PDA

View Full Version : 3rd gear whine

statik
11-11-2003, 12:23 PM
When im driving in 3rd gear i can hear a whine coming from the tranny, no other gears tho. does this mean my 3rd gear is bad?

F3600
11-11-2003, 04:32 PM
my tranny was doing the same.. but i never seen any bad effect to this..

statik
11-11-2003, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by F3600
my tranny was doing the same.. but i never seen any bad effect to this..

was meaning it was and now it stopped? or was and still is with no problem?

F3600
11-11-2003, 06:50 PM
well my car is parted now but i drived the car 1.5 years with this whining ... and no problem at all !:)

statik
11-11-2003, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by F3600
well my car is parted now but i drived the car 1.5 years with this whining ... and no problem at all !:)

i see, anyone know why it does whine tho?, just pisses me off

twitchy
11-11-2003, 08:16 PM
i thought it was just me...maybe it is...I always that through hard acceleration there is a noise in third gear and a little in fourth thats not present anywhere else. I didnt think it was my tranny though, it almost sounded like it was an intake kind of noise which I dont think makes any sense.

Its not really a different sound, its just another sound overlapping the regular sound. But I could swear it sounds like intake. I will record it soon and post the vid, you can hear for yourselves

holisticbeatz
11-11-2003, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by statik
i see, anyone know why it does whine tho?, just pisses me off

Welcome to the world of 240SX gremlins. I would've kept the Impreza.

Not sure why your 3rd gear whines. And you probably won't get a straight answer till you open up the tranny. A friend of mine had a similar problem on his kouki S14, except it whined from all the gears except 1st. It sounded pretty cool though, sorta like a turbo spooling up. Anyhow, he did want to bother with opening up the tranny, so he ended up with buying a used tranny from a 91 KA.

It's a good thing your friend gave you $3,000 ontop of the S14 for your Impreza. You could use that $3,000 to fix all the problems that you've just inherited.

statik
11-11-2003, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by holisticbeatz
Welcome to the world of 240SX gremlins. I would've kept the Impreza.

Not sure why your 3rd gear whines. And you probably won't get a straight answer till you open up the tranny. A friend of mine had a similar problem on his kouki S14, except it whined from all the gears except 1st. It sounded pretty cool though, sorta like a turbo spooling up. Anyhow, he did want to bother with opening up the tranny, so he ended up with buying a used tranny from a 91 KA.

It's a good thing your friend gave you $3,000 ontop of the S14 for your Impreza. You could use that $3,000 to fix all the problems that you've just inherited.

your supposed to be supportive!, but i know the car has problems, i just love RWD, and i love the way the car looks. I dont regret my swap and I know i have a long road ahead of me till the car is "done" in my head but im ready for it

twitchy
11-12-2003, 08:00 AM
MY car doesnt have gremlins...cept sometimes when the rear wiper stays on after i turn it off

hookedup240
11-12-2003, 09:45 AM
i have a whine sometimes too but it has been doing it since i got it 3+ years ago, i've had no problems, maybe that's just how the trans sounds.

aznpoopy
11-12-2003, 11:39 AM
i also have a strange noise from my tranny. 3rd gear also, except only during engine break or throttle lift off. also if i put my hand on the shifter it will go away. pretty weird. not too worried, b/c a used ka24de tranny is cheap anyway. if ur really worried about it, get a used tranny, swap it in and rebuild ur old tranny over time. good learning experience too.

twitchy
11-12-2003, 11:56 AM
ever drive a MX6 V6??

all you can hear is the tranny spinning and they say its perfectly normal

statik
11-12-2003, 12:00 PM
mine whines under acceleration in 3rd, if i take my foot off the gas it stops, and if i take it out of gear it stops

SilviaSR20DET
11-12-2003, 02:43 PM
I have that whining sound in fifth gear which is very noticeable and my friend thinks its sounds like a supercharger. But i only got that sound when i installed my B&M shortshifter.

statik
11-12-2003, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by SilviaSR20DET
I have that whining sound in fifth gear which is very noticeable and my friend thinks its sounds like a supercharger. But i only got that sound when i installed my B&M shortshifter.

hmm i do have a B&M

RBS14
11-12-2003, 02:59 PM
sounds to me like someone slipped in a straight cut 3rd gear in some of your guys' trannies without you knowing!!:yum: :aw:

hookedup240
11-12-2003, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by statik
hmm i do have a B&M

me too

RBS14
11-12-2003, 04:10 PM
I'm no genius here but i think i see a common thread between all you guys whith this problem........

the B&M shifter.

Call me Captain Obvious!

Bill Roberts
11-12-2003, 04:49 PM
Not a gremlin...although, it would be nice if it was :)

The sycronizer is worn and it <b>IS</b> a sandwich piece that goes between the mating gears on the shaft to mesh the gears without grind.

Two things cause this.

Syncro brass meshing wheel is shaven from wear..

Shaft bearing has "end play"

Once the gears are not locked in the perfect position of mating, the bevel gears will "sing". They will wear uneven and it is a time bomb...but a damn long one. Gear "sing" can go on for years with no ill effects, just change your tranny fliud more often as the music of the gears is <b>WEAR</b>. Metal shavings add up when gear sing and I recommend 10K gear oil changes to get them out of the tranny case.
\\
:D

When you have bearing wear, then you have more gear wear, eventually, it will come apart. Our trannies are robust and can take the punishment. Just lay off hard 3 gear rapping of the car, and it will last for many many more miles, like 100K more.:bowdown: Change that fluid.

:D :D :D

statik
11-12-2003, 04:53 PM
thanks alot! ill change my fluid this weekend

Bill Roberts
11-12-2003, 04:56 PM
RBS14

sounds to me like someone slipped in a straight cut 3rd gear in some of your guys' trannies without you knowing!!

LOL...damn strait cut gears are loud as hell WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEE