PDA

View Full Version : Ka24E problem

luxatearna
07-12-2011, 02:35 PM
I have an 89 s13. Yesterday, I checked the oil and coolant level. There was no coolant in the radiator or reservoir, so I filled up the reservoir half way, and filled up the radiator a little. I took it for a drive and it ran fine. The car died when I put it in neutral and pressed the brake to stop at a stop sign. I had trouble starting it up again. When I actually got it started, it was idling extremely rough, at around 200-400 rpm. I had no choice but to drive it home like that or I'd be stuck. The gas pedal almost felt somewhat unresponsive, or late. The car almost over heated. Got to the line before H. I park the car and check under the hood. There's no coolant in the reservoir and the oil is milky. As if coolant had infiltrated the engine. I checked the radiator this morning and there was no coolant in it. I started the car also, it started, but idled very rough and 400-500 rpm, make all sorts of loud noises. It also spewed out a bunch of white smoke when I revved it a little.

GroundPerformance
07-12-2011, 03:25 PM
Sounds like a bad HG to me.. its also common for the KA24E to have the chain tensioner rub its way to the front cover and to the coolant passage way which causes the coolant to mix with oil.

luxatearna
07-12-2011, 11:40 PM
That makes a lot of sense. I took off the valve cover and saw a huge mess. Creamy textured stuff all over the place. And I noticed that the timing chain was extremely loose. You think it was the tensioner? Wasn't there a recall for the tensioner?

iveexcaped3
07-13-2011, 03:16 AM
Head gasket fer sure if its milky. Do the timing chain anyway since your gonna be 3/4 the way there

GroundPerformance
07-13-2011, 09:05 AM
That makes a lot of sense. I took off the valve cover and saw a huge mess. Creamy textured stuff all over the place. And I noticed that the timing chain was extremely loose. You think it was the tensioner? Wasn't there a recall for the tensioner?

I'd do a compression check first to help eliminate HG as the issue. If it passes then check the front cover and chain tensioner for the crack. If compression check failed then you will need both parts anyways for the rebuild or find another motor swap in. GL!

iveexcaped3
07-13-2011, 11:31 AM
The front cover doesn't have any coolant passages just oil.

GroundPerformance
07-13-2011, 04:16 PM
The front cover doesn't have any coolant passages just oil.

LOL... Last I check water pump is installed on the front cover for all KA so if installed there where else should it pass water. You sir are confusing it for an SR.

essforteen
07-13-2011, 04:30 PM
Head Gasket! Trust me i know from experiance! IF there is any mixture between oil and water the head gasket is almost always the problem!
A compression test wont always tell you symptoms of a gasket leak unless there is combustion gas going into the water passages!
Go rent a tester and check the cooling system if it leaks then you know head gasket!
Search: radiator cap tester | Cooling System Test Kit | AutoZone.com (http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Tools-Garage-and-Equipment/Cooling-System-Test-Kit/_/N-26l0?filterByKeyWord=radiator+cap+tester&fromString=search)

luxatearna
07-14-2011, 11:09 AM
Alright cool. I'll try it, thanks.

DataXUnknown
07-14-2011, 12:49 PM
When you do a HG it's a good idea to do the timing chain, main seal, and water pump since you have decent access to it and it will most likely need it anyway assuming you haven't done it already