-2011, 08:19 AM
Yea it definitely stabilizes with speed, at idle its so bad i'm actually turning the car at red lights, same as yours so definitely a mounting issue then
you have any suggestions on the best approach to getting cheap mounts? while im asking, how about refurbished injectors?

driftxninja
08-02-2011, 05:31 AM
hmmmm well im not sure about cheap mounts i would just go ahead and find some OEM ones if that is indeed the problem, i don't know if i was clear my problem was actually an injector not firing so i would change the injectors unless your for sure that the mount is busted :D and the cheapest i have seen injectors, well i would try to find some on zilvia or ebay or something that is being sold cheaper, or autozone has them for 98 each new.

Danial
08-02-2011, 07:58 AM
I had trouble inspecting the mounts yesterday as it thunderstormed as soon as I got off work womp. :bash: I need to get some lights so I can work at night

Are you saying that the shaking could be from the injector also? I have a friend at sport honda going through the car today after he drops a 1Jz into some old lady's car lol so hopefully all my problems will be answered in the next day or two and I can just start the repairs

driftxninja
08-03-2011, 10:04 AM
haha nice but yea when i first bought my car i had one of my injectors stop firing so the cylinder just didn't go, my engine was shaking so much it was crazy...soon as i fixed the injector it was fine

Danial
08-03-2011, 12:46 PM
Yup I need 2 new injectors and apparently all my exhaust gas is coming out of the first spot because the runner is clogged. and a relay caught fire in the shop yesterday cuz it shorted to ground buhhhhh

That's what I get for picking up this car for $1500

driftxninja
08-03-2011, 06:27 PM
Damnnnnn dude thats insane... that really sucks but good luck with the car man... and for the price of all this you might just wanna pick up a new engine haha sike idk how much that would cost i would guess the shop labor tag is gonna be pretty heavy though

Danial
08-04-2011, 08:44 AM
Yea its gonna be bad but alot I can just do in my friends' garages

Im gonna take it to Absolute Pro Performance and see what they'll charge me, theyre fair with price, but some of the stuff I need is actually pretty in depth, im burning oil from a cylinder too
How much would a new KA cost me with under 50k on it?

driftxninja
08-04-2011, 08:54 AM
thats a good idea doing some of the work yourself but yea some of that unless you really know how to tear down the engine is gonna have to be done by a shop. damn new ka with little miles might run pretty high .... i just tried searching for it on goog. couldn't really find anything... some site wanted like 2600 i was like wtf and they gave no description of it. you may wanna look in the For Sale section on here and see if there is anything or ask some people for a good engine buying site cause i don't know any... lol.

Danial
08-04-2011, 09:13 AM
Looks like ebay they're running 750 800 with shipping

it would be a shame to let this engine go though, only 65k on it, someone just ripped it up a bit, the LSD is so loose and the clutch is barren, definitely drifted hard

driftxninja
08-08-2011, 08:14 AM
damnnnn thats crazy i didn't check ebay cause sometimes people rip you off there but thats pretty low miles. that really sucks to get rid of !