PDA

View Full Version : Idea for new/better drift series

Matej
07-12-2011, 02:24 PM
Why is there not a drift series that is run just like rally?
That is, on 'touge' roads that are real roads closed off for the event, with spectators standing along the course.
There would be stages in scenic settings, and various car classes (drift racers, pretty cars, just-for-fun class, etc.).
I think I would watch that. Maybe.

Who do I pitch this idea to? I have it all thought out. :)

roboticnissan
07-12-2011, 02:35 PM
And it would be time attack like rally?

Matej
07-12-2011, 02:37 PM
And it would be time attack like rally?
Cars would have to drift as much of the course and as entertainingly as possible.
Tandem and time could be implemented of course.
Once the course is obtained for the weekend (or week), the types of events that could be run on it are numerous. There does not have to be only one.

Wake
07-12-2011, 02:55 PM
So more along the lines of pies peak?

Matej
07-12-2011, 02:58 PM
Yes, except with drifting on paved roads. And cars could also go downhill. :)
I bet the energy-drink-drinking New-Era-hat crowd would eat it up.

Wake
07-12-2011, 03:02 PM
Good luck finding a US city thats is down for ANYTHING that entails.

Remember? America, land of the free?

94spitfire91
07-12-2011, 03:13 PM
OP I have thougt about that too a bit i think the scenic blocked off public roads would be a lot of fun but yea getting it to happen could be hard

Wake
07-12-2011, 03:16 PM
somebody just needs to make friends with shawn white and travis pastrana. they let those kids do anything they fucking want.

sr20sean
07-12-2011, 03:22 PM
somebody just needs to make friends with shawn white and travis pastrana. they let those kids do anything they fucking want.

bahahaha

this is actually a pretty good idea. only downside i can think of is more kids thinking this would be a great idea and doing it on open streets

MrMigs
07-15-2011, 04:21 PM

Yes, but less tasty :tardrim:

Wake
07-15-2011, 04:25 PM
I meant fries peek.

http://i54.tinypic.com/nnwqrm.jpg

revcyanide
07-15-2011, 05:59 PM
pikes peak is in the process of being paved, will be fully paved next year. (its at probally 60-75% right now)
oh and its an awesome road to drift down, ask me how i know

fckillerbee
07-15-2011, 06:52 PM
people would crash and die.

look how many mistakes are just in formula D. now put those dudes on a mountain.

Teddy
07-15-2011, 08:16 PM
I would be totally down for this. Initial D for real.

But we all know if it DID happen America would turn it into some gay shit within a matter of a year.

chiboy002
07-15-2011, 10:03 PM
Remember? America, land of the free?
and small balls

First of all, fucking government would step it with how ridiculously dangerous and awesome it would be.

Second, i doubt any state would allow a mountain course to be closed and drifted on without huge checks being dished out.

The US doesnt any other motorsport interest aside from nascar compared to the world. Maybe in Europe or Japan where they have balls and are crazy

Karlitos
07-15-2011, 11:04 PM
I hate to say it and risking getting flammed but what Formula D needs is a more structured "point" scoring system. I know drifting is about style and having that would ruin the sport but FD technically already took drifting away from grassroots so might as well make it more structured... I feel many good drivers are getting cheated out of wins for people that bring in more money from having a name, (Gitten, Powers, the oldschool dudes) While people like Wilkerson will keep loosing because they do gangster entries and but they fall way behind. They need to add rules that make it so anyone can judge and make it not as biased. Make rules where it gives points for doing something according to rules and not based on opinion... IDK if you get what im trying to say but its just my opinion.

But they definitely need more venues in more places... Midwest is getting left out, So is texas and other places. Go back to Norcal and keep the 2 in So Cal. Make it more a "real" motorsport and not something thats opinionated.

rat240
07-25-2011, 12:24 AM
their was a drift demo at pikes peak
A long time ago

It was cool as shit

Om1kron
07-25-2011, 12:31 AM
to be quite honest, I have a better time watching amateurs drifting than I do at a sanctioned event full of fluff and advertising.

period.

Matej
07-25-2011, 12:55 AM
RVd7aPwC4xk

word sux
07-25-2011, 04:30 PM
I think an uphill would be ideal. less chance of death lulz

I think we have all thought about how badass this would be but how it would be pretty much impossible to pull off unless a MAJOR sponsor stepped up with tons of money and made it happen.

you can't get shit done in the country unless your filthy rich, if you are then you can pretty much do whatever you want but us peasents are screwed.

lflkajfj12123
07-25-2011, 08:49 PM
their was a drift demo at pikes peak
A long time ago

It was cool as shit

yeah didn't koguchi dirt drop off the side of the mountain in that falken s13?

i saw it in the drift book by antonio

MidwestMyriad
07-25-2011, 09:20 PM
http://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m625/landrover2011/IMG_0132.jpg

pacotaco345
07-25-2011, 11:27 PM
We need touge and scoring like Time vs Kudos in project gotham racing, the drivers would start the course with 0 seconds on the clock and be timed throughout the run, and whenever the car is sideways the clock pauses until the car is going straight again. Driver with the lowest time wins.

SinGarage
07-26-2011, 12:29 AM
Formula D needs to fade away. They need to bring back Group B rally!

teh smithers
07-26-2011, 12:58 AM
Formula D needs to fade away. They need to bring back Group B rally!

+1. For those who aren't familiar with Group B...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtR5OOHZSp4

You really only need to watch till about :23 to get the idea, but if you've got 11 spare minutes, WATCH.

But Group B was wiped out for the same reason that this new idea may never come to life- the danger was off the charts. Group B was cancelled partially due to numerous (seriously, a shitload, this idiots were insane) spectator injuries/deaths. If that could be eliminated...

word sux
07-26-2011, 04:43 AM
yea the big event that killed group b was the death in Argentina and they were all the spectators fault...

mattack69
07-26-2011, 05:11 AM
RVd7aPwC4xk

Second s15 is like fuck this bumper, why did i put it on anyways

towlie
07-26-2011, 07:20 AM
Fat chance of FD fading away/leaving. Record turn outs this year and consistent sell outs.

To much money to be made

Silverbullet
07-27-2011, 06:50 AM
^Watching a 600HP cars sliding is way more exciting than a 200HP car that barely passes inspection sliding.

I think an idea that can be capitolized is Ken Block style gymkhana events. Everyone has seen the videos, everyone thinks is sick. A combination of racing and drifting on a spectator friendly obstical course like Rally cross would get big.

MidwestMyriad
07-27-2011, 07:28 AM
Merchants of Cool

colidE
07-28-2011, 03:15 AM
maybe because it would cause so much trouble for the motorists.But really I would like to have one just like in the movies tokyo drift fas and the furious.

takyo_style
07-28-2011, 08:58 AM
rules suck... makes american motorsports so limited...

OBEEWON
07-28-2011, 09:06 AM

look how many mistakes are just in formula D. now put those dudes on a mountain.

Put FD on a mountain. Fix all that is wrong with drifting.

If you are part of the problem you are the problem. lol

Wabash9000
07-28-2011, 09:31 AM
I vote for this road.
Lariat Loop Rd/Lookout Mountain Rd to Lookout Mountain Rd - Google Maps (http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Lariat+Loop+Rd%2FLookout+Mountain+Rd&daddr=39.74377,-105.23974+to:Lookout+Mountain+Rd&hl=en&ll=39.739666,-105.234947&spn=0.0231,0.045447&sll=39.740194,-105.234346&sspn=0.0231,0.045447&geocode=FWJJXgIdHzG6-Q%3BFRpxXgIdRCu6-Sl1IhmSIZtrhzH7ArRfXCJYvg%3BFf5oXgId2Ue6-Q&mra=dpe&mrsp=1&sz=15&via=1&z=15)

tons of corners and switchbacks. Would be a dangerous road but that would add to the thrills.

