PDA

View Full Version : building the ka

slos14
11-10-2003, 12:24 AM
so ok heres whats up i have a 96 240 and i know i want turbo but the way stuff is going now with avery one puting in the sr. i like being the diff one out of the group so i want to build the ka ..so far i am looking at ross pistons,pauter rods,apr headstuds,the t66turbo i would like to sell ,manifold and front mount .. i was just wanting to know if any one else has built there ka on the board ... so i could get some info from them.. please let me know

justin-

andrave
11-10-2003, 10:36 AM
what was the question?

slos14
11-10-2003, 11:26 AM
what else do i need is this even a good idea or what

justin-

Jeff240sx
11-10-2003, 03:44 PM
Many people have built KA's, myself included.
If you won't put the effort into formulating a question, using proper punctuation and grammar, then many people.. myself included, won't put the effort into helping you.
-Jeff

andrave
11-10-2003, 05:48 PM
I think its a stupid idea, you should concentrate on swapping in a motor from the new hybrid prius. that way you will get better gas mileage.

Nismopu
11-10-2003, 06:10 PM
This guy probably should have formulated his question, then stated his particulars. Start off with your expectations dude! ex. " I would like about 350hp. Is this easy to obtain/ how sould I go about achieving this kind of HP?"

slos14
11-10-2003, 06:12 PM
first off jeff dude i dont know u but u seem like a prick ..it was like 7am when i wrote that i was kinda out of it ..so u don't have to be a dick ...all i was wanting to know is what all do i need to build the motor and if the parts I listed were any good cause not to many people built the ka's where i am from so all i was doing was asking for some advice. so if you have any i would really like for you to give it to me...

thanxs
justin-

slos14
11-10-2003, 06:14 PM
I am shooting for around 300-350 at wheels ...

Evil S14
11-10-2003, 07:31 PM
you can safely make 300 on stock internals, theres a few people on here that did it and are still doing it

andrave
11-10-2003, 08:19 PM
I think you could even do it with stock injectors.. they are probably good up 750 horsepower or so.
Stock pistons, stock rings, stock clutch even.
maybe even get 900 HP out of it if you went with twin T51R's...

turbo240sx
11-10-2003, 08:55 PM
hey "slos14" pm me if you have any questions. ill give you some ideas

and who cares if its properly punctuated or not you know what he meant jeff. no need to be an ass. we are all here for the same reason. sharing of info. so get off your high horse and give him a break.

gwong
11-10-2003, 09:21 PM
Hey man, I think you're local, and if you have any questions about turboing your KA, ASK ME! I actually have a spare KA turbo motor laying around that I would like to get rid of, so maybe you'd be interested...

DamnedButDetermined
11-10-2003, 10:58 PM
I really feel like a dick saying this but that little red button on the top right will really help you out. I asked this same type of question but with a little more effort.

http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?s=&threadid=39060

that is what you need to do to fully rebuild your KA

DbD

RedlineRacer
11-11-2003, 06:06 AM
Hey man, I'll help you out. Jeff isn't a dick, he's actually a pretty cool guy. Just try to search more before you ask a question, because almost every question asked now has been answered at least once. But a KA is good engine to turbo. Like Jeff said, alot of people on this board have it done. But you will need to change the injectors (only good up to 4 psi and you need to run a S-AFC with upgraded injectors), fuel pump, 3" exhaust, FMIC, upgraded MAFS (only good up to 240hp 93 cobra or a Z32 are the most popular). I think the internals are only good around 12 psi, so you will need to upgrade those if you are wanting around 300-350rwhp.

boosteds14
11-11-2003, 09:31 AM
well your best bet is to search for other ppl's setups

here is my setup for 450rwhp
http://www.cipmotorsports.com/store/files/rides/jricca/index.html

Evil S14
11-11-2003, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by RedlineRacer
Hey man, I'll help you out. Jeff isn't a dick, he's actually a pretty cool guy. Just try to search more before you ask a question, because almost every question asked now has been answered at least once. But a KA is good engine to turbo. Like Jeff said, alot of people on this board have it done. But you will need to change the injectors (only good up to 4 psi and you need to run a S-AFC with upgraded injectors), fuel pump, 3" exhaust, FMIC, upgraded MAFS (only good up to 240hp 93 cobra or a Z32 are the most popular). I think the internals are only good around 12 psi, so you will need to upgrade those if you are wanting around 300-350rwhp.

