PDA

View Full Version : Not starting after auto to manual swap...

GetSidewayz
07-13-2011, 09:58 PM
Alright guys I ran into a slight problem somewhere in my s14 auto to manual swap. Heres what I did,
Replace 96' auto ECU with 96' manual ECU
Wired up the manual harness correctly
Jumped the top connector of the fuse box
Hooked up the backup lights
Neutral position switch
5th position switch

My problem is it wont start. Every swap mentions that once the top connector of the fuse box has been jumped, it will start. Mine wont start :wtf: I Installed the auto ECU to just see if the car will start, but no luck. When I turn the key the lights come on and everything works as it should, but when I go to start the motor, nothing. The ONLY thing i didnt do it hook up the ASCD clutch cancel switch. Is this my problem why it wont start? I read up on everything and it should start. I did not hook up my clutch line to slave cylinder line yet but that shouldnt have an impact on the car. I want to finish this car by the weekened as this is the only problem holding me back. Does anybody have ANY ideas? BTW, i thought my starter was bad, but I got it tested and its fine. When I turn the key, NOTHING. It makes no sound what so ever. Any help will be GREATLY appreciated! Thank you-Brett

DataXUnknown
07-13-2011, 10:04 PM
I can almost garuntee you it has something to do with that little sensor that a lot of us bypass on the clutch pedal. I would hook up that clutch cancel switch and then try starting it up, or if you can always push start it! Haha

Speaking of starting, is the starter wired in? Some things get overlooked

GetSidewayz
07-13-2011, 10:10 PM
I can almost garuntee you it has something to do with that little sensor that a lot of us bypass on the clutch pedal. I would hook up that clutch cancel switch and then try starting it up, or if you can always push start it! Haha

I thought of that today actually ( the sensor on the clutch pedal) I have an s13 clutch pedal.:ugh: Everything is correctly hooked up, no sensors though. I noticed theres 1 sensor? in the back of the pedal. I looked at my brothers s14 to compare and no wires are hooked up to it, but then i noticed another one (one that I dont have) is in front of the pedal. ( the switch gets pushed in when the clutch pedal is released)
Out of all the swaps ive seen, i saw NOTHING on the wiring on the clutch pedal so i figured nothing of it. The whole point of the fuse box loop around is that the car should start in ANY gear, even when the clutch is not depressed so im lost:tweak::picardfp:
Hopefully someone else whos done the swap can join in?

Vernal
07-13-2011, 11:53 PM
id check for power at the starter. If none, then trace back. Have a dmm (Harbor Freight has $10) on the window and crank and see where you're at

orion::S14
07-14-2011, 08:00 AM
Unless you wired the new clutch switch into the brake switch harness, then that's a non-issue.

The starter circuit will be completed and the car will "turn over" if you do nothing other than splice the 2 big wires behind the fuse box - The top plug.

The ECU will not prevent the car from *trying* to start.

You've either got:

-- A dead/dying battery (not enough juice to turn it over)

-- A corroded battery connection (can supply 12v to accessories and such, but not the amperage needed to turn the starter)

-- OR you didn't splice the correct plug (??)

- Brian

driftxninja
07-14-2011, 08:18 AM
yea like some one said... double check your starter wiring, make sure you did the neutral position switch correctly, just doing another once over on your wiring.

i did this swap last year and ran into no problems but was also on an s13 not s14

fullthrottle
07-14-2011, 08:35 AM
Auto cars have to be in park to start. Did you change it so the Ecu isn't looking for the car to be in park anymore?

GetSidewayz
07-14-2011, 09:00 AM
Unless you wired the new clutch switch into the brake switch harness, then that's a non-issue.

The starter circuit will be completed and the car will "turn over" if you do nothing other than splice the 2 big wires behind the fuse box - The top plug.

The ECU will not prevent the car from *trying* to start.

You've either got:

-- A dead/dying battery (not enough juice to turn it over)

-- A corroded battery connection (can supply 12v to accessories and such, but not the amperage needed to turn the starter)

-- OR you didn't splice the correct plug (??)

- Brian

My battery was going low and I hooked it up on the charger. When i turn the ignition on I can hear my fuel pump but no turn over. I will try another battery out.

The correct plug was spliced.

GetSidewayz
07-14-2011, 09:02 AM
Auto cars have to be in park to start. Did you change it so the Ecu isn't looking for the car to be in park anymore?

That makes sense. I swapped the auto ECU to a manual ECU. I plugged the auto ECU in just to check to see if it would start but nothing.

str84dapokie
07-14-2011, 09:08 AM
i JUST finished my swap this past weekend and the only you need to start the car is that top plug...
i havent wired anything from my trans yet and it runs great except for no speedo.

you might have a power issue...

GetSidewayz
07-14-2011, 09:15 AM
i JUST finished my swap this past weekend and the only you need to start the car is that top plug...
i havent wired anything from my trans yet and it runs great except for no speedo.

you might have a power issue...

Hmm, it must be a power issue then. Maybe I scruff up my connections to my starter and battery and other connections:confused:

GetSidewayz
07-14-2011, 07:35 PM
Well guys i found my problem... The 2nd to bottom connector on the fuse box (engine bay) needed to be hooked up. I spliced them together and she runs and drives beautifully! Thank you for the help!