PDA

View Full Version : blowing coilpacks?

roboticnissan
06-05-2011, 12:59 AM
Just blew two coilpacks in a week
I'm.thinking wiring problems but what kind of wiring problems would POP a coilpack like a fuse.

kevmeistah21
06-05-2011, 01:06 AM
I had this problem but i think you have a different problem then mine.. My spring inside the coil pack was compressed so it wasn't or barely touching the spark plug at all, which caused it to pop. Well, atleast i think so.. Cause when i swapped it for a new one and it worked perfectly fine when i made sure the spring was actually touching the plug itself.

Shit also caused my spark plug threads to strip, i had to re-thread the head for that cylinder.. :(

JDMRIDDAZ
06-05-2011, 06:12 AM
loose ground

Bbsalexaz
06-05-2011, 07:02 AM
Mods? I assume sr. :P

The coils ground through the ecu right? I dont think the ecu could just be blowing up coil packs for fun. Its POSSIBLE, just not PROBABLE.

Whats more likely is the PTU, also known as an ignition control module, sending faulty signals to the coil packs thus the coils failing... That is POSSIBLE and PROBABLE.

But that might not be the issue, could be bad wiring, something melted, common ground arching out to the signal wire. etc.

Let us know what your working with so we can better diagnose whats going on...

roboticnissan
06-05-2011, 12:35 PM
Well its on my miata and the miata forums are full of jackasses. There are a few smarties here.

You really think just a loose ground could POP a coilpack? I'm thinking more along the lines of a power wire grounding out.....but even that seems unlikely to me.

JDMRIDDAZ
06-06-2011, 09:55 AM
it could be either or
but the ground can cause this
the sr20det has a ground loop on the coilpack harness on the back of engine
mae sure its grounded properly

camaro379ss
06-06-2011, 12:03 PM
Did it blow 2 coilpacks in different spots or 2 coilpacks in the same location? makes a difference...

s14unimog
06-07-2011, 02:17 PM
I used to do this when I ran the coil pack cover. I've since dumped that in favor for a Phase2 grounding plate and haven't had an issue. It gets pretty hot under that cover.