PDA

View Full Version : Car Not Starting

riot
11-11-2003, 08:40 PM
First and foremost...my car is bone stock. No modifications. It was involved in a collision over a year ago in which battery acid was released from the battery. It was all neutralized as soon as possible. All of the wiring/hoses were inspected and have held up fine.

I noticed my car having difficulties starting recently. Now it absolutely will not start at all. When I try to start it I hear a click under the dash and a click in the engine bay (relays).

My starter was tested and is fine.

Any suggestions?

-ryan

onevia90
11-12-2003, 10:56 PM
try a new battery and check all of your connections just to be sure...how old is your battery

Titan
11-12-2003, 11:25 PM
Do your accessories work in the 'on' position?
Have you tried jumping it?
Grab a multi-meter and check the battery's voltage.

adey
11-13-2003, 03:14 AM
it's funny (or sucky), I have the exact same problem. Starter worked in the car it was taken out of, but all I hear is the clicks of the relays. Battery reads 12.27 volts... fuses/relays all seem to be good...........?!?!!

riot
11-13-2003, 07:45 AM
The battery is fine. I tried jumping the car with no luck. I think I found the problem. On Tues as I was testing all the wiring/relays/etc I finally resorted to going under the dash where I saw a wire in the ignition harness was cut. It was then spliced into this harness type thing that looks like this:

http://www.riotdesigns.com/wtf/2.jpg
http://www.riotdesigns.com/wtf/4.jpg

I tested the wire it was spliced into...Starter Signal :-D

So lets hope that was the problem.

-ryan

adey
11-14-2003, 12:01 AM
thanks for the info, I'll try that too.
When did the car stop starting, and was there any type of outside influence (accident or sth like that) that might have instigated this? Sounds kinda odd that it would suddenly stop starting.

oh right, by "under the dash" did you mean take off the dash (pain in ass) or did you mean literally underneath/below the dash? Whereabouts? (near steering column, I'd assume)

riot
11-14-2003, 07:44 AM
After removing this "starter kill" or whatever it is I rewired the starter signal wire and tried starting the car. No luck. I went to the blue relay (ignition relay???) in the engine bay and tested the starter signal there...it was good...but it wasn't outputing any signal...which means the relay is bad.

So I pulled the relay out shook it...banged on it a little bit and popped it back in, and dare I say the car hasn't started this well since I bought it! :) Hopefully I can go without replacing that sucker for at least until I get my clip.

Time will tell.

Anywho...problem solved.

-ryan

adey
11-14-2003, 07:01 PM
Nice, thanks for the information/tips! I'll try that out this weekend.
Cheers!