PDA

View Full Version : Who goes the fastest for the cheapest?

nickwrx
10-20-2003, 07:29 PM
Hey guys. My first post here! Ive been observing for the past few months and I have been wondering this question: who with a SR or RB has gone the fastest for the cheapest?
I will except Hp #s instead of Et's, but i want to know what 1/4 miles your all running and your setup and prices.

Everybody get my drift?!

So let see it.

nick

Driftin_240sx
10-20-2003, 07:41 PM
well i have put about 1500$ in engine work and about another 2000 into elctronics and turbo shite and i hope to push abour 450 outa my KaT..... although i do work at a shop and build my own engines so that helps out.

david

OptionZero
10-21-2003, 12:55 PM
Labor usually runs you as much as parts. The more work you can do yourself (installs, tuning), the cheaper it will be to go fast.

Let's say you get your SR for $2g's (hypothetical). If you can do all the work yourself, the only additional cost would be miscallaneous spare parts, additional tools you don't have lying around, and some cigs to keep you happy while you rest.

If you are mechanically challenged, you'd drop another coupla G's on a shop to put it in for you, because it is not a quick job.

Oh yeah, the more "hookups" you got, obviously....and how hard you look/lucky you get in the used parts area...

thats just from my experience, take it as you will

steve shadows
10-21-2003, 02:39 PM
total expenditure on my daily driver project car drag racing and top speed is about 7,000 dollars including the car, and the old stuff i sold to get the new setup.

-steve

old_s13
10-22-2003, 10:09 AM
The person who's modifications are ghetto and poorly installed, because he goes flying off of the side of the mountain.

hehe

Seriously though, I would imagine the person who DOESNT spend ALL of his money on a motor swap, and then the remaining 400 on a blitz boost and egt gauge. GAG

daisosasen01
10-23-2003, 02:55 PM
He wanted numbers not shit chat. hehe:)

My twin bro so far spent $8k on his car.
That includes car( hatch),
rebuilt sr20det engine ( complete with blue printing, and cams, and valve springs)
welded chassis from head to toe
Roll cage
used suspension
z32 brake upgrade with 5 lug all around ( junyards in Mexico(TJ) are not so bad man hehehe, they drive more of the good stuff old school and new then you might think)
cheapo seats from ebay
painted shell in and out - TJ mexican paint shop
( I got all the parts and did everything for the exception of the roll cage and paint job on the car. Everything else I did includeing motor swap and welding head to toe of the shell)

My older bros car ( s14) spent 10K on his car
Everything done as above except different motor.
The car itself was had for the same price as the hatch $1100 ( car came with no motor or tranny - it was an automatic so I had it taken out by seller to cheapen price and also cause I was going to do it and it saved me the labor)
The RB has not been rebuilt
and still lacks downpipe, and turbo manifold

If you wish for a different format then jsut e-mail me.
thanks
Daisosasen
P.S After pretty much haveing a failed attempt at building my first car, building my bros cars was alot faster and considerably cheaper. I don't want to say how much I spent on my car but wow, it's been an experience.

Var
10-23-2003, 03:00 PM
No one has yet answered the question with an actual dyno number or an actual 1/4 mile et. So let me be the first. My engine is a stock KA24E with 140 horsepower and it's really slow. Anyone else?

steve shadows
10-23-2003, 03:09 PM
my car has run 12.3 with a horrible launch and a cracked exaust manifold with boost falling off(now fixed thank you) in the condition i drive it every day.

-steve

SAVAGE1
10-24-2003, 01:40 AM
Since nobody really answered your question here goes my setup:

93 FB- $1300
Blacktop SR Clip- $2500
3" DP/ Dual N1 Catback- $620
LSD/180sx front brakes/HKS BOV- $came with clip
Everything else stock, all work done by my bro and myself.

First time ever at the track, here's my best run:

R/T .742
60ft 2.093
1/8 9.26
1/4 14.557
MPH 92.47

Was hoping to break into the 13's but the car seemed to be lagging in 3rd and 4th gear. The launches and 60ft's were good but the car stopped pulling in the high end. Just wanted to get a baseline, time for some mods.

orion::S14
10-24-2003, 08:42 AM
13.6 @ 104mph

KA-T: T3/T04E, 8psi, GReddy VSPL, Hacked MAF, 370cc injectors, 2.5" crush-bent exhaust, dumped TiAL 35mm.

Total cost: $2500, all new parts. Already had all the supporting stuff...eg. clutch.

Car ('96 SE) has been my daily driver since 1997, but cost me ~16,000 back then...dunno how you want to factor that in...???

Later - Brian

Just8aV8
10-24-2003, 11:12 AM
13.2 @ 110
264 rwhp @ 8psi
'97 sr20det, s15 turbo, blitz lm fmic, apexi avc-r, s-afc... thats about all the power stuff.
*edit* oh yeah z32 maf, and soon buddyclub spec II exhaust.
3600+650+1200?+450+350+250 = 6500, don't remember how much my LM was.

need injectors, power fc, lsd. stupid one wheel burnouts :doh:

btw anyone wanna guess what kinda power i could hit with hks acuator, 264 step 2 cams, valvtrain and a 1.2mm headgasket, and more boost?

AceInHole
10-24-2003, 11:34 AM
14.1@101mph. 2.6 60' running 7.5 - 8psi
Around $2000 into the engine (KAt).
Built for autocrossing, though.... probably have more power than before as well with the new IC endtanks.