s14derrick
07-28-2011, 03:39 PM
I vote for this road.
Lariat Loop Rd/Lookout Mountain Rd to Lookout Mountain Rd - Google Maps (http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Lariat+Loop+Rd%2FLookout+Mountain+Rd&daddr=39.74377,-105.23974+to:Lookout+Mountain+Rd&hl=en&ll=39.739666,-105.234947&spn=0.0231,0.045447&sll=39.740194,-105.234346&sspn=0.0231,0.045447&geocode=FWJJXgIdHzG6-Q%3BFRpxXgIdRCu6-Sl1IhmSIZtrhzH7ArRfXCJYvg%3BFf5oXgId2Ue6-Q&mra=dpe&mrsp=1&sz=15&via=1&z=15)

tons of corners and switchbacks. Would be a dangerous road but that would add to the thrills.
Would'nt be the first time someone has slid that road haha :naughtyd:

DenkiMan!
07-28-2011, 04:07 PM

i sort of agree with this. now correct me if im wrong, but drivers have no problem with going all out because they know they know their on a track and if they fuck up their line, theyll either hit the other driver, clip the wall or go off course or something and maybe lose a bumper, we see this in just about every other run down the track, in D1 as well

(although there have been cases where drivers do hit the wall crazy hard and get hospitalized, def not counting that out - the Saito/Kawabata D1 accident and more)

now im not JR lol, but i would think itd be a little tougher mentally to do this sort of thing when your coming strictly from an open track background, knowing that one fuck up in their driving isnt just a lost bumper from going into the fields of dirt their used to doing, but seriously fucking up their machines hitting a guard rail or even worse maiming a fan humping the rails

i think its a good idea because it would attract alot more fans, but its almost too dangerous i think.

maybe if there was a class that was made up of only the highest skilled drivers and THEY drifted the mountain/touge courses, you might have something there, like the most elite drift class in FD or whatever league would be the most popular...and really good drivers have to be voted into this class or something by the judges, idk my 2c's

raz0rbladez909
07-28-2011, 04:14 PM
i sort of agree with this. now correct me if im wrong, but drivers have no problem with going all out because they know they know their on a track and if they fuck up their line, theyll either hit the other driver, clip the wall or go off course or something and maybe lose a bumper, we see this in just about every other run down the track, in D1 as well

(although there have been cases where drivers do hit the wall crazy hard and get hospitalized, def not counting that out - the Saito/Kawabata D1 accident and more)

now im not JR lol, but i would think itd be a little tougher mentally to do this sort of thing when your coming strictly from an open track background, knowing that one fuck up in their driving isnt just a lost bumper from going into the fields of dirt their used to doing, but seriously fucking up their machines hitting a guard rail or even worse maiming a fan humping the rails

i think its a good idea because it would attract alot more fans, but its almost too dangerous i think.

maybe if there was a class that was made up of only the highest skilled drivers and THEY drifted the mountain/touge courses, you might have something there, like the most elite drift class in FD or whatever league would be the most popular...and really good drivers have to be voted into this class or something by the judges, idk my 2c's

I don't see too much of a problem with it honestly, look at rally drivers and their spectators, always pushing the limits and hell you have spectators running onto the track afterwards lol

DenkiMan!
07-28-2011, 04:28 PM
^^^ true, but if we are strictly talking about an American touge series, the drivers would have alot less experience with that mountain racing atmosphere as a whole, compared to the professional rally drivers dont u think? hence (in my opinion) the more frequent accidents

i just feel like itd be too dangerous of an idea for it to be an official thing, what with the reputation drifting already has to the unknowing public....ZOMG THEYRE GOING SIDEWAYZ

raz0rbladez909
07-28-2011, 04:35 PM
^^^ true, but if we are strictly talking about an American touge series, the drivers would have alot less experience with that mountain racing atmosphere as a whole, compared to the professional rally drivers dont u think? hence (in my opinion) the more frequent accidents

i just feel like itd be too dangerous of an idea for it to be an official thing, what with the reputation drifting already has to the unknowing public....ZOMG THEYRE GOING SIDEWAYZ

I remember quite a few years back the falken team went up to Pikes Peak for a drift demo, I don't recall anyone getting hurt but I do understand where you're coming from, I would say that most drivers that are professionally driving usually have quite a bit of skill and can adapt relatively quickly to different courses no?

