PDA

View Full Version : Future aftermarket ECU, which one?

Phoen_x_s14
10-24-2003, 11:28 AM
Ok, after reading the November issue of Nov, which they listed some of the aftermarket ECU's out right now. I'm gonna be swapping in a RB25det some time early next year, and run maybe a 75-100 shot nos direct port and nos on the intercooler. This does not mean I'm not gonna upgrade everything else, cams, manifolds, fuel system, etc. I just want some thoughts on which ECU you think would best suit my future setup.

Apexi Power FC, has a engine/car specific setting that I can load. So the correct fuel, map, boost, etc. settings would match up my engine I'm guessing. It usues the stock harness so no need to splice wires.

Recently AEM, came out with their own plug and play stand alone ECU. Its alot simpler to use what people mostly say. It doesn't have a specific application for the RB25......yet?? But its features some nice things like Self Learning Tune, Start up calibration, nos triggering, fuel via primary injector tuneing. etc.

the HKS Fcon does have some features as the AEM, but not as much.
Hmm then theirs greddy, haven't read theirs stats yet tho.

Anyone have any experince with my setup and standalone ecu's? I know what I'm gonna be paying for the standalone ecu's, I just want to get it right the first time. Oh, and I know its kinda crazy to run on streets, but I'm aiming for 600hp. And thats gonna be with a T66 or a turbo of that size, and engine rebuild, basically the works. I m not planning on getting that much HP right away or with NOS adding into the power already. So 600HP from engine and turbo, then whateva NOS can give me after that. I just want a ecu that will able to handle what its suppose to handle right and relaible.

DuffMan
10-24-2003, 11:55 AM
Microtech has plug and play ecus, though I'm not sure about for the rb25. Similar to PowerFC but you can use either a handheld or a laptop.

My main thing against the FC is that data logging and reviewing data with a handheld display is annoying, and I'd rather use a laptop.

Phoen_x_s14
10-24-2003, 01:20 PM
I reread what they listed on Turbo magazine, you can use a laptop with the Power FC.

DuffMan
10-24-2003, 01:26 PM
I was under the impression that you couldnt unless you were an authorized Apex installer, and had license to the software. I could be wrong about that though.

Phoen_x_s14
10-26-2003, 08:20 AM
anyone else have any thoughts on my setup with aftermarket ECU?

Fireball240SX
10-26-2003, 10:13 AM
Electromotive TEC2/TEC3 does everything including igniton

Phoen_x_s14
10-27-2003, 12:12 AM
anychance you got personal experince with the Electromotive TEC2/TEC3 Fireball?

MazzyMan
10-27-2003, 07:36 AM
Used the MicroTech before on my previous RX7...nice but wished there was a little more parameters to it and at that time the only display unit available was a little crappy.

Using the HKS F-Con unit now and its very nice!

kdv20
10-27-2003, 08:29 AM
You can tune the Power FC with the use of th fc data loggit software.
http://www.fc-datalogit.co.nz

Phoen_x_s14
10-27-2003, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by kdv20
You can tune the Power FC with the use of th fc data loggit software.
http://www.fc-datalogit.co.nz

Dam, nice to know, thanks alot kdv20, I'll try to read the site and learn some more.

kdv20
10-27-2003, 01:27 PM
The software is due to out with in 8 weeks for most of the nissan apps. Look into the D-Jetro version of the power fc it elimanates the mass airfometer.

driftstyre
10-29-2003, 10:45 AM
I know Autronic has plug in ECUs for certain engines at reasonable prices. You have to send your ECU to them and they modify the internals with a fully programmable ECU to run on windows. Motec does this also. We have had two ECUs sent out, one for a Group A Galant VR4 (motec) and one for a GC8 Impreza (autronic) and base maps were provided by both. Base antilag maps are provided by both if you are interested in running ALS and also launch control and full throttle shifts. Autronic is in AU and Motec is in GB.

Phoen_x_s14
10-29-2003, 02:58 PM
er....GB as in Great Britain? and AU as in Australia?

I dunno about sending something overseas to reflash or ass in a rom chip to the ecu of the RB25det when I get the front clip. I kinda trust a complete stand alone ecu rather then adding on roms or reflashing an OEM ecu.

driftstyre
10-29-2003, 03:59 PM
They are both complete standalone systems. They place the stand-alone board in your stock ECU casing and incorporate the exact same pinouts on the ECU plugs so all of your stock sensors will work. I just have no idea if either make this for a RB25. Of the two, Autronic would be a better choice.