PDA

View Full Version : who can solder a KA harness?

mixedwell
11-13-2003, 03:34 AM
would anyone know how to solder up a cut ka24DE harness? i have a wiring harness in two pieces (all wires bunched in shrink wrap) the wires are cut near the grommit uh... the firewall. i have everything there, nothing missing.

-mixedwell ;)

PM me!

mrmephistopheles
11-13-2003, 08:11 AM
yuck.
that's going to be a royal pain in the arse.

why was it cut there? you do that? :axe:
it's sooo NOT hard to pull a wiring harness intact.

anyway, just match wire colors.
you still might not be able to get it perfect, but it'll get you close.

oh, and this belongs in Tech Talk.

Xren17
11-13-2003, 11:48 AM
I can do it for you, it's not hard at all. I'm in San Diego but I'll be in the LA area this friday nite if you need help.

DamnedButDetermined
11-13-2003, 03:59 PM
This is what i read in a toyota techician manual at work. strip the insulation back I think it was 5/8" and get a butt connector along with shrink wrap. Slide the shrink wrap onto one of the wires and push it out of the way. take your two wires and insert them into opposite ends of the butt connector and use a crimping tool to make a single crimp in the middle of the connector. Make sure both wires are secured by the crimp, before soldering, for the solder is not a strong connection. Then take your soldering iron and heat the connector until the solder melts into the connection, and pull the solder away once it starts to leak out the other side of the connector. DO NOT HEAT THE SOLDER ITSELF! Now slide the shrink wrap over the entire connection and heat until you have a nice and pretty seal!

HAVE FUN... It sure as hell isn't as easy as it sounds.

DbD

deviousKA
11-13-2003, 04:11 PM
DbD listed the proper way to do this. Use butt connectors without plastic covering. Another thing, make sure to stagger your splices, this part of your wiring will become very thick, and possibly longer or shorter. so be prepared to deal with that. Oh on sheilded wires your must connect the sheilding as well. Ive done this a few times, it takes a lot of time and patience

mixedwell
11-13-2003, 08:38 PM
thanks alot everyone. man... this is gonna be alot of hard work. do you think it would be worth just buying a whole new harness instead? i mean at least an intact harness?

mrmephistopheles- forgive me. i did cut it. :wtc:
i thought it was the quickest way to remove it. and that dman plastic part was really frustrating. now i know.

Xren17- what part of LA will you be at? and how much will you be willing to charge? i really dont have any soldering equipment, and im not sure how to do this. if you can help me out.. ill give you a nice Razo turbo timer. :D

-mixedwell ;)

Xren17
11-13-2003, 09:19 PM
I'll be in Lakewood, email me at [email protected] and I'll give you a call or you can give me a call at 619 675 2104
and ask for Ren