actually you can run 370 injectors and hack your MAFS, thats what i do and it runs fine.

also if you have an emange with the pressure sensor you dont need to change out your MAFS since it takes over once the voltage is maxed out on your MAF

WilloW
11-11-2003, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by boosteds14

That's a hell of a car you've got there man, you must be proud.:D

DamnedButDetermined
11-11-2003, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by Evil S14
actually you can run 370 injectors and hack your MAFS, thats what i do and it runs fine.

also if you have an emange with the pressure sensor you dont need to change out your MAFS since it takes over once the voltage is maxed out on your MAF

I keep hearing about this but what is involved with hacking MAFS'? Sorry i am not very good with electronics.

Originally posted by boosteds14

How much did it cost you to have your block o-ringed, bored over, and your crank polished and balanced? Also no-one ever says what kind of bearings they use but i am getting very interested in everyones choice and why they came to it. I really don't want to buy something that is WAY overkill, but I defenately don't ever want them to be the reason my engine failed.

peace,
DbD

Evil S14
11-11-2003, 08:20 PM
it only works on s14 mafs, but it invloves cutting all theplatic tube out from around the mafs leaving just the probe, then putting it in a larger tube. theres more info on orions site

www.ka24development.com

misnomer
11-12-2003, 12:48 AM
Jeff does have a point. Although grammar online is a lost cause anymore anyhow, it is MUCH easier to help when we know what you're looking for. And, Jeff being one of the few who has built, blown up, and rebuilt a KA. . . Let's just say he's gettin' good at it ;-)

When you're looking at a turbo build, always start with a goal, how much money you will pour into it, and how reliable you expect it to be. 300 to 350 at the wheels can be done without opening up the engine. Hell, some claim it can be done reliably :P Basically need a decent turbo and good fuel management. Lower compression pistons and stronger rods will help your reliability, as will just opening the engine and doing a general rebuild to factory specs. The turbo you mentioned may be overkill for a 300hp car-- and keep in mind that the trim is just as important as the size.

Anyhow, hacked MAFS are a neato concept. . . Just tricky to impliment. Once I get better financial backing (new job. . .), I may investigate hacking an s13 MAFS

RedlineRacer
11-12-2003, 06:22 AM
A hacked S14 MAFS will work on an S13 right?

andrave
11-12-2003, 11:03 PM
thats a good question, there was a thread about it on nico but no one answered defintitevly, I think what was agreed on was something like "yeah, that might work."

RedlineRacer
11-13-2003, 11:26 AM
I read on kadevelopment.com that a guy used a hacked MAFS and 370 injectors on a N/A engine. Anyone know how that worked out?

slos14
11-15-2003, 01:20 AM
thanks for the help ... sorry if i came off to some of you as being a dick but i hate when people cant just help some one out .. but for all of you that did help me thanks alot it really helped ...

justin-

orion::S14
11-16-2003, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by RedlineRacer
I read on kadevelopment.com that a guy used a hacked MAFS and 370 injectors on a N/A engine...

That's me...and read closer. It was N/A for 1 week until I got the turbo on, then it's been kickin' ass since February. I did manage to blow a motor due to detonation...I was running a JWT N/A ECU with too much timing, and that did it in at ~6psi.

New motor, back to stock ECU, and base timing at ~17...made 248rwhp at 8psi.

Been doing track events, auto-x, and lot's of street miles since, no issues.

Just got a wideband last week...A/Fs look like 11.7-12.5 under boost, and 14.2-14.9 under part throttle cruising.

Perfect.

Later - Brian

mbmbmb23
11-16-2003, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by andrave
I think you could even do it with stock injectors.. they are probably good up 750 horsepower or so.
Stock pistons, stock rings, stock clutch even.
maybe even get 900 HP out of it if you went with twin T51R's...

Bah!