PDA

View Full Version : s14-RB Brake Booster/Downpipe interference

skazat
07-23-2011, 10:44 AM
Finishing up my rb swap into my s14 and the downpipe was made to fit a s14 with manual brake booster and my s14 was an auto so i have the fatter booster. Well after denting in the downpipe i finally got it to fit but its very close to the booster (couple thousandths). I tried doing research about the effects this would have on the booster but havent found anything other than a slight rattle that might occur.

Will the brake booster heat up to the point that it will kill the diaphragm? Im gonna see if i can get some kinda shield on there, maybe that stuff thats like foil with a sticky side and wrap that around the booster. but if its that close to the downpipe will that even do anything for me? Just wondering if anyone has any input on this. Maybe Ill get some pics up so you have an idea of what Im dealing with.

ch1873857
07-23-2011, 11:28 AM
the gold reflective tape is amazing for cases like this. the fact that its almost touching wouldnt really do it any good. suggest getting the right brake booster? or you can do what im doing and run a tilton pedal box that has no booster :D

jr_ss
07-23-2011, 11:42 AM
Why don't you just buy a manual booster and be done with it?

skazat
07-23-2011, 12:10 PM
i was thinking about that but after a discussion i found out that alot of people goto the auto booster when upgrading to 300zx brakes which is something ill be doing soon. i figured the bigger the better.

If it wasnt such a pain to get the downpipe off and out of the car i would pull it out and modify it, but to remove it it requires almost pulling the motor out. I was thinking about about maybe just cutting it out and running a some 3" flex pipe as my down pipe

jr_ss
07-23-2011, 02:33 PM
There are many ways to use the 300zx brakes. I have an auto car which has the larger booster and master cylinder. You can get away with using the smaller booster and the 17/16" Z32 master cylinder though, just some information for ya.

skazat
07-23-2011, 06:20 PM
yeah i guess i could give that a shot. lol that would mean that i beat in the down pipe for no reason