PDA

View Full Version : no power to starter

Mr. Spool
10-24-2003, 05:12 PM
I finally got my s14 to power up but now I am running into issues getting power to the starter. When I go to turn the car over nothing happens no click, no nothing. is there a relay or fusable link that might be blown? My starter does work. I can get the car to turn over if I bypass it. but thats it. Any info would be apreceated.

deviousKA
10-24-2003, 08:45 PM
Check and clean both of your battery terminals on the battery itself, as well as on the starter. Be sure to get them tight. If that doesnt work, your starter/solenoid may be stickey or damaged

holisticbeatz
10-24-2003, 10:15 PM
This problem sounds very familiar. I experienced something like this a few weeks ago in my S14. After checking the battery, charging system and starter, the problem turned out to be in the ignition. Apparently, the backing switch behind the ignition underneath the steering column crapped out. So every time I turned the key, the signal wasn't being sent. No clicking noise.. no nothing. Anyhow, I went down to Nissan and ordered a new backing switch. Wasn't very expensive, it was about $33.00 if I recall correctly. It took 5 days for it to come from Japan, it's not a regularly stocked item. If you have any doubts, you could always open up the steering column and get in there with a light tester. That's how I figured out the problem.

My $0.02 :D

-kenny

Mr. Spool
10-26-2003, 11:44 PM
I apreciate the imput. could any one explain how I would go about checking if this is bad, Thanks.

old_s13
10-27-2003, 03:08 AM
dont forget the clutch interlock switch, make sure thats working

Mr. Spool
10-27-2003, 11:11 AM
I am not familiar with the clutch interlock switch, could some please explain it to me. thanks

bustav13t
10-28-2003, 04:28 AM
it's prolly that switch to make sure the clutch is engaged, like how you would normally start your car, if it's manual.