PDA

View Full Version : 300zx front brake swap issues....

buentellomma
07-20-2011, 04:22 AM
i recently did the tt300zx front brake swap on my s13, redrilled the rotors, got ss brake lines, and installed everything and without my wheel on my hub will turn but as soon as i tighten the wheel down the hub doesnt turn. im using aftermarket wheels with room for the larger brakes so its not hitting the rim, i also have spacers so has anyone run into this issue before?:duh:

http://i763.photobucket.com/albums/xx280/buentellomma/240sx%20progression/2011-07-19_20-01-54_91.jpg
http://i763.photobucket.com/albums/xx280/buentellomma/240sx%20progression/2011-07-19_20-02-34_623.jpg

altalti
07-20-2011, 06:04 AM
Its gotta be rubbing the wheel on the inside is all I can think. Have you looked at the center of the rim. Hope you get this fixed soon so you can enjoy those brakes:yum:.

blueshark123
07-20-2011, 07:48 AM
dumb answer but your sure the brakes arent tight on the rotor ? or did u already have that all bolted when u spined it without the wheel. It can also be the rotor was loose and u just tightend it with the wheel so it caused the calipers to clamp down on the rotors a bit more. Did u try driving it yet?

buentellomma
07-20-2011, 08:28 AM
dumb answer but your sure the brakes arent tight on the rotor ? or did u already have that all bolted when u spined it without the wheel. It can also be the rotor was loose and u just tightend it with the wheel so it caused the calipers to clamp down on the rotors a bit more. Did u try driving it yet?

everything is bolted down, pulled the wheel back off and spun the rotor, got someone to hit the brakes everything worked, spun the rotor again, put the wheel back on loose, still spun but once i tighten the lugs the wheel doesnt move, its so tight that i tried to drive it and it was just dragging the front wheels to i dont know... when i get home im going to pull the wheels off again and get under it with a light

bb4_96
07-20-2011, 08:57 AM
Your problem doesn't make any sense. Either:

-Your caliper is contacting the wheel at some point
-you effed up your redrill and the disc is contacting the caliper
-your wheel and/or tire are binding on your suspension/wheel well somewhere

buentellomma
07-20-2011, 09:24 AM
Your problem doesn't make any sense. Either:

-Your caliper is contacting the wheel at some point
-you effed up your redrill and the disc is contacting the caliper
-your wheel and/or tire are binding on your suspension/wheel well somewhere

yeah i know, wheels are not the problem they were fine with the stock brakes plus i have a spacer. nothing is touching the suspension, once the wheel is torqued either on jacks or on the ground it doesnt move. im thinking its an issue with the rotor

codyace
07-20-2011, 09:35 AM
Check for rotor to caliper contact, it's the only thing I can see that would prvent it from spinning

bb4_96
07-20-2011, 09:57 AM
try tightening up the rotor with the lugs and see if it still spins freeishly. If not you have to be rubbing w/ wheel or tire.

buentellomma
07-20-2011, 10:00 AM
Check for rotor to caliper contact, it's the only thing I can see that would prvent it from spinning
thats what im thinking, stock z rotor i redrilled bolted everything up spins fine without a wheel. i thought my calipers were bad but they work. ill post an update in a few hours when i get home

Sileighty_85
07-20-2011, 01:16 PM
what rotors did you redrill? If the Rotor's offsets are wrong then when you tighten down the rim it will bind.

Kinda like when you use 30mm rotors on 26mm calipers

jr_ss
07-20-2011, 02:19 PM
Yeah, you're binding the rotor on to the caliper. Something here isn't the right offset and it has to do with the brakes not the wheels...

As stated, tighten your rotors down without the wheel on and take a look. I bet the rotor is getting pushed into the caliper, or caliper bracket.

daftphunk
07-20-2011, 02:29 PM
Yeah what I don't understand is why are the rotors redrilled? You might have the wrong rotors.

NickIsAZero
07-20-2011, 02:34 PM
Did you use Z32 rotors or S-chassis rotors?
My friend had the same issue with his car when he did the 5lug swap/Z32 brakes on his S13. He got the wrong rotors.

codyace
07-20-2011, 02:54 PM
As above, could this be an issue of 26mm vs 30mm rotors as well? 30mm won't fit in the 'gap' that the 26 ones have at all.

Sezio
07-20-2011, 02:56 PM
I got it I got it lol... What I think is that the bolts for the caliper may be too long and are contacting the rotor from the inside. When you have the wheel off the rotor is loose, when you put the wheel on it straightens out the rotor to where it should be causing it to contact the caliper bolts. Lol Idk just my 2 cents. I just installed R33 calipers on mine and had to put washers on the bolts that I used.

buentellomma
07-20-2011, 02:59 PM
I have 30mm rotors and calipers. The rotorrs are drilled right, it was the bolts holding the calipers on was too long.and they were pressed against the rotors. Problem solved

cdlong
07-20-2011, 03:28 PM
the bolts for the caliper may be too long and are contacting the rotor from the inside.

That's what I was thinking too, or he left out a washer. I've seen it happen.

Side note. OP, those are some of the best and most helpful pictures I've seen posted. Clear, helpful, detailed enough, not prefaced with "I had to use my phone to take these shitty pics because my camera was all the way upstairs."