PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know the name?

Phoen_x_s14
10-20-2003, 03:24 PM
Someone posted a a whole strut setup, that had number markings on the coilover sleeve. I think it was purple and black, but it wasn't HKS. Tried searching for it, but didn't pop up using "coil overs" "coil over" etc. Just wanted to find out the maker and name of the product and try to see if I could get a price quote from one of the import product shippers in the U.S.

s14falcon
10-20-2003, 04:07 PM
http://www.gpsports.co.jp/GR6-01.jpg
http://www.gpsports.co.jp/GR6-02.jpg http://www.gpsports.co.jp/GR6-03.jpg

Maybe these are the ones you are thinking of. They are gp sports gr-6
coilovers. I think they are pretty new.

TokyoDrifterXo7
10-20-2003, 04:10 PM
ya i posted it. brand new in Japan. Im gonna have mine in a month thanks to a friend. It's my first mod on my 240sx! Im so happy :D

i put a link, just put GR6 in search ;)

Dousan_PG
10-20-2003, 04:11 PM
they have been out for a few months now i believe.
anyways the specs are ok but i can think of at least 5 other easier to get higher quality and possible easier to get US support over those.

just comes down to quality, support and what your use for them is.

Matt_240
10-20-2003, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by TokyoDrifterXo7
ya i posted it. brand new in Japan. Im gonna have mine in a month thanks to a friend. It's my first mod on my 240sx! Im so happy :D

i put a link, just put GR6 in search ;)

be sure to post pictures and tell us how they are!

TokyoDrifterXo7
10-20-2003, 04:15 PM
man Dousan knows EVERYTHING. You work at an import shop or something man? What's better suspension? I'm just trying to go all out with GP Sports stuff so i can get them to sponsor me. :D

Dousan_PG
10-20-2003, 04:17 PM
man Dousan knows EVERYTHING. You work at an import shop or something man? What's better suspension? I'm just trying to go all out with GP Sports stuff so i can get them to sponsor me. :D

first
stop dreaming
gp sports wont sponsor a us person as yourself for a few reason:

1) what can you do for them (besides post bad info on engien swaps)
2) why should they sponsor you? how will you help them?
3) there is NO MORE GP sports NA (north america)
4) buying all parts from one company wont get you sponsored (that's funny comment though)

dreamers need not apply. thank you and come again. bye bye.

Phoen_x_s14
10-20-2003, 04:23 PM
Yeah thats the one, thanks alot.

TokyoDrifterXo7- How much did you pay for them?

Well I do like high quality cuz you do pay for what you get. I just like how the hieght is "measured" marked. I kinda just want to use those for daily driving/weekend racing.

I'm planning on getting another set of complete struts for auto x and/or drifting. Maybe some Teins that can use the EDFC. Dunno yet tho, still reseaching. I was first thinking of going all Apexi, not to be sponsered just to rep their name cuz they have high quality products in my opinion. But kinda change my mind on that. Anyone know if you can use the Tein EDFC with other types of strut? Like the EDFC on Apexi N1 Dampers?

TokyoDrifterXo7
10-20-2003, 04:23 PM
dude why are you such an ass to me? Im only 17, im learning man. Quit picking on me. You act like your the fucking mod god and shit man. Dont kill my dreams! If i dont get sponsored by them i could land a different sponsor and il have one badass ride. after several years of course. Il soon be out on the tracks when im 18. Watch out! I got mad skillZ. I raced go carts when i was younger. :D

oh yeah, il tell you guys how the suspension is. :D

Dousan_PG
10-20-2003, 04:27 PM
im not picking on you
your leaving yourself wide open for punches

think of it this way:
everytime you make a comment (this on, the RB thread), you are basically turning around, dropping your pants and running backwards thru a cornfield.

(if you know what movie that's from give yourself a pat on the back).

if your 17 you can at least learn more about sponsorships and so forth. its been brought up a few timse. there more to getting sponsored then buying 1 companies products. also GP Sports is ok but there are many many other great companies out there.

