PDA

View Full Version : Helmets Snellmets

Maeda
11-10-2003, 01:50 PM
Ok its come time for me to purchase a helmet...

I'm looking around and I can't figure out if Snell MA is the same as Snell M...

Should I just go with a nice SA rated helmet instead? o.O

This is for a wanna-be trackrat, going only a few times a year.

AceInHole
11-10-2003, 02:05 PM
SA is built purposefully for automotive use.
M is for motorcycle use.

Generally you need an SA helmet for track events.
Autocrosses generally allow either.

thx247
11-10-2003, 03:51 PM
SA = Special Applications

The differences between SA and M used to be quite large in terms of faceplate strength, multiple impact durability and eye port size. With the latest round of helmets the differences are quite small if any at all. Most M2000 helmets pass SA2000 helmet crash tests. The differences in helmet crash tests are how many impacts and the shape of the material the helmet impacts. SA helmets use a round metal piece very similar to what you would see in a car - a roll bar.

The largest difference right now is that SA helmets MUST have a liner made of fire retardant materials. M helmets do not need this liner.

There are some clubs over the US that now allow M and SA helmets at track events because of the very similar performance either helmet offers.

Maeda
11-12-2003, 12:04 AM
Now thats the kind of info I was looking for!

THANKS!

MovinUp-1
11-12-2003, 08:43 AM
My suggestion would be to get an SA helmet. You'll never have a question about your helmet if it's SA. And you can keep a helmet for years. You may want to try a Solo I or other track day in the future that may require an SA.

thx247
11-12-2003, 01:34 PM
found that because the go fast crack pipe addiction runs very strong with me its easiest to get two helmets, a M rated one for BS like autox, karting and whatever. and a SA helmet for track

sykikchimp
11-16-2003, 08:32 PM
why couldn't you use your SA helmet for Auto-x? I use mine for everything from motorcycles, to auto-x to track days.

thx247
11-17-2003, 02:33 PM
oh you can, but since auto x is just a beat around sorta fun thing for me I don't want to use a nice helmet for it. Same thing as karting.

THX1138
11-17-2003, 07:58 PM
Judging by the handful of SA helmets I've tried on, they tend to be a little bit lighter than my cheap Chinese POS M helmet. That can help the comfort factor out a lot. I figure in a year or so (maybe sooner if I manage to do any track days) I'll get an SA-rated Bell and donate the POS to my school's sports car club.

sykikchimp
11-17-2003, 08:55 PM
that's cool. I understand. Helmets get beat up fast.

My simpson helmet is kind of heavy, actually, heavier than almost every other helmet I tried. It just fit really well. My roommates Bieffe is awesome.. cool paint, and light weight.