PDA

View Full Version : S14 SR20DET intake cam VTC alignement

Saico
05-30-2011, 06:25 PM
i'm puttin the head back on my engin S14 sr20det blacktop but when removing it, i turnet the intake cam with the nut at the end of the cam gear (i know its my bad) and the VTC skipped a few nutch.. now... how to realign this thing?

because when skipping a nutch it means.. the cam gear turns, but not the cam (because of the ''clutch'' inside the vtc) but unfortunetly, timing will be wrong if i leave it has is....

haven't found any marks or point to realign the cam and the cam gear... any one ever experienced this before ?

mat.roberts
05-31-2011, 09:17 AM
Can't say I've experienced this before but i have done cams and s14 timing and what i can say is this
First how much did you loosen the cam gear bolt? Cause the cams have dowel pins on the inside to align the cam and gear to factory spec. You would of had to loosen that gear bolt quite a bit to get one turning and not the other. Anyways your vtc should not be skipping. Pics would be good. Anyways align the dowel pin with the hole on the gear then tighten and turn the cams to tdc and use the timing chain marks to set factory timing hope that helps

Saico
05-31-2011, 04:05 PM
Can't say I've experienced this before but i have done cams and s14 timing and what i can say is this
First how much did you loosen the cam gear bolt? Cause the cams have dowel pins on the inside to align the cam and gear to factory spec. You would of had to loosen that gear bolt quite a bit to get one turning and not the other. Anyways your vtc should not be skipping. Pics would be good. Anyways align the dowel pin with the hole on the gear then tighten and turn the cams to tdc and use the timing chain marks to set factory timing hope that helps

problem is that usually, on intake side.. dowel pin a 12 o'clock and alignement mark should point around 10ish o'clock.. now the dowel is at 12 and the alignement mark is also at 12 o'clock, i haven't loosen the cam gear bolt AT ALL at first, the vtc ratched it self, its splitted in the middle and u can turn one end without turning the other.. can't get this done by hand its extremly hard

jr_ss
06-01-2011, 03:28 PM
If your VTC cam gear is split in the middle it's no good anyway...

Saico
06-02-2011, 10:12 AM
on intake side (vtc side) the dowel on the camshaft and the timing mark on the gear should be aligned right ?

mat.roberts
06-02-2011, 02:47 PM
Hmm that doesn't sound right. Ill try and bust overtime tonight to find out for you and get back to you and but you may need another vtc gear which i have.

Saico
06-05-2011, 03:38 PM
actually for some weirdo reasons i guess i just dreamed of the vtc splicing in 2 and rotating... anyways i was just wondering to confirm... The dowel on the camshaft and the timing mark on the camgear sould be aligned or offset? i know that its offset on the exhaust side, was wondering if it was the same for intake side.. Thx

jr_ss
06-05-2011, 04:08 PM
On my VTC gear if the dowel pin is at the 12 o'clock postion, it is inline with one of the cogs on the gear. That cog is 1 or 2 cogs from being lined up with the timing mark. So in my case the timing mark is offset to the right if your looking at the motor head on.

Saico
06-05-2011, 08:26 PM
hahaha sorry for my bad english cuz i'm actually french.. by cogs you mean theet on the camgear right?

jr_ss
06-06-2011, 10:49 AM
Yes sir...