Wake
07-28-2011, 04:45 PM
I was gonna say, if they cant adapt then they arent professional.

I personally know that kazama can drift about anything anywhere.

DenkiMan!
07-28-2011, 04:49 PM
yea i agree with that, they can adapt quickly. but in talks of making it a series where it would be a regular thing, id hate to sound like buzz killington or extremely negative, but something like that with regular race seasons and what not, but i just dont think the movers and the shakers would go for it...

what i mean by that is wouldnt you have to go through alot of government to get something like this approved since its public roads? in their eyes i bet they dont see the adaptation...just the motorsport of drifting and putting it on steep mountains lol...may not go over well. but like i said i still think its an awesome idea, just complicated if you know what i mean

Wake
07-28-2011, 04:51 PM
You have to go through a lot of government to get a purpose built track set up.

So yes, anything we do would require a fuckton of red tape.

Once again, America Land of the free.

raz0rbladez909
07-28-2011, 04:52 PM
yea i agree with that, they can adapt quickly. but in talks of making it a series where it would be a regular thing, id hate to sound like buzz killington or extremely negative, but something like that with regular race seasons and what not, but i just dont think the movers and the shakers would go for it...

what i mean by that is wouldnt you have to go through alot of government to get something like this approved since its public roads? in their eyes i bet they dont see the adaptation...just the motorsport of drifting and putting it on steep mountains lol...may not go over well. but like i said i still think its an awesome idea, just complicated if you know what i mean

Oh most definitely, I'm sure it's already hard enough to reserve a track day for formula d lol

DenkiMan!
07-28-2011, 05:06 PM
exactly haha, and yea you do have our formula d stars, but what about the lower ranked drivers who aren't that good?

AHA that's when my idea of the touge class being the elite, best class you can be in...and that would force drivers to become better and make less mistakes on the track with the elite touge class as their goal lol.

and comparing kazama or other D1 stars like that I don't think is fair, not saying their better but the majority of the D1 stars got their experience touge racing, if not all of them lol. once again not saying American drivers couldnt do it just as good, just saying it would take a little more adapting than D1 drivers who would be a little more keen and used to that surrounding, just like in video option, those mountains get crowded...it'd be just like home lol

majority of american drivers arent used to that and that adapting is where accidents happen

Wake
07-28-2011, 05:14 PM
Hence America blowing donkeys int the style and motorsports dept.

I think sometimes people forget the only racing we have contributed in the past 100 years is nascar and the indy 500

word sux
07-28-2011, 05:20 PM
what about tray sliding!

Prime
07-28-2011, 11:39 PM
I find it funny that no one has ever seen Indy running on the streets of Long Beach... which, as I recall from watching footage this year, were on public roads. With street signs swinging gently in the exhaust fumes.

So, it's not as though there is no precedent.

ericcastro
07-29-2011, 01:08 AM
But we all know if it DID happen America would turn it into some gay shit within a matter of a year.
Yeah, cause that half ass touge course in old option videos is so exciting.....

Second, i doubt any state would allow a mountain course to be closed and drifted on without huge checks being dished out.

You know how much a California wild fire cost??

And where are people gonna park for this event??

But Group B was wiped out for the same reason that this new idea may never come to life- the danger was off the charts. Group B was cancelled partially due to numerous (seriously, a shitload, this idiots were insane) spectator injuries/deaths. If that could be eliminated...
Someone post that old black and white rally picture where the guys is hanging his front tire over the cliff as he drifts.....

