PDA

View Full Version : What is this thing really???

Negreac
11-12-2003, 01:09 AM
This guy claims this is a "A/C computer" from an sr, but as far as I know there is no such thing, and I should know since I stripped down my 180sx clip to every last bolt. Here's the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33545&item=2442493919

I don't remember seeing anything like this. It almost looks like an ECU or possibly a saftey systems control computer.

F3600
11-12-2003, 07:38 AM
maybe its a TCU an Ecu for an automatic transmission.. ?

why we would need a computer for a/c ?

Huh:confused:

SiDeWaYs S150sx
11-12-2003, 12:22 PM
That's probably right, the 240 has an A/C control unit that looks like that.

stumpz
11-12-2003, 04:09 PM
yeah umm...i believe it has a slight resemblance to the computer that sits right behind your ebrake.

Negreac
11-12-2003, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by stumpz
yeah umm...i believe it has a slight resemblance to the computer that sits right behind your ebrake.

That's the seatbelt control system, def. not the same thing.

Negreac
11-12-2003, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by SiDeWaYs S150sx
That's probably right, the 240 has an A/C control unit that looks like that.

Where is it located?

Fibercus
11-13-2003, 01:02 AM
I found something identical while doing my manual swap and I had to remove it to fit the clutch pedal assembly

been running great without it so far :D

BTW my A/C works fine... so it was prob Auto tranny unit

TwoFourO
11-13-2003, 02:07 AM
That looks almost identical to the metal box that sits just back and to the right of the passenger seat behind the plastic arm rest for the back seat. AC Control Unit?? I would assume this is located in the same place on the 180sx as the 240. Given the location of this item, it would be no surprise you wouldn't have come upon it while tearing apart your front clip.

stumpz
11-13-2003, 04:07 AM
if it runs normally and ish doesn't blow up..then u don need it :P

Negreac
11-13-2003, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by TwoFourO
That looks almost identical to the metal box that sits just back and to the right of the passenger seat behind the plastic arm rest for the back seat. AC Control Unit?? I would assume this is located in the same place on the 180sx as the 240. Given the location of this item, it would be no surprise you wouldn't have come upon it while tearing apart your front clip.

hmmm.... I've completly stripped my interior down as well, and when I say completly I mean completly (everything that can be removed has been at one point or another). I don't remember any unit being there but I'd have to double check to be sure. Anyway, if I had to guess it would be some kind of auto tranny control unit since I wouldn't have it in my car or clip, thus why I've never seen it. Either way I'm positive it isn't an a/c control unit.

SiDeWaYs S150sx
11-13-2003, 08:59 AM
go look where ur ecu is, but up more and towards the firewall, my car has a little control unit that looks like that, pretty sure it's for the a/c

HiPSI
11-13-2003, 09:38 AM
i just tore down my 180sx clip and it has the auto climate control so i'm guessing there's a computer in there i haven't gotten to yet or was ripped out when they cut it in half. i know my conquest had the same basic climate control setup and it had a big ECU to control it. my clip has a photosensor on the dash and a temperature sensor on the lower dash panel on the passenger's side for the auto function and on the dash unit it has a button for "auto" cliumate control.

so basically that was just a long winded way to say that it's very possible it's an AC computer.

Negreac
11-13-2003, 12:30 PM
I'm at college right now so I can't go searching around my 240 until this weekend. I know it's not a/c because I swapped all the digital climate control components(which includes all the a/c components) into my 240 and I've never seen that thing, and yes it all works so I know that has nothing to do with ac. The Digital CC is all controlled within the headunit, there is no seperate control unit.

Fibercus
11-13-2003, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by Negreac
hmmm.... I've completly stripped my interior down as well, and when I say completly I mean completly (everything that can be removed has been at one point or another). I don't remember any unit being there but I'd have to double check to be sure. Anyway, if I had to guess it would be some kind of auto tranny control unit since I wouldn't have it in my car or clip, thus why I've never seen it. Either way I'm positive it isn't an a/c control unit.

Manual or Auto?

Negreac
11-14-2003, 12:45 AM
My car is a stick.

Fibercus
11-14-2003, 01:16 AM
manual = thus you couldnt find it ;)

Negreac
11-14-2003, 06:13 PM
Right, that's why I said:

Originally posted by Negreac
Anyway, if I had to guess it would be some kind of auto tranny control unit since I wouldn't have it in my car or clip, thus why I've never seen it.

Fibercus
11-15-2003, 12:27 AM
Doh! my bad, lazy me