PDA

View Full Version : Removing Crankshaft pully

mastaflash05
11-01-2003, 06:51 AM
im disecting my motor, and im stuck on how to get the crank pully off. my dad told me that it is probobly on a spline and that i would need to get a puller to get it off. is this true, or should i just pry the shit out of it? just checking before i break anything.

zweebach
11-01-2003, 08:24 AM
A pulley/gear puller would be ideal.
They're only like $30 dollars for a Craftsman one.
Don't get the cheap ones, because they just bend.

Get a puller - you'll tank yourself, and you won't damage anything.

FYI, on the KA pulley, you're supposed to attached the puller to the rear lip - not the front two or something.
The service manual shows it.
Put the puller jaws on the front lip of the groove for the rear most belt.

mastaflash05
11-01-2003, 09:58 AM
ok cool, thanks alot. i might just rent one from auto zone, or somewhere that will let you borrow tools.

Thieu
11-01-2003, 12:09 PM
do yourself a favor and don't do like I did. Somehow I misaligned the bolt and pulley and ended up havin to slide the pulley over the bolt (after removing the washer putting the bolt back in to remove the pulley with a puller) I tried a 3-arm puller on the second lip like the manual said and ended up snapping the pulley lip in multiple places. I had to get a new pulley at the junk yard. Take off the 10mm bolts inside the pulley and take off the harmonic balancer. Rent a harmonic balancer puller from Autozone and buy 3 M6 bolts to go alont with it. it will make the removal much easier. That's how I did it, but I think I did it wrong. You'd think the bolt head would be smaller than the hole in the pulley, but it wasn't.

I'm pretty sure you can just take off the bolt and washer and just wiggle it off. It will be hard but it can be done.

mastaflash05
11-01-2003, 09:25 PM
i got it off today. only took about 10 minutes once i had the right tool. i just borrowed it from auto zone. i did take off the removable pully first. it just goes to prove the saying about having the right tool for the right job.