PDA

View Full Version : ground wiring problem for amp

Driving-In-The-Rain
10-29-2003, 12:38 AM
This is a real head hitter. I installed a new 1000w amp. The power is 4g the ground is 8. When i set everything up all the wiring went fine, until i get to the ground. I get the feedback, amp whine, engine noise, what ever you call it, and its loud as hell. I've tried grounding it 3 different places in the trunk, and even taking out the plug at the bottom of the trunk and running the wire to the frame...doesnt work. Any ideas on what i can do to get rid of the noise? =/ thx

skoob240
10-29-2003, 02:31 AM
I have the same problem. I am not using the factory wiring though. Everything is powered through a distribution block. The only way I could get rid of the whine was to not connect my antenna.

kandyflip445
10-29-2003, 09:44 AM
Here is a VERY good website that has tutorials on car stereo and just some general electronics. Look at the RCA part. Here you go. (http://www.eatel.net/~amptech/elecdisc/)

Did you run your power wire on the opposite side of the RCA's? If you have the power wire running by the RCA's then it can cause the whine. I reccomend running the power wire through the drivers side and the RCA's on the passenger side. The ECU is located on the pass. side and it COULD cause problems. Just better to be safe. Also make sure your grounding point is free of paint. You could seal it up with some silicone after it's done, if you want, but just make sure it has good contact.

Driving-In-The-Rain
10-29-2003, 10:38 AM
kick a*s...ill go try that antenna idea in a min, and thx for the website ill get to reading that a little later today

slos14
10-29-2003, 02:32 PM
OK ARE U RUNNING YOUR RCAS AND POWER WIRE ON THE SAME SIDE IF SO THATS WHAT IT IS .... ALSO IF U ARE RUNNING A 4G POWER WIRE YOU MUST RUN A 4G GROUND ...

JUSTIN

andrave
10-29-2003, 03:55 PM
thats a myth, about running them down the same side.

anyway, first you need equal ground and power. So upgrade your ground to 4 gauge if your power wire is 4 gauge.
Electricity flows from negative to positive.

Second, how do you KNOW you are getting a good ground? did you check it with a multi meter?
drill into the chassis and use a wire brush to get down to bare metal.
If you are still getting alternator whine its probably coming through on a ground loop.
run a 10 gauge wire from your amp's ground to your head units ground. If the problem goes away then you probably need to upgrade your head unit's ground. take some 10 or 12 gauge and ground it to the frame. the factory dash grounds tend to suck ass.

kandyflip445
10-29-2003, 09:39 PM
It isn't a myth. I've seen it make a difference. It just depends on the shielding of both cables(RCA and power).

shaunred
05-22-2004, 06:03 PM
It's not your power or ground wires, its your RCA cables. Cheap cables pick up more interference. Get some good cables and it should be alright.