Heartwork
10-20-2003, 04:31 PM
Tokyodrifter: hahahha, if you want to get sponsored by them, buying there parts and waiting for them will not get you sponsored...you are basically doing them a favor by buying stuff...why would they supply you if you already have the stuff?
also, not likely they will sponsor anyone here in teh States as stated above
getting sponsored by a huge company as big as GP Sports is virtually impossible for the average consumer...youd have to have some crazy background in racing/drifting/marketing, how to market you and your car for GP Sports, what lenghts you will go to to promote, etc.....
sponsorship is just not getting hooked up on parts and calling it a day....
the idea of the height marker is neat, but what would happen if a small rock or just dirty build up gets in marker groove?

RBS14
10-20-2003, 04:33 PM
You don't need to "learn" how to get sponsored. Just think about how the Owner of a particular business would think when you ask him/her certain questions. Keep one thing in mind, people are in business for one thing..........to make $$$$. If it doesn't have a prospect to make them money, they aren't going to do it.

s14falcon
10-20-2003, 04:34 PM
Dousan, I'm starting to build up my supension, and you know alot about that, so I'm deciding which coilovers to get, but i have almost no money at all. I would prefer the jic flt-a2's or some kei offices if I had more to spend, but I would rather get the tein he's and have more money left over to put into a lsd. Do you know of any other coilevers that are height adjustable for about the same price as the he's that would be better performing, or are the he's gonna be the best bang for the buck?

TokyoDrifterXo7
10-20-2003, 04:35 PM
i havent actually bought them yet. My friend got the qoute for me and all. I cant remember how much it was. But it takes 2 weeks for shipping and i should have them within a month.

no i dont know what movie thats from. No more running through corn fields for me. *pulls up pants* :o
ya i know how to get sponsors. Im trying several ways right now. Since i cant go out to the tracks and race, im building up my car. My friend has connections with GP Sports and he said he can probably land me a sponsor with them.

Zemus
10-20-2003, 04:38 PM
Im sure the best drifter in the US would have a hard time getting a sponsership with any japan company, your better off getting sponserd by a local shop. Plus, im sure you dont have mad skillz anyone can powerslide a 90 deg. corner, but once you hit a real track ,you will fnid out what REAL drifting is, ask me i know, you need seat time, plain and simple.

PS (after seeing latest post)

.. Bullshit, stupid forum noob, im sure GP sport will sponser you sight unseen.. and im sure their Hire somone who has only a year driving experiance (i dont give a shit what anyone says) Im 19 and I have plenty of driving experiance, and I dont care if my mother was owner of GP sports, i wouldent get sponserd by them. Unless GP sports is a group of iddiots (which i know their not) they wont hire a noob to represent their company.

Dousan_PG
10-20-2003, 04:40 PM
tokyo'drifter'
if its yoru friend you 'quoted' about the rb swap..good luck
i am sure you just got the info wrong though in your brain. if he's doing rb swaps, he pretty knowledgeable im srue
sponsorship? i sincerely doubt it. maybe a graet dealer cost, but not for free.

s14falcon: go kei office XR. same spring rates, but they have an inverted front shock and the quality is top notch. valvign spec is awesome im told (people in the USA who have it) rides soo smooth on street and when bumpt he damper up...handles amazing. i know a efw people w/ it and they love it. also its a VERY popular coilover brand. the most used by d1gp japan drivers. also popular w/ amatuers. autolink motorsports will be the USA official distributor so you will have USA support and help

you wont get that w/ GP Sports

jicflta2 is great too, but i enjoyed examing and felt the XR was nicer. but i also prefer the higher spring rate for what i would use them for.

Dousan_PG
10-20-2003, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by Oni
Im sure the best drifter in the US would have a hard time getting a sponsership with any japan company, your better off getting sponserd by a local shop. Plus, im sure you dont have mad skillz anyone can powerslide a 90 deg. corner, but once you hit a real track ,you will fnid out what REAL drifting is, ask me i know, you need seat time, plain and simple.

not true. i know 3 USA drivers (drifters) sponsored by japanese companies:

JIC
RS*R
Signal

BUT they all have US offices. GP Sports, does not.

