PDA

View Full Version : WTF?!? car doesn't move after clutch change!!!

einherjar
10-25-2003, 07:59 PM
i just finished my clutch change and now the car doesn't even move!!!

i put it in nuetral to creep down the driveway and it feels like the cars in gear, but i have the shifter in neutral!!!

symptoms:

the clutch petal feels really weak when i press on it, the shifters installed and it doesn't feel like it is going into gear when i put it there, and the big one, THE CAR DOESNT MOVE!!!

i know i'm going to have to take the fucking transmission off again, but hopefully someone might know where to look.

thanks

:mad:

ucfz31s13
10-25-2003, 08:16 PM
Possible causes:

1) Air in lines, bleed them
2) Pedal not adjusted properly (clutch not full engaging)
3) Bad master/slave cylinder
4) Clip for throwout bearing not installed correctly
5) Broken shift forks in tranny

lataz

z

einherjar
10-25-2003, 08:31 PM
its not the first 3 because before i did the swap they were working fine, and i adjusted the petal, besides i have this problem even when the car is in neutral when none of those apply.

i'm pretty sure i installed the clip for the TOB right (the two wire clips from the carrier go under the fork)

and why would this be a problem when the car is in neutral?

96twofourty
10-25-2003, 08:44 PM
Id check and make sure the slave cylinder is moving when the clutch is depressed. See id theres excessive movement in the fork

einherjar
10-25-2003, 08:51 PM
the slave cylinder moves when i press the clutch, IT IS NOT A HYDRAULIC PROBLEM (probably ...lol)

what kind of play is excess play.

again, the car doesn't move in neutral if the trans is in neutral this should have nothing to do with the clutch correct?

possibly the drive shaft not align properly.

einherjar
10-26-2003, 06:38 AM
i never got the bellhousing to become perfectly flush with the engine, it really close but not all the way, could this be the problem of it not going into gear?

einherjar
10-26-2003, 01:30 PM
bump

bell housing is flush with engine, but didn't do anything

theicecreamdan
10-26-2003, 04:25 PM
if the pedal feels really weak then Im guessing its either your slave, or master cylinder. I just replaced my clutch a few weeks ago and my slave and master cylinder were fine before then, but after the change I bled the crap outta the lines and it still didnt work, so I got a master cylinder rebuild kit and a new slave cylinder, after me and my friend did all that everything was fine with that,

you can tell if its those pretty easy if you get under the car and watch the clutch fork when somebody presses the clutch, if its moving then its probably something else, but I had the same troubles when I did my swap.

ucfz31s13
10-26-2003, 04:28 PM
Where'd you get the tranny from? Did it come w/ your clip?

are you sure its good?

That fact that its in neutral, yet you say it feels like it's in gear is very odd.

Can you shift the gear w/ the clutch depressed? How do they feel?

lataz

z

einherjar
10-26-2003, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by 87camarodan
if the pedal feels really weak then Im guessing its either your slave, or master cylinder. I just replaced my clutch a few weeks ago and my slave and master cylinder were fine before then, but after the change I bled the crap outta the lines and it still didnt work, so I got a master cylinder rebuild kit and a new slave cylinder, after me and my friend did all that everything was fine with that,

you can tell if its those pretty easy if you get under the car and watch the clutch fork when somebody presses the clutch, if its moving then its probably something else, but I had the same troubles when I did my swap.

like i've said quite a few times, it is not a hydrolic problem. I have gone under the car and watched it get pushed in and out.

i have removed the transmission again, and noticed 2 things,

1. the clutch fork was mis-aligned abit, which side of the clips from the TOB carrier go behind it? the end or the bend?

2. my TOB carrier seems to get snagged as it slides down the inputshaft??? how could i fix something like this? sand the input shaft? or is it the carrier? (something i need to figure out now that the trans is off).

i have not yer checked if the transmission is seized, but i assume not because it was working fine before the clutch change.

einherjar
10-27-2003, 10:33 PM
###UPDATE###

I took off the clutch and re aligned it, put everything back together, re-beld the slavecylinder, and the same thing happened!!!

when i looked at the clutch, it looked like the input shaft had flattened the teeth, like it didn't slide in just put pressure on the side.

the weird thing is that if i loosed 5 of the bottom bellhousing bolts i can put the car in neutral and roll it, but once the car is on i cannot.

all i can think of doing right now is putting the car in first before i start her, and drive her around and see if that sinks in the clutch, but i dont want to damage anything in doing so.

HONESTLY ... I"M STUMPED!

set240sx
10-28-2003, 01:28 AM
How hard was it to get the trans to bolt up to the block?

nissan_s14
10-28-2003, 02:58 AM
Does the main pulley move when you attempt to move the car? Shouldnt turn if the car is in neutral

einherjar
10-28-2003, 11:24 AM
first time it was difficult to get the trans up to block, but the 2nd time it was just long but no problems, i only used a small 3/4" ratchet on each bolt, it was prety easy.

no the input shaft doesn't turn when moving, so i can assume that the main pully doesn't.

now can i assume that if i can get the trans to the block flush without any problems that the input shaft is inside the clutch disc?

i think it may be an alignment problem.

Uniac
10-28-2003, 06:57 PM
guys, it's not a hydrolic problem, think about it, go out to your car, don't start it, don't press the clutch. You can go through your gears he can't. It shouldn't have anything to do with the clutch. Somthing has to be binding up inside the tranny. This is all i can think of.

Anybody got any better ideas?

einherjar
10-29-2003, 12:49 PM
bump bump :D

runyun
11-02-2003, 01:58 PM
if the tranny is flush w/the block.. and the bolts all line up - i would assume the input shaft is in the clutch disc.

is this KA, SR?
I did mine yesterday w/friends.. the top of the SR housing is higher than the KA... PITA to get the tranny off and back on.

And, one thing that we ran into was the pivot bolt for the tranny fork was broken in two.

now, you cant just go to a tranny shop or oreilys and pick yourself up a tranny pivot bolt.. so a little trip to home depot fixed everything.
found a perfect 10mm bolt and grinded the bolt head round. worked like a charm :D

is there an update? did you get your car running yet?

einherjar
11-02-2003, 08:15 PM
i cant get the transsion off the input shaft.

:bash:

andrave
11-02-2003, 08:59 PM
pry bar time baby.
someone suggested to me pulling it off with another car but that sounds risky.

einherjar
11-03-2003, 01:36 PM
well i tried 3 guys with prybars, and even i strap winch, pulling about 3000lbs. time to take it to a shop to remove it

this transmission is satan himself!!!!

runyun
11-03-2003, 02:02 PM
so the tranny is seperated from the motor.. but only the input shaft is stuck?

you know w/sr's, you have to turn that tranny clockwise or counterclockwise be you can remove the tranny completely off the motor right?
the bell housing is higher in the sr.. so it gets stuck on the underbody of the car.

It's a pita.. as i mentioned before. Especially getting it back up, aligned, and getting the input shaft to go in properly.

einherjar
11-03-2003, 09:44 PM
i've removed the transmission 2 times now, i know how to do it, this is different, its stuck internally, not externally.

einherjar
11-05-2003, 03:44 PM
any ideas?? :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: