PDA

View Full Version : Rb20det experts HELP ME PLEASE!!!

mocmiranda
07-14-2011, 07:45 AM
The car : 240sx with rb20det tranny

The problem: the s13 vehicle speed sensor works , reads 0.5 on multimeter, registers speed when spun by hand , pinion gear is not chewed up, what is wrong ??

Is there a way I have to install the speed sensor into the rb20 tranny , it fits perfect , bolts down and everything but when I drive nothing .
Any ideas ?

lilrussian
07-14-2011, 08:03 AM
Have you checked your gauge cluster? have you checked the wiring all the way from the speed sensor to the gauges?

mocmiranda
07-14-2011, 08:49 AM
Yes sir , everything fine from vss up to gauges , when I turn the red pinion gear ; it registers speed on cluster , just when I put it in the tranny , nothing
Y/L and y/b are the wires for my cluster dohc digital, and I know I know those cluster go bad with the intermitten working lol
But it a good cluster , I've tested it many ways. Just seems weird I can do it manually but not when it's in the tranny

lilrussian
07-14-2011, 10:28 AM
Yes sir , everything fine from vss up to gauges , when I turn the red pinion gear ; it registers speed on cluster , just when I put it in the tranny , nothing
Y/L and y/b are the wires for my cluster dohc digital, and I know I know those cluster go bad with the intermitten working lol
But it a good cluster , I've tested it many ways. Just seems weird I can do it manually but not when it's in the tranny

Sounds weird, my buddies RB20 in an s13 used the manual gauges from a dual cam and used an S13 speed sensor and the speed was right on.
What speed sensor you using? the teeth might not be hitting the gear inside the tranny.

mocmiranda
07-14-2011, 10:46 AM
Sounds weird, my buddies RB20 in an s13 used the manual gauges from a dual cam and used an S13 speed sensor and the speed was right on.
What speed sensor you using? the teeth might not be hitting the gear inside the tranny.

That's what I'm thinking too , but not sure why .
I'm using a s13 manual tran vss with red pinion gear teeth (20),aluminum outer shell I mean it's pretty much new .
The rb20 vss has 21 teeth but the vss's look identical in shape and everything .
Could you ask him if he attached a screw to hold it Down?
Or turned it another way to touch the inside gear of tranny?
Or did anything else ?

lilrussian
07-14-2011, 11:05 AM
That's what I'm thinking too , but not sure why .
I'm using a s13 manual tran vss with red pinion gear teeth (20),aluminum outer shell I mean it's pretty much new .
The rb20 vss has 21 teeth but the vss's look identical in shape and everything .
Could you ask him if he attached a screw to hold it Down?
Or turned it another way to touch the inside gear of tranny?
Or did anything else ?

Yeah I will ask him and a local RB guy aswell, see what they say.
My s14 RB doesn't have a speed sensor yet so I haven't personally did one haha
I'll get back to ya as soon as they text me back.

Vernal
07-14-2011, 11:56 AM
lift the wheels up and spin em, and check for a variance in voltage coming to the cluster. I remember the vss out of my SR had flat spots on the very end. the speedo stays at 0?