PDA

View Full Version : my car won't go past 5000 rpm...please help

DrifTkInG180sX
10-22-2003, 11:13 PM
What's up everyone? I just had a new clutch put into my 89 sohc and now my car will not go past 5k rpm. I have been searching for days and I can't find a similar past so can you guys, or girls, help me with my problem. Thanks everyone for your time.

Flybert
10-23-2003, 12:01 AM
First off, you shouldn't be doing hard driving on a new clutch. You have to let the flywheel and clutch and pressure plate seat correctly. You are supposed to wait 500-1000 miles before you start going crazy with it. You might have to replace it again soon if you don't restrain yourself. Other than that, I don't know what to say.

240sxspeedracer1
10-23-2003, 08:40 AM
Ive never heard of the clutch being related to rpm being limited.

I've had the same problem but it was related to my cat being clogged so I eliminated my cat and nevre had a problem again.
Also, it could be that ur ECU is limiting the rpms due to being in safe mode, but I think that would be lower like 3k. But yeah, check the cat, cause it could just be a coincidence that u just changed out the clutch. And yeah, u shouldn't be beating ur car, cause it needs to be broken in first.

DuffMan
10-23-2003, 09:13 AM
Does it bog down arround 5000 or is it like a fuel cut, where there is no power, than power, than no power, ect. If it is like a fuel cut, it might be the 5th gear sensor got shorted somehow so the ecu thinks you are always in 5th and is cutting because it thinks you are trying to exceed 112mph.

DrifTkInG180sX
10-23-2003, 06:51 PM
Sorry, I didn't mean that i "just" got the clutch put in but i've driving with it for about 500 miles, then I was going onto the freeway one day and punched it and it would not pass 5k rpm. It would just bog as if i was redlining. thanks for the replies.

brage
10-23-2003, 10:18 PM
check and make sure you don't have excessive back pressure... IE clogged CAT..

-jeff