720_datsun
10-20-2003, 04:41 PM
dude why are you such an ass to me? Im only 17, im learning man. Quit picking on me. You act like your the fucking mod god and shit man. Dont kill my dreams! If i dont get sponsored by them i could land a different sponsor and il have one badass ride. after several years of course. Il soon be out on the tracks when im 18. Watch out! I got mad skillZ. I raced go carts when i was younger. :D

oh yeah, il tell you guys how the suspension is. :D he is a mod god incase you didnt know. and stop whinning he's just telling you what will happen.

RBS14
10-20-2003, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by s14falcon
Dousan, I'm starting to build up my supension, and you know alot about that, so I'm deciding which coilovers to get, but i have almost no money at all. I would prefer the jic flt-a2's or some kei offices if I had more to spend, but I would rather get the tein he's and have more money left over to put into a lsd. Do you know of any other coilevers that are height adjustable for about the same price as the he's that would be better performing, or are the he's gonna be the best bang for the buck?

I'm not Dousan :cry: but yes, for what HE's cost, you'll be hard pressed to find a better all around coilover for the same price.

I was going to save up for K-Office XR's but i realistically asked myself if i would ever be able to out-drive Tein HE's?. My answer was no.

Komatsu is a great example......before signal started using Tanabe suspension, they had Tein HA's on his car. HA's!!!!! Look at how incredibly he drove on those! Seeing how as HE's are way better performing coilovers than those, I can't ever see myself actually needing a better performing coilover. C'mon.... how many of us are going to be better than Komatsu? That's my logic.

tsunami0ne
10-20-2003, 04:45 PM
I am officially jealous. All these people getting coilovers.... using $600 worth of their potential.... not knowing what the point of adjusting dampening and such will do....yep.:)

Dousan_PG
10-20-2003, 04:47 PM
yeah HEs are VERY worth the money
i am ok with mine
maybe not PERFECT to what i watn but they do the job. that's all that matters
i got more important things to upgrade then to go backwards and redo something

so always do it right the FIRST TIME
i wanted XR since i got my s13 2 years ago. but i got HEs because i knew no importers. d'oh. live and learn.

Zemus
10-20-2003, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by dousan36
not true. i know 3 USA drivers (drifters) sponsored by japanese companies:

JIC
RS*R
Signal

BUT they all have US offices. GP Sports, does not.

Sorry i ment Jap. Only companys that are only in Jap and not in US. Sorry should have clearified better :-D

Dousan_PG
10-20-2003, 04:52 PM
yes very true
:)
im sure ill think of 1 later but definately nothing large or really well known.

TokyoDrifterXo7
10-20-2003, 04:53 PM
well ima shut up about what i wanna do cus im up in the clouds. haha
about the other suspension... got any links and stuff i can check out for the suspension? I wanna get all the aftermarket stuff possible. What kinda setups do u recommend dousan? something good for street and track

*owned by dousan*

s14falcon
10-20-2003, 04:55 PM
was going to save up for K-Office XR's but i realistically asked myself if i would ever be able to out-drive Tein HE's?. My answer was no.

Yeah, thats what I was thinkin. I'm a drift newbie, so I'm sure i'll be ok with he's. If in the future I progress enough that I need something better, then I guess i'll upgrade, but hopefully then I'll be out of school and making more money so that I can actually afford something better.

Dousan_PG
10-20-2003, 04:57 PM
your gonna be my gimp in a while if i school you this much.

anyways. depends on what you do
driver preference. my setup is getting pretty nuts so i dont suggest it haha

shock springs to learn
upgrade to coilovers
upgrade to nicer ones

some basic suspension arms (tc rods and such)

little by little

most important is track time

its all your preference. everyone is differnet. some people hate my car. others enjoy it on the track. its up to driver.

