PDA

View Full Version : ka Head noise! help! SOS!

s14j
07-23-2011, 01:40 AM
oky so i have this problem where there is a ticking or rattle sound comeing from my ka.
almost sounds like its a diesel motor -_-
im planing to pull out the motor next week and check the head closely
i just wanted to know who can pint me to the right direction
i know its not the timing chain its new although the noise is all from the head area.
or anyone around the LA Hollywood area can help me out by hearing the noise? lmk please im tired of hearing it and i want my car to be good im going back to school and i wont have time to deal with crap like this.

Tantwoforty
07-23-2011, 01:46 AM
take your valve cover off and see if you can find the noise, it can only really be a handfull of things
timing chain guide is most likeley.. could be chain smack or the guide itself is loose.
or it could be a loose cam cap...

s14j
07-23-2011, 01:49 AM
take your valve cover off and see if you can find the noise, it can only really be a handfull of things
timing chain guide is most likeley.. could be chain smack or the guide itself is loose.
or it could be a loose cam cap...

all the timing chain guides are off i rebuilt the hole motor to stock spec

btw in the morning when its really cold oil is thick so it wont make the noise till it warms up!

andisan
07-23-2011, 02:10 AM
maybe the shim valves? get a feeler gauge and check the gap, and see if its the recommended gap from the FSM

doomviillain
07-23-2011, 02:20 AM
all the timing chain guides are off i rebuilt the hole motor to stock spec

Ive rebuilt a KA before but is leaving ALL the chain guides out ok? The timing chain might have too much slack.

Tantwoforty
07-23-2011, 02:46 AM
all the guides? like the lower ones to?

Driftius_Maximus
07-23-2011, 08:47 AM
It could also be air in your lifters or just a bad lifter had this problem on my friends ka24e.

n8RPS13
07-23-2011, 09:08 AM
Is this a DE motor or an E more info will help. Dude if you didnt use any of the guides your timing chain is eventually gong to eat through your front timing cover wall that forms up to the water jacket and then your fucked. Put your timing chain guides back in! It could also be the lifters if it is a KA-E motor, and there is a thread somwhere on how to bleed those. Its fairly simple, but I would definately install your timing chain guides back on. The very most upper one is not needed.

Driftius_Maximus
07-23-2011, 09:30 AM
Is this a DE motor or an E more info will help. Dude if you didnt use any of the guides your timing chain is eventually gong to eat through your front timing cover wall that forms up to the water jacket and then your fucked. Put your timing chain guides back in! It could also be the lifters if it is a KA-E motor, and there is a thread somwhere on how to bleed those. Its fairly simple, but I would definately install your timing chain guides back on. The very most upper one is not needed.

I agree. The ka-e I was talking about had the timing cover problem too. Replace those guides before you have a huge headache on your hands.

rcdad123
07-23-2011, 11:42 AM
if it`s not as loud when it`s cold, it could be the chain tensioner. when engine/oil is cold, the oil pressure would be high and cause a worn tensioner to work, till the oil gets thin when it gets hot, then the pressure would go down and would not be enough to push the tensioner rod out, thus the tension on the chain goes away, plus if you did take all of the chain guides out, would make it even worse. replace all of the chain guides, except the one on top between the cam gears and replace the chain tensioners, or at least the one on the bottom.

StryfeS13
07-23-2011, 04:05 PM
Take the valve cover off, check your shim clearances, take the cams out and clean EVERYTHING and it will get quiet.

And as for the guides, you NEED the lower guides. You can remove the top guides, but don't mistake the top tensioner for a guide...

driftxninja
07-23-2011, 05:10 PM
whoever said the chain would eat through timing cover...

just saying Nissan made an announcement that deemed the top guide unusable... as in not needed so it can be removed.

s14j
07-23-2011, 07:07 PM
of coures i wouldnt take off the lower guide thats suicide -_-
im talking about the 2 top ones

for every ones its a dual cam ka24de
haven't checked clearance yet but will do hopefully this Monday.

i got a whole timig kit with new tensioners

iv oped it up from the top to see what it was theres no slack on the chain
all i need to check is the clearance but haven't had time to