Red
10-24-2003, 11:49 AM
Are you looking for a 240sx? or just a street car that can push the 1/4 mile and car corner like a bat out of hell?

www.factoryfive.com

for 20k you can push the quarter in mid 10's (FFR roadster)

I'm guna purchase the GTM-200 Mulsanne when I get my big raise... :)

orion::S14
10-24-2003, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by Just8aV8
13.2 @ 110
264 rwhp @ 8psi
'97 sr20det, s15 turbo, blitz lm fmic, apexi avc-r, s-afc...

Not calling BS or anything, but that's low boost for decent power, and a high trap for only mid-200 power.

I could see if you were using a T04E compressor making that...but an S15 turbo isn't that big.

And IMO, a 110 trap would take at least 300rwhp, unless your car weighs ~2400lbs...

What are the rest of the specs (car year/model)???

Is that boost accurate???

- Brian

Red
10-24-2003, 12:18 PM
Are you looking for a 240sx? or just a street car that can push the 1/4 mile and car corner like a bat out of hell?

www.factoryfive.com

for 20k you can push the quarter in mid 10's (FFR roadster)

I'm guna purchase the GTM-200 Mulsanne when I get my big raise... :)

nickwrx
10-24-2003, 01:19 PM
Hey guys. Thanks for the replies. Well some of you have answered my questions. Basically, Im looking for a daily street driven car. And what kind of setups are you running, and with 1/4 mile times if poss.

So, if you have a redtop, intrclr., bst gauge, etc. etc...
i ran xx.xxx 60'x.xx and at 12psi. etc. etc...

i also wanted to know what engine would show the best gains for the cheapest. Now i dont mean cheapest in that sense. yes i will do it all right, no cuttin corners. but lets say a Rb20 or 25 will yeild quicker times, lower boost, and the least money over an Sr. so lets have em, keep em comin.

nick

Just8aV8
10-24-2003, 02:18 PM
Not calling BS or anything, but that's low boost for decent power, and a high trap for only mid-200 power.
I could see if you were using a T04E compressor making that...but an S15 turbo isn't that big.
And IMO, a 110 trap would take at least 300rwhp, unless your car weighs ~2400lbs...
What are the rest of the specs (car year/model)???
Is that boost accurate???

well it might have been 9psi, but not that big of a differnce. the dyno numbers are off of a mustang dyno, not a dyno jet, so that might be what's confusing as the mustang dyno's yeild much lower hp numbers usually. trap speed was wrong, i was just guessing, did find the actual time slip though reads as follows

60' 2.4 sec
1/4 13.27 sec
trap 107 mph

the car is a 95 s14 base. that s15 turbo by the way flows a lot more then the stock t28 from a s14. with the stock 370's i could run 12psi on my s14, now with the s15 i can only run 9 psi before i max out my injectors. oh and the guys who tuned the car claim that if i ever get traction i should be high 12's. :confused: anyway, hopefully ill have my injectors, p-fc, and lsd. get it retuned and maybe hit a low low 12, maybe high 11.

nismo2491
02-05-2004, 07:56 PM
fully built 91 240sx fastback, strictly drag car basically, mickey thompson slicks, custom aluminum 1 piece driveshaft, KAAZ 2way LSD, TE37 Wheels, Apex'i n1 damper pro suspension, basically a full apex'i setup, apex'i turbo and intercooler, all apex'i electronics, custom venolia pistons, pauter rods, samakow racing engines did the long block assembly, import autoperformance cams, lots and lots of mods, engine tuning by extreme motorsports (as in fast ass DSM's), chasis tuning by Kenny Keir (local chasis shop)
11.43 @123 MPH w/ a 1.68 60' time. probably about 10k invested in the car not including the car itself. this was a ka24de motor. went through 3 motors due to major detonation in cylinder #1, final motor just seemed to not have the problem. used 100% new crank and block, everything else except for the oil pan and pump were aftermarket.

and no I'm not a newbie. I've just for some reason forgetton the password and email address I had my other account on, I haven't posted on zilvia for quite some time.
KEvin

steve shadows
02-06-2004, 03:26 PM
well just to update total expenditure is 10k, daily driven, just lost a cheapo long block. best time up till now was 11.88@119 :rawk: with the following. Best times on pump gas ( 91 octane) and slightly lower boost was consistant 12.2-12.4s...the price includes blowing 2 long blocks completely thanks to pushing the crap out of them and them being in general cheap crappy motors...could put the whole setup together for under 8 including the car if i had to start from scratch and not learn anything the hardway.(all passes uncorrected made at LACR palmdale CA)

completely stock sr20det redtop long block and head stock head gasket, cams etc...
only internal modification is tomei rocker arm stoppers
-(custom designed and fabbed) to4e/t3 custom turbo all garrett(capable of 550+ whp available tru rpsport)
-555cc nismo injectors
-tuned ecu, super afc II
-z32 maf
-engine trq dampner
-steve tuning by rpsport...hehehe
-j30 vlsd, with bf goodrich comp ta drag radials
(the way i drive it everyday)
-half 91 octane half 110 octane mix gas
-act pucked clutch and pressure plate with stoc flywheel
-nismo fpr
-custom rpsport intercooler and piping with hks bov, custom 3 inch dp and exaust and cutom turbo manifold top mount with tial 38mm wastegate.

this is my daily driver its down about 1 month out of the last year for changes in parts, clutch, suspension and other. Looking for 10s with power fc and cams+ metal headgasket and new rail(much bigger injectors, second fuel pump and larger steel braided fuel lines), then 9s with custom 2.2 short block. :coolugh:

then swap in some stiffer suspension and rims and tires and do wangan all day long :fawkd: