PDA

View Full Version : oil light on but oil pressure is good

CristianJ
06-24-2011, 04:24 PM
So recently my oil light came on. Looked under my car and sure enough there was a dent right where the oil pickup tube is. So i removed the pan and knocked the dent out and also replaced the oil pressure switch. Started her up oil light was off for about 5 min then came back on but would flicker with every bump i hit. Today i changed the oil and filter and did an oil pressure test.
results:
warm @ idle:30-35psi
warm @ 3000rpm:70psi
From what ive been reading i believe those are acceptable reading but the oil light is still on. Im stumped and dont know what to do so any ideas would be great. And oh yeah its a 91 ka24de thanks

daryl337
06-24-2011, 04:57 PM
If you are getting good oil pressure, then check the wiring for the switch again if you recently replaced it.

CristianJ
06-24-2011, 06:01 PM
another question should i be driving the car even tho i have good oil pressure but the lights on? because i dont want to cause any damage to the engine

Razi
06-24-2011, 07:03 PM
Happened to me once.
The stock oil pressure sensor was clogged.
I guess you could try cleaning it, or replacing it.

codyace
06-24-2011, 07:30 PM
Disconnect it, and just watch the gauge. Stock pressure sensor are junk and come on after the damage is done anyway.

NIZzS13
06-24-2011, 10:06 PM
Disconnect it, and just watch the gauge. Stock pressure sensor are junk and come on after the damage is done anyway.

I second that, in some cases an oil light can flicker due to bottom end bearing wear or damage but your numbers look good, and you say it flashed when hitting bumps so as long as you have no abnormal engine noises i wouldnt go crazy about it