I think an idea that can be capitolized is Ken Block style gymkhana events. Everyone has seen the videos, everyone thinks is sick. A combination of racing and drifting on a spectator friendly obstical course like Rally cross would get big.
they did it at Irwindale, it was a total failure.

9Y0w_fNcfm4

DHtwUr-IkHM

The top Formula D drivers can do this all day long.
They make their money driving priceless cars (not in production yet, so they are car 1 of 3 prototypes), Doing a drift or ebrake slide through a real city, dry lake bed or mountain, a couple feet away from a camera crew, and a camera that cost more then their FD car does.

they are used to it.

Now the element of tandem and tire smoke is what gets em phazed at the track. So what you want to see on teh mountain, would probably end up being two cars drifting, 70 feet apart, down the center of the double yellow.

Isnt long beach exactly what we are talking about??
Doesnt Just Drift do contest on Horse Thief Mile?
Wasnt ASB at Streets of Willow?

Exactly what you said, just not tandem
(stop thinking everything drift related comes out of japan. Gatbill looks awesome BTW)
5MsWABSmUSM

M0zAFoklUr0

(http://youtu.be/9Y0w_fNcfm4)

Matej
07-29-2011, 02:14 AM
stop thinking everything drift related comes out of japan.
Stop thinking everyone who dislikes current drifting is automatically some Japan nerd.

ericcastro
07-29-2011, 02:39 AM
Stop thinking everyone who dislikes current drifting is automatically some Japan nerd.

Sorry, that was directed at the 98% that are ;)

rat240
07-29-2011, 02:47 AM
We just need to bring big x back to the us
it happed once

karl wasabi
07-29-2011, 03:02 AM
Why is there not a drift series that is run just like rally?
That is, on 'touge' roads that are real roads closed off for the event, with spectators standing along the course.
There would be stages in scenic settings, and various car classes (drift racers, pretty cars, just-for-fun class, etc.).
I think I would watch that. Maybe.

Who do I pitch this idea to? I have it all thought out. :)

It would be hard as hell to close off a canyon road for some new event and it would piss a lot of people off. Spectators on the side would be killed. If they were racing, why would they drift? Drifting is slower than actual racing. Drift race is an oxymoron. They would have to have like a million judges for all the corners or a helicopter following each car or something.

I would LOVE to see an FD comp at a more grassroots track like Horse Thief Mile or Streets of Willow. You get that street feel without being on actual streets.

fckillerbee
07-30-2011, 11:42 AM
I find it funny that no one has ever seen Indy running on the streets of Long Beach... which, as I recall from watching footage this year, were on public roads. With street signs swinging gently in the exhaust fumes.

So, it's not as though there is no precedent.

ummm...you can't compare FD to indy cars. The amount of money in an indy cars franchise could fund all of FD. shit. yesterday I just found out what formula 1's budget for a season is. and let me tell you....i fucking threw up it was that much.

http://www.fastmachines.com/f1/the-price-of-formula-1/ (http://www.fastmachines.com/f1/the-price-of-formula-1/)

so you take all the money of indy cars, and put that into FD. you will have the dopest drivers from the world competing on the dopest tracks.

towlie
07-30-2011, 05:24 PM
What the hell is formula D going to do with that amount of money?

Drift ferraris on tracks made of gold?

Compared to most motorsports, drifting is cheap.

Matej
07-30-2011, 05:41 PM
It would be hard as hell to close off a canyon road for some new event and it would piss a lot of people off. Spectators on the side would be killed. If they were racing, why would they drift? Drifting is slower than actual racing. Drift race is an oxymoron. They would have to have like a million judges for all the corners or a helicopter following each car or something.
It does not have to be a dangerous road nor a busy road, as any curvy paved park street/backroad would do. Also, it definitely would not need to be a rally-length course, 5-10 turns would suffice. Formula D events have one more turn than Nascar, which is pathetic for a 'motorsport' that is based on turning.

