PDA

View Full Version : car keeps on stalling!!!

91rusty240sx
11-02-2003, 10:44 PM
hey, im driving a 91 240sx. i was driving my 240 last week and came upon a stop sign. like any other stop signs, i stopped. but when i stopped, the car stalled. odd, i thought to myself, so i started it up...and stalled again...hmmmmm, now im getting mad because people around me were looking at me funny, so i start it up and drive off immediately, then came upon another stop sign... again, it stalls. does anyone know what the problem could be? some people have told me that the fuel filter may be the cause, so i changed the fuel filter, but it still stalls whenever i stop. also, this only happens when im driving the car. i tried to show some people how it was stalling, but when i was trying to rev it to make it stall, it wasnt stalling. and, it only happens after the engine has been warmed up... could it be the O2 sensor? :confused:

91rusty240sx
11-03-2003, 03:53 PM
can anyone help me on this? i really need to fix this problem so i can drive to school.

SiDeWaYs S150sx
11-03-2003, 06:50 PM
hmm, well since no one else has posted, i guess i could take a stab at it.

When's the last time u cleaned ur air filter? could have sumthin to do with that.

91CRXsiR
11-03-2003, 08:42 PM
this is my lil bro thats havin the problem,
the filter is new, its a KN style cone filter, w/ a AEM pipe. all connections are tight and MAF is clean.
my old 89 use to have this problem.
never fixed it before i crashed it so im stumped.

harryhood
11-03-2003, 09:20 PM
when I put on my k&n I had a similar problem. before you do anything expensive get some tb cleaner and hose that sucker off. mine was sticking open and causing me to stall.

91rusty240sx
11-04-2003, 01:58 AM
alright thanks, ill be cleaning the throttle body tomorow, ill let you guys know if itll run better.

MazzyMan
11-04-2003, 02:40 AM
In my opinion...check the fuel line...ensure that there is fuel running. Check your fuel filter and fuel pump too while you are at it.

Next...not sure if your engine runs an air flow meter but if it does you might wanna check that too...cleaning it canhelp if you have the unit on the car but its risky...so be careful.

There is also something which is called the idle valve sensor...not sure if your engine runs that or not.

Evil S14
11-04-2003, 09:48 AM
check to make sure there isnt any air between your throttle body and MAFS, making the car stall out, and also check to see if its your Idle Air valve

91rusty240sx
11-04-2003, 03:33 PM
where is the idle air valve located? i cleaned out the maf sensor and its not stalling anymore, but the idle still fluctuates when i come to a complete stop, but it corrects itself back to 700rpm. im planning to clean out the throttle body and maf sensor again to see if itll work better.

r2acres
11-04-2003, 05:29 PM
This sounds like a typical "coolant teperature sensor" problem, I had the same problem on mine, When your car warms up, the c. t. s. tells the computer that it is warm and leans out the fuel mixture, hence the stalling at stop signs. This is a cheap fix and very easy. Pm me if you have any troubles.;)

Evil S14
11-04-2003, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by Evil S14
check to make sure there isnt any air between your throttle body and MAFS, making the car stall out, and also check to see if its your Idle Air valve

what i meant to say was make sure there isnt a leak between ur MAF and the TB, damnit :o

MazzyMan
11-05-2003, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by r2acres
This sounds like a typical "coolant teperature sensor" problem, I had the same problem on mine, When your car warms up, the c. t. s. tells the computer that it is warm and leans out the fuel mixture, hence the stalling at stop signs. This is a cheap fix and very easy. Pm me if you have any troubles.;)

Yup...i am aware that this is also something that can be of fault! Thats reminds me...i need to get mine checked.

91rusty240sx
11-08-2003, 05:54 AM
hey guys, i just wanted to let you guys know the i cleaned out the throttle body, coolant temp sensor, and maf sensor today, and it fixed the problem. thanks to all who replied and gave their advice, i really appreciated your help.

mbmbmb23
11-08-2003, 09:30 AM
FYI, I've heard that if theres too much oil in your K&N, it can get on the MAF sensor and distort the readings.

