PDA

View Full Version : AEM Series 2 Product Review for RB Engines

TPG Tuning
06-02-2011, 03:29 PM
What’s up guys!

I had an opportunity recently to switch my GTR to a new AEM Series 2 EMS. I wanted to post a review of the product and the power gains we saw from ONLY changing the EMS.

I had run the AEM S1 in the car previously, and up until 2 weeks ago I was running on a stock tuned ECU. There are some MAJOR improvements over the old Series 1 AEM EMS. Along with the addition of more injector and coil drivers and USB support, the new AEMtuner software is much improved over the older AEMPro software. The internal datalogger is now 1mb, almost double what it was before.

The biggest improvement in my opinion is the hardware. With the use of the new AEM trigger wheel for the RB cam sensor, the car starts faster, runs smoother, the throttle is crisper and overall drives better than before. Idle control is stable and more responsive. O2 sensor feedback is also much improved and functions better than the S1.
For testing purposes I dynoed the GTR on the stock ECU with stock MAFs, then switched to the AEM S2 the same day and redynoed the car. This was using the same boost, timing, and target AFRs.

Quick mod list:

1993 R32 Skyline GTR
RB26
Manley Turbo Tuff Rods
Wiseco Pistons
ARP Head Studs
ARP Main Studs
Cosworth Head Gasket
Manley Valvetrain w/ Stock Cams
Ported Head
Stock ITBs with Stock Intake Manifold
Borg Warner S366
Bosch 044 Fuel Pump
Stock Injectors
Trust FMIC
Tial 44mm Wastegate and Q BOV
14psi on 93 octane

On the stock ECU the car laid down 442whp/323ftlbs. After swapping ECUs, switching CASs, and tuning the car on the AEM S2 we put it back on the dyno. Same day, same dyno. With ONLY the ECU change the car made 454whp/339ftlbs. That is a gain of 12hp and 16ftlbs at peak hp/tq with the same boost, afrs, and timing. The biggest gain was the area under the curve, in some areas down low it picked up over 25hp and 20ft lbs of torque.

All in all the AEM S2 is an awesome solution for the RB. I’ve tuned several GTRs on Apexi PowerFCs and the lack of knock control, easy-to-use software, and limited adjustments make the AEM a far better option. After now driving the car for a week I am extremely happy with the AEM. The car starts, idles, and drives like stock. It also picked up 3 mpg over the stock ECU over the same driving route! Can’t beat that!

We will be testing a few sets of cams for a manufacturer next month as well as installing our upgraded fuel system and switching to E85, look for some bigger numbers to come!

Nate
TPG Tuning