PDA

View Full Version : HELP.. Half shaft pops out of diff..??

veeates36
06-30-2011, 12:37 AM
Hi.. Anybody ever encounter this..?? I recently threw on some RUCA's, Toe Rods and afterward had it aligned. 1st day out the alignment shop I'm on the freeway and it happens to pop out of the diff. housing as I slow down for traffic leaving me immobile.

I cant seem to figure exactly what is up. Oh yea, its a '91 S13 Coupe 5- Bolt. Shoud it matter. Thank you

sean350z
06-30-2011, 07:06 AM
Have you ever taken them out before, is it the original diff? There is a tiny c-clip that holds the half shaft into the diff. If it's not there they will come out.

veeates36
07-02-2011, 09:44 PM
Thank you .. Yes I have but only once before to install my LSD but that was almost 4 years ago and the c- clips are still in place. Sorry for the late reply

AutechKouki
07-02-2011, 11:03 PM
Your arms are adjusted all too far out. That's the only reason I can think of.

Breaker
07-03-2011, 10:12 PM
Just went through this. SilviaDriftVert is right, your arms are set too wide and the overlap on your cv/axles is too low. Feel inside the boot on the inner cv and you will feel the bearing poking out of the cv shell.
S14 axles are longer but re-aligning (possible with spacers for wheel fitment) will be best.
I just measured 3 different lengths of s13 and s14 6 bolt axles this weekend.

veeates36
07-05-2011, 02:06 AM
So say I was able to keep the axle from popping out. Is it still necessary to to correct the arm length..?

Thanks again for the responses.

Shadowhunter
07-05-2011, 02:11 AM
Even if it didnt pop out, if your putting that much stress on the CV joints expect to be buying new ones often. Yes correct the length and do it soon before something else gets damaged.

HYPNOTIK
07-05-2011, 05:54 AM
I had this problem before but it was because I was using the wrong output shafts with my diff and the C-clip wasn't seating properly. Got the correct shafts and all is good.

Dream240
10-06-2011, 09:41 AM
Hey guys, I'm jacking this thread sorry.

I just did half shafts on my 95' SE VSD & ABS, and I thought something was wierd when I pulled the old ones out and matched them up to the new ones I ordered. One of the new ones was shorter than my two old ones! The website that I ordered from shows that the left and right are two different part numbers. But my two old ones were the same size.

I put the two shafts in, shorter one on the passenger side. Car runs fine, and parts fit fine. So which one is supposed to be the shorter one? Also why would my car have two shafts of the same size if they're supposed to be different? The two shafts did look like they were from a scrap yard, they had yellow chalk markings on them.

Also this might help, I could not get passenger side diff flange out of the housing! That thing was completely jammed up in the diff housing. The driver's side came out real easy so I'm wondering if maybe someone replaced the shafts before me and just put two same size shafts in there? And the longer one on the passenger side messed up the diff flange?

Can anyone give me some feedback on what I should do at this point? And which shaft is supposed to be the shorter one?

Thanks.