-m

mistaanime
11-08-2003, 10:00 AM
I know wuts up..yeah..I have a 92 240sx..I use to have this problem until Dousan help out..he told me wuts up wit it..Get some carbotor cleaner...spray the throttle body..and theres a back section all the way at the end next to the header and juss clean it wit the spray...yea after I clean it i haven't had another one of those problems..I almost hit a mail box once..cuz it stalled. and my power steering cut off..it's an idle problem..

mistaanime
11-08-2003, 10:03 AM
juss read the top..kay...nvm..:D

spoonfed
11-18-2003, 07:02 PM
wheres the coolant temp sensor?

-usmd-180sx
12-09-2004, 07:26 PM
Hey guys.. Sorry to bring a thread from the dead.. but I thought I would use this instead of starting new cuz i have problem similiar but not totally.. check it out..

My car stalls too.. but when im DRVING!! i was driving down a city street.. and my engined died "stalled" out of nowhere.. while i was still in gear.. Thankfully i wasnt taking a turn or whatnot.. or on the freeway.. cuz it coulda gotten nasty...

And also.. when i start the motor after i have turned it off recently.. the idle goes crazy between 0-1000.. flucuating up and down.. boucning around..

And then i try to even it out by tapping the throttle a little.. and it does.. and then i drive it and my stalling occures.. WHILE DRIVING!

Can my problem be similiar to the one above..??

Cleaning the throttle body with carb cleaner? replace the air filter? clean the maf.. or replace it cuz i have a z32 1..? make sure that no air is between the maf and the tb..??

Any input would greatly be appreciated.. because it is dangerous driving like this . and i dont know the next time that it might die out on me... im scared.. =(

Also.. im running a no o2sensor at the moment.. could that also be partially at fault?

Mods : Sr20 (redtop), megan dp,megan outlet pipe, some nasty air filter i never replaced since i bought the car.. (kragen type), walbro 255 fuel pump, new fuel filter..

-usmd-180sx
12-09-2004, 08:43 PM
bump:

Plz help me out guys.. I've been doing some searching and also found out that it could be my AIV.. where is this actually located.. ill be sure to take a pic of my engine bay and have some arrows pointing in various spots im to guess where it could be .. thanks

drifter240
01-08-2005, 02:03 PM
I am also having the same problems with carbon fouled spark plugs. I'm going to try everything but I dont know where the AIV is. I am also going to check for a rich mixture.

katbak
01-08-2005, 06:18 PM
Hey

I HAD the same problem

I'm running on a redtop sr20det

I took it to a car shop and thought it was just an idling problem, so I had them up my idling RPMs, now my rpms only fluctuate (just like the other guy above me) they never hit 0 and stall...

While learning how to use my (bought with the new car) safc II I came upon this:

There is a mod called Dec-air (deceleration air upper limit setting)
And I quote form the manual:
"In the case of a turbo charged vehicle equipped with a hot wire type airflow sensor, the engline may be stalled by blow-back when the throttle is released. In this case, engine stall can be prevented by using the air upper limit setting. With the dec. air upper limit setting, an upper limit is given to the airflow output voltafe at the engine RPM set at" (this is a user defined level) "Ne01 and Ne02 below the "Thr" throttle opening"

It goes into how you can modify it to help you otu but after they upped my idle i didnt find a difference. Anyways, I'm definitely going to get my stuff cleaned, since I recently bought it I don't know whats going on down there. Anyways, this might be pointless for the guy whose driving and it stalls for him... I had a volvo that did the same thing and I'm pretty sure it was because of a bad oxygen sensor.

The shop had to drive my car until it stalled out for them personally and then they were able to fix it.

Goodluck man.

twitchy
05-31-2005, 01:26 AM
Sorry to resurrect this thread but someone mentioned that you can "clean" the coolant temp sensor??

is this so / how so>?