Phoen_x_s14
10-20-2003, 05:11 PM
dam didn't expect my post to lead to 2 pages. lol. Dousan's right its all about preference. Seeing on how auto X and drifting kinda needs different suspension setups, thats why I'll be having 2 different complete struts/damper systems. One will be tuned for everyday driving and probably auto x, the other for drifting.
I don't mind changing struts on my car, its alot easier changing the whole strut then changing coil overs or springs each time.

Coil overs are coil overs, they slide on to what ever strut or shock you have, I learned from my friends with honda's going the cheap way with suspension will lead to headaches and wastes of money. DO NOT EVER CUT YOUR STOCK Springs. the factory shock was not built to have less spring and will soon blow. Happens to honda's all the time who go this route. And I hate riding with them in their cars when it does happen, except to tell "I told you so"

Buying quality coil overs and quality struts/shocks is an average suspension setup in my opinon, it just does't let you adjust like a whole complete strut like Teins, HKS, Apexi, etc.

I think I still have a hookup with Nopi, since the headquarters is only a 20 min drive. Haven't been there for a month or two. Wished they carried Teins, but all they got right now is HKS, Apexi, Tanabe, and some cheap crap too.

Flybert
10-20-2003, 05:11 PM
For anyone in this thread considering buying nice coilovers, Apexi N1 Pro and amazing. They have an aluminum shock body. In addtion, they are smooth on the street but stiff at the same time. Also, I can get mine revamped by Apexi USA and change my spring rates if I want to. Fortunately Kei Office will be the same in a short time so if I were any of you, I'd go with these two brands. As for all the links and bars, SPLparts.com is a good place to start. Unfortunately, I spent so much on the coilovers that I can't afford the LSD but all in due time. As long as I'm not wasting my money on stuff I'm going to have to rebuy, it's all good. The key is to make the right purchase the first time so you don't waste your money. Just save up and when the right time comes, you will have all the good shit on your car.

Zemus
10-20-2003, 05:14 PM
Do what he said, he knows his stuff, just dont get coilvoers right away, bad idea, you need to learn with stock suspention first, IMO

my 2 cents

Zemus
10-20-2003, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by Flybert
For anyone in this thread considering buying nice coilovers, Apexi N1 Pro and amazing. They have an aluminum shock body. In addtion, they are smooth on the street but stiff at the same time. Also, I can get mine revamped by Apexi USA and change my spring rates if I want to. Fortunately Kei Office will be the same in a short time so if I were any of you, I'd go with these two brands. As for all the links and bars, SPLparts.com is a good place to start. Unfortunately, I spent so much on the coilovers that I can't afford the LSD but all in due time. As long as I'm not wasting my money on stuff I'm going to have to rebuy, it's all good. The key is to make the right purchase the first time so you don't waste your money. Just save up and when the right time comes, you will have all the good shit on your car.

im hopfully getting a set of Apex coilovers, ive been reading on them and they sound wonderful, cant wait!!

RBS14
10-20-2003, 05:47 PM
DEFINATELY learn on stock or close to it!!!!

Im soooo glad i have been learning on a pretty much stock car. Don't make parts your excuse to be a bad driver! Yea, coilovers will cure lots of understeer problems but you learn 10 million times more about your car trying to cure that problem yourself. Most driving techniques you can take with you from one car to the next. However, if you only know how to drive a car with coilovers and a LSD, what are you going to do when you get into a car without said parts?

Just my opinion.

Heartwork
10-20-2003, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by RBS14
Most driving techniques you can take with you from one car to the next. However, if you only know how to drive a car with coilovers and a LSD, what are you going to do when you get into a car without said parts?

Just my opinion.

very true...
just like learning to play the guitar...
start with acoustic, then go to electric...kinda sucks and boring at first, but very valuable and rewarding later

Flybert
10-21-2003, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by RBS14
DEFINATELY learn on stock or close to it!!!!

Im soooo glad i have been learning on a pretty much stock car. Don't make parts your excuse to be a bad driver! Yea, coilovers will cure lots of understeer problems but you learn 10 million times more about your car trying to cure that problem yourself. Most driving techniques you can take with you from one car to the next. However, if you only know how to drive a car with coilovers and a LSD, what are you going to do when you get into a car without said parts?

