PDA

View Full Version : battery constantly dying?

alexanderig
06-14-2011, 06:26 PM
well ive been having this problem for quite some time i wake up and battery is dead. i got a new battery still happened. i checked with a multi meter if there were any draws and nothing. i checked with the multimeter to see if the alternator was fine, and it was fine. ive checked my grounds and they all seem fine. so now anytime i park i need to disconnect my battery its getting pretty annoying. the only thing left that i could think of is my alarm. i have a clifford g5 and ive been having problems with it since day one. if anyone has any ideas or a good alarm shop i could take it to get checked out

Sleepy_Steve
06-14-2011, 07:40 PM
Find the short.

ladyzx
06-14-2011, 08:13 PM
u have to have a batt drain some where, i have one to but cant find what is it

alexanderig
06-14-2011, 08:15 PM
well ive checked with the multimeter to see if its drawing power when its off and its not. so the only thing im left thinking it is is the alarm

chuckeS13
06-14-2011, 08:30 PM
It problably is your alarm, mi wife baught a honda with a clifford alarm and the tham thing is shitty, it makes all the electrical stuff not work or not work rite

codyace
06-14-2011, 08:32 PM
Super easy to find a draw
Multimeter
1. pop hood
2. Disconnect the negative terminal from your battery
3. Close all doors for 15-30 minutes
4. With multimeter, hook up the red side to the amped side (10/15/20) of it (as in, move it from the regular red pole to the amped side)
5. Read what the meter says...anything over 25/30 millamps is a draw
6. Start pulling fuses 1 at a time until you see the milliamp amount drop significantly. Once you find the big 'drop' you can narrow down the draw to that circuit. From there start testing things in that spectrum.

It's pretty easy, and really takes only a few minutes to sort out. The reason you leave the doors closed and stuff for 15-30 is to let everything drain out persay...the ECU shuts off and all that shit as well (what all is going on is beyond me, but stuff is happening ahha)

Now if you don't have a mulitmeter you can do the same test with a test lamp

Test Lamp:
1. pop hood
2. Disconnect the negative terminal from your battery
3. Close all doors for 15-30 minutes
4. Take test lamp, hook the clamp to the negative terminal, and then touch the other end (probe end) to a ground
5. If you have a big draw, the test lamp will light up bright. If you have a small draw it will be dim
6. Start pulling fuses 1 at a time until you see the test lamp dim significantly. Once this happens, you can now troubleshoot that 'circuit' to find the draw.

ladyzx
06-14-2011, 09:32 PM
^^^^ i try this with test light light was bright pull all the fuses one by one ans it doesent change doesnt go deam at all any other ideas. thanks

codyace
06-14-2011, 10:10 PM
did you try the fuses in the engine bay too? there is no way for that to be light 'bright' after doing it all

Ichiban4
06-15-2011, 06:51 AM
Have you noticed your brake lights on? There is a tab where to pedal hits a switch above the pedal and it breaks a lot of times, just causing your brake lights to stay on, if you are parking during the day you may not notice. Just a suggestion

codyace
06-15-2011, 08:42 AM
Have you noticed your brake lights on? There is a tab where to pedal hits a switch above the pedal and it breaks a lot of times, just causing your brake lights to stay on, if you are parking during the day you may not notice. Just a suggestion

While something to check, pulling the fuse for that circuit would show it as well.

upsdude
06-15-2011, 08:51 AM
get your alternator tested

alexanderig
06-19-2011, 06:14 AM
Thanks for the help guys I checked again and I had a draw of two amps first fuse I pulled was for the alternator and it went away. So I pulled out te alternator checked it and got a new one. And the car is fine now