PDA

View Full Version : Hello Zilvia, Little problem with Ka, nothing big, maby...

0kami
11-11-2003, 02:41 AM
Hello Zilvia, I have a little problem with my KA, everytime I rev the car, I hear a very wierd (whine) coming from my engine, aside from the nasty sound of a stock KA24. I searched around the boards but I mostly hear things about the Timing Chain... And Im sure that's not my problem, do to the car not making the rattle noise, which I heard before. Friend of mine said it could the Timing Belt. It's a DOHC 94" motor by the way. Any suggestions? Is this a serious issue? or can it wait to be fixed? Cause I just turned 17, I purchased this car 2 day's ago, I dont like to ask my friends when it comes to stuff like this on "knowing solutions" becouse most of them give me shit instead of help. So hopefully you guy's can be of some help.

Thank You.

0kami
11-11-2003, 08:03 AM
Anybody?

BeatJunky
11-11-2003, 08:09 AM
I've never really heard of a whine... weird!

Sit tight, someone should respond promptly with some helpful info if available. The only thing I can suggest at this time is to search around here for a while. Many wonders will soon surface.

-Omar

PS: Maybe you have a tiny midget supercharger!:D YAY!:w00t:

0kami
11-11-2003, 09:45 AM
lol, it's not a good whine, I was testing it out again this morning, I noticed a slight slight rattle and very loud belt (bad)whine around 4-6k rpm

Startours7
11-11-2003, 09:51 AM
It's not a timing belt, 240's, and most other nissans have chains. That what it sounds like to me. It might just be a acc. belt that is louse or worn. Check it out for cracks and see if it's thight.

aznpoopy
11-11-2003, 11:35 AM
first check all ur belts. second check ur oil. are u running dry? when's the last time it was changed? the whine sound could be a very early timing chain rattle. when mine was getting loose it started sounding like a whine that gradually developed into a rattle b/c the chain was sliding against it very gently. btw there's nothing wrong with the sound of a stock ka24... :hammer:

btw 240sx has no timing belt, so smack whoever told you to check timing belt. and any time u got weird noises coming from your engine its not good. maybe not serious yet but don't just shrug it off! take care of your car. :boink: good luck!

misnomer
11-12-2003, 12:23 AM
Agreed, check your belts. Don't look for a timing belt, though :P Check fluids as well. I had a whining sound coming from my engine with revs, turned out to be the power steering system low on fluid.

Pop the hood, see if you can narrow down the source.

Flybert
11-12-2003, 02:40 AM
I'm going to have to agree with misnomer. It's probably your powersteering fluid. Fill it up and see if it goes away. Remember to use the right kind. Otherwise it sounds like a loose acc. belt.

fleaf
11-12-2003, 09:27 AM
do you ahve a sound system? If it's not wired correctly, you'll get this high whine whenever you rev. You can check if you turn off you head unit, the sound should go away. Just another possibly...

hookedup240
11-12-2003, 09:43 AM
could mean your alternator is starting to go...i had a weird whine and a couple days later my car wouldn't start...ended up being the alternator.

0kami
11-12-2003, 12:54 PM
Thank you for the feedback, I just purchased the car, checked the oil and it seemed very dark and smelled kindda bad, besides the fact that the car is a 93" it still has been sitting for a month or so before it was sold to me, so yeah it might just be the power steering, belt, or alternator.. though i dont have a problem starting the car up.
But anyway i'll eventually change the oil and power steering, but first i need a downpayment for insurance :hammer:

brage
11-12-2003, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by 0kami
Thank you for the feedback, I just purchased the car, checked the oil and it seemed very dark and smelled kindda bad, besides the fact that the car is a 93" it still has been sitting for a month or so before it was sold to me, so yeah it might just be the power steering, belt, or alternator.. though i dont have a problem starting the car up.
But anyway i'll eventually change the oil and power steering, but first i need a downpayment for insurance :hammer:

You really should change the oil in the car ASAP... it is EASY, and you can probably do it for around $10 using normal oil. REPLACE THE OIL FILTER.

Dream240
11-12-2003, 02:12 PM
Well, definitely don't drive the car until you've got insurance and an oil change. Also the power steering fluid problem as earlier mentioned should only rear it's ugly head when you turn the wheel.
Have you stuck your head under the hood to listen and try to pinpoint the whine?

Most likely its one of your 3 belts. It could be anyone of them so have them checked(or do it yourself)and you should find the problem.

Good Luck!

240Stilo
11-13-2003, 12:02 AM
Our cars use automatic transmission fluid for the power steering also. According to factory service manual...."DEXRON II type or equivalent." I just used mobil 1 ATF. Didn't check if it's equivalent and what not but it sure hasn't been giving me trouble.