PDA

View Full Version : blown motor question...NEED HELP head swap?

mixedwell
11-13-2003, 03:27 AM
hey guys... im trying to rebuild my ka24de back to running order but heres the problem. a while ago, the car over heated and the head was destroyed. the chain guide on top was broken and the spark plugs wires were stuck, melted inside. sucks. i got a new ka24de but the block is busted. looks like a rod blew through the block. really big hole, halfsize of a golf ball and a really nice shiny rod. but yeah, the head looks perfect.

would i be able to swap the heads with no problem?
ie- bad compression :(

and does blown block = broken head? :(

does blown head = broken block? :(

BTW these are both from 91 KA24DEs

thanks alot yall.
-mixedwell ;)

aznpoopy
11-13-2003, 10:33 AM
why bother with all this when you can get a running ka24de for a few hundred bucks...? imo, buy another ka24, sell ur blown engines.

mixedwell
11-13-2003, 08:40 PM
ahh... maybe you are right. but that wasnt my question. but thanks for trying anyways.

so can i drop in the new head to my working block? hope this doesnt fcuk wiht the compresion. blah blah blah.

-mixedwell ;)

BeteNoir
11-13-2003, 09:37 PM
If the motor threw a rod it was probably due to lack of lubrication. Valvetrain components are very sensitive to low oil conditions. This doesn't necessarily mean that the head is bad. But you will wan't to examine it thoroughly first.

I think it should be ok, but there is no way to tell unless you disassemble and inspect each.

PAnut240
11-13-2003, 09:46 PM
I had a similar problem with my SR. When a con Rod lets loose it can cause the piston to smack the head. I suggest taking it to a machine shop and having a complete rebuild of the head done..ie valves, springs, planeing.ect. There shouldn't be any problems after that. Just remember always use anti-sease on any moving part. good luck

mixedwell
11-14-2003, 12:15 PM
looked at the head, and it looks perfect. man the manifold was a bitch to remove. are you sure we need all that stuff there? the SR was never this hard.... anyways so the head looks good. i checked the plugs and it looked sooty and burnt. there was also fine oil covering the plugs, and it didnt look that bad. i took off my distributor as well. do i need an preperation to remove my head? do i have to match the head with the block? and if do, how do i do that? *sigh*

-mixedwell ;)

ps- thanks for the help everyone. very usefull. we're almost there.

BeteNoir
11-14-2003, 03:55 PM
Sounds good. As long as the surface of the head is flat you should be ok. Check it with a straigh edge longitudinally and diagonally. Same with the block. You will need to carefully prep the head and the block, of course.If the head or the block need to be decked it will be more trouble than its worth.