Prime
07-30-2011, 06:51 PM
ummm...you can't compare FD to indy cars. The amount of money in an indy cars franchise could fund all of FD. shit. yesterday I just found out what formula 1's budget for a season is. and let me tell you....i fucking threw up it was that much.

http://www.fastmachines.com/f1/the-price-of-formula-1/ (http://www.fastmachines.com/f1/the-price-of-formula-1/)

so you take all the money of indy cars, and put that into FD. you will have the dopest drivers from the world competing on the dopest tracks.

Well, Indy and F1 are completely different things, for one. For two, I never compared the cars or the budgets. I was simply addressing the people saying things like "The US sucks, nothing ever happens/it's impossible/blahblahblah". Sure, drifting the streets of Long Beach might be a stretch. But if Tanner Foust can get Mulholland, you think the entirety of a racing body he is a part of couldn't get something similar?

If you can sell it, it can happen. Period. Otherwise things like Formula D would never have started in the first place. Also, all of an Indy car franchise is not all of Formula D. Indy cars are basically kit cars. Every single piece of every single car is available to every single driver. The motors are standardized, the spaceframes, and you can run any aero you want so long as it's available to other teams. There have been straight up privateer teams running in Indy with no sponsors. Is it a lot of money? Sure. Is it F1 money? :hahano:

Matej
09-12-2011, 08:36 AM
Drift series in Poland.
77hhD1JoWIc

drift freaq
09-12-2011, 11:28 AM
^^^^ that is pretty damn cool and so would not fly stateside. Except at like the Long Beach Grand Prix and what not.

Oh and Tanner Foust got Mulholland because this Is Hollywood and anything involving the word film pretty much gets a green light. Oh and for quite a price. Plus the people that live on Mulholland will put up with the road being closed off for a day for filming, but not for a motorsports competition event. LOL forget it. Trust me money was passed around that is how it works. Oh and no they would not want to be paid extra to have all the people and the cars. A lot of very wealthy and famous people live up that road. They value the privacy and bitch enough about who run the road , bikes and cars already.

Oh and don't doubt what Castro says about this. He works on film crews and knows what it takes to close off the roads and all about the money being passed around. LOL

ATLspeed
09-12-2011, 08:01 PM
PNM1flBStLA?T=10S

roushman90
09-24-2011, 06:32 PM
One word: Environmentalists. End of story.

jasoncanseeoh
09-27-2011, 12:00 PM
Awwwww snapzzzzzz!

DMP Round 4 - Karpacz : Touge Europe on Vimeo (http://vimeo.com/29184991)

revcyanide
09-27-2011, 12:08 PM
Heres the biggest problem.

formula D consists of 3-4 turns.

you CANNOT pack as many people watching on the side of a mountain as you can at a race track.

THAT is why it will never happen in formula D

k0013
09-27-2011, 11:33 PM
it is clear based uopn the " popular " opinion of this forum audience that the Formula D organization would not pick this up. And to that I say good. its time for another group to say " hey here's an idea lets see if it works" remember back when "the big bad formula d" started "they" were the upstarts trying to take this Japaneses sport to an American audience. though faith determination and perseverance it is the sport that you see today. to that end i say shut up and make it happen if you want it so bad. there is already a series that uses public roads for their events in the US its called Rally America. if rallies can be held then touge cometitions can be held. dont know how they do it but they do it and that's the point. all this crying is making me sick. this is America damn it make it happen! End of line_________________________!

jasoncanseeoh
09-28-2011, 02:07 AM
Grammar. Work on it.

DenkiMan!
09-29-2011, 03:06 PM
check out the drift muscle video in the media section!!! it has alot of the ideas that were thrown around in this thread, its Tsuchiya's new drift series. pretty cool stuff

NoPistons!
10-02-2011, 05:52 PM
I dont watch american drifting unless it's people i know or support that keep shit real and keep shit fun. I dont care if it's on the street, crazy tracks, driveways, industrial parks, lots, whatever.

Keep drifting fun for you and like someone else said, if you want it bad enough get to work and make it happen.