Just my opinion.

I don't know about that last part man. First off, I learned how to drive on a stock automatic car. Basically, I learned how to steer really well and shift weight with a spongy suspension. I also learned how to heel and toe in my own way in anticipation of having a manual. As I would brake, I would shift the car into neutral, heel and toe, and then shove it down into D2 for smooth automatic downshifting. After that, it was really easy to do on a manual. I now have an S13 with Apexi N1 Pro and when I go back to driving my other car, I feel like I suck at driving. You get really spoiled with quick weight shifts and more responsive steering. I think you are bound to suck at first when driving drastically different cars and all it takes is time to get use to it. It's not as if you can't adapt if you drive a fully decked out sports car.

TokyoDrifterXo7
10-21-2003, 01:49 AM
ive gotten pretty use to my stock setup havent gone hardcore with it cus it's stock and im not aloud on the track but im be very happy once i get my coil overs. :D suspension makes all the difference in the world to me, let me recommend sprint springs... i like em, only lowering spring ive ever used but i was damn satisfied with them. it was on a dif. car tho. KYB gas shocks suck ass, i had them on my CRX and they totally blew. Thats why there so cheap! haha... i go through cars to fast. Im holdint onto my 240 tho, im happy. :D 160hp baby!:boink:

RBS14
10-21-2003, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by Flybert
I don't know about that last part man. First off, I learned how to drive on a stock automatic car. Basically, I learned how to steer really well and shift weight with a spongy suspension. I also learned how to heel and toe in my own way in anticipation of having a manual. As I would brake, I would shift the car into neutral, heel and toe, and then shove it down into D2 for smooth automatic downshifting. After that, it was really easy to do on a manual. I now have an S13 with Apexi N1 Pro and when I go back to driving my other car, I feel like I suck at driving. You get really spoiled with quick weight shifts and more responsive steering. I think you are bound to suck at first when driving drastically different cars and all it takes is time to get use to it. It's not as if you can't adapt if you drive a fully decked out sports car.

Im think you misintrepreted my statement. I was saying if you don't learn how to drive a car in its stock form first, before coilovers and other mods, you won't learn all the importatn weight shifting techniques and such. Aftermarket parts often cover up or disguise driver error/inability. Instead of buying parts to make up for bad driving skills, learn how to do it right. You see what im saying? Not sure im articulating myself well enuf.

JDMark
10-21-2003, 04:46 PM
im suprised no one mentioned tanabe's as a bang-for-buck coilover on projectsilvia there cheaper then tein HE's (which are discountinues anyway right?) http://www.projectnissan.com/PRODUCTCART/pc/viewCat_h.asp?idCategory=48 they have 8/6kg setup but i havent heard a review or anything on quality or anything. that was just a coilover i considered but then realized how cheap i was and went for spring/shock setup.

thats awesome that kei-office is coming here, ive always liked there stuff

Dousan_PG
10-21-2003, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by JDMark
im suprised no one mentioned tanabe's as a bang-for-buck coilover on projectsilvia there cheaper then tein HE's (which are discountinues anyway right?) http://www.projectnissan.com/PRODUCTCART/pc/viewCat_h.asp?idCategory=48 they have 8/6kg setup but i havent heard a review or anything on quality or anything. that was just a coilover i considered but then realized how cheap i was and went for spring/shock setup.

thats awesome that kei-office is coming here, ive always liked there stuff

who the hell told you HEs were discontinued
this rumor SUCKS
they were NEVER discontinued and no plans to be. they are NOT being taken over by the Flex series they are very different coilovers (spec wise valving setup, etc)

anyways. tanabe. single height adjustble
HE is double. VERY different!!! definately worth paying for 2x height adjustable coilovers!

RBS14
10-21-2003, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by JDMark
im suprised no one mentioned tanabe's as a bang-for-buck coilover

maybe because the dampers are only half as adjustabel as the Tein's and they are only single height adjustable.

JDMark
10-21-2003, 04:57 PM
thats good news, sweet thanks for clearin that up.