PDA

View Full Version : S13 Starting Problem

TheImpalaKid
06-29-2011, 08:24 AM
I'm a relatively new S13 owner, although I am in my fifties.

My car isn't starting. The battery is good, and the dash lights up appropriately when the key is on, but nothing happens. No clicks, nothing.

A friend crossed the terminals on the starter with a screwdriver, and you can hear the starter spinning then, but the engine doesn't turn or start.

He thinks it's the starter solenoid.

If I can get away with replacing the solenoid only, I'd rather do that.

Anyone have some ideas or suggestions? Thanks.

Sileighty_85
06-29-2011, 10:49 AM
sounds like ths starter solenoid.

try smacking the solenoid with a hammer while trying to start it

If that doesnt work check for a 12V signal on the solenoid

TheImpalaKid
06-29-2011, 11:23 AM
We did try starting it while smacking the starter... nothing.

I'm going to try to get the starter off tomorrow night and then I can test it.

Thanks for the reply!

Mike

army240
06-29-2011, 08:40 PM
Look like the signal wire coming from the ignition switch doesn't receive voltage when you turn your key in the start position...

Check for voltage at the little rectangle terminal(single wire) that goes on the solenoid of the starter when you turn your key.

Frank

R@ddy
06-29-2011, 08:47 PM
if its a 5 speed, check that the neutral safety switch is working properly. its on your clutch pedal.

Mishkin_707
06-30-2011, 10:34 PM
#1 check your fuses under the hood could just be that

#2 check your battery and make sure the cables are connected on the right terminal neg to neg and pos to pos.

My cousin put his battery in and connected the cables backwards (GM side terminal battery) everything would light up and when we went to start it all we heard was the starter solenoid spin, I noticed the terminals so we switched them and it started up