PDA

View Full Version : Sr20 with a HUD

EchoOfSilence
10-19-2003, 09:39 PM
i've searched but couldn't really come up with stuff. If you swap in a ca or an sr into a HUD-equipped coupe, will they be compatible? or will you have to get a new dash since the HUD is integrated?

the head
10-19-2003, 11:03 PM
if you want the tach to work you must have a KA24DE tach or hud cluster so 90IIRC or up you are fine 89 you need to find a newer cluster
hud unit comes out of the dash i just rivited an alum panel over the hole it left then painted it flat grey (interior paint not primer)

kazuo
10-19-2003, 11:34 PM
the head: You again! Punctuation!

Anyways, close but no cigar. While it is true that you need to get a tach from a KA24DE or a SR20DET into your KA24E or CA18DE/DET cluster to have a working tach with a SR swap, the HUD's tach is smaller than the analog cluster's tach.

Which means, you're pretty fucked. You can either get a tach from a CA18 w/ HUD (SR's didnt have HUD) and a tach from a KA24DE or a SR20DET and switch the backings. (What I did) Only problem with this method is your tach will be off by 1000RPM or so.

You can also tap the CAS I am told, but I haven't tried it and that also supposedly wields an inaccurate reading at high RPMs.

Time to get a aftermarket tach or one of those rev/speed meter thingys...

the head
10-20-2003, 01:03 PM
they only made hud dashes for the KA24E i thought you could get them after 89 as an option

christopher
10-20-2003, 01:20 PM
I am afraid that this is not going to be very helpfull.

I have a red top, SR tach in my Ka24e cluster and working HUD in my 89.

This proves that it can be done, Afterdark tuning did it before they went all shady on everyone. I would imagine that since the spedometer in your 240sx will still work with the SR(the stock tach won't) that the HUD should be no different between the SR, KA, CA, or any other motor that runs to your stock harness inside the firewall since all the HUD shows is vehicle speed anyway.

kazuo
10-20-2003, 04:50 PM
I never said the HUD won't work with an SR20DET (it works fine).

The TACHOMETER doesn't work because only CA18DE/DET and KA24E equipped PS/HS13 chassis had them. SR20DE/DET and KA24DE did not have HUDs and they were not an option after 1991.

The speedometer signal is the same. Tachometer signal is not.

joel
10-21-2003, 09:03 PM
uh. i have a 91 coupe and they do have hud's and they are ka24de's not e's.

kazuo
10-21-2003, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by joel
uh. i have a 91 coupe and they do have hud's and they are ka24de's not e's.

You sure its not a '90? Cus if it is a 1991, then I'm going to have to pay the Nissan dealer a visit and buy a tachometer for it...

Itsuki
10-21-2003, 09:18 PM
Hrm, my buddy has a 92 coupe with a HUD unit, and his works fine and his RPM's read fine also we have compared them with his AVCR's readings and they are the same..

DuffMan
10-22-2003, 09:36 AM
There were no SR's with HUD? I kind of doubt that but I have no proof so maybe.

Anyways, you have a lot of options for running hud with sr. You can use a KA24DE tach in your hud cluster. For 9000rpm, You can use a SR analog tach and trim it so it will fit. It really fits pretty well, you just can only see the tips of the dashes, and the lighting is a bit weird. Same thing with an analog KA24DE tach, but it will only be 8000 rpm.

Or you can use a CA18DET tach and run it off the cas.

kazuo
10-23-2003, 04:52 PM
Well, I visited the dealer and the KA24DE did in fact have the HUD as an option.

Problem is the tach costs $300.

FUCK YOU NISSAN

So looks like yer stuck using CA tachs unless you get lucky and find a DE HUD...

Anyone have a DE HUD Tach they wanna sell me? :)

But my buddy in Japan, he swears up and down SR20DET did not have HUD... :(

mixedwell
10-24-2003, 02:50 AM
91+ 240sx did have the HUD option and hey look! the SR20DETs in japan too! wow! so im guessing you're freind hasn't seen any SR20DETs with HUDs or he's just blowing his own cock. Yeah most CA18DETs had the HUD but dont ever, not for one minute rule out the SR20DETs as not having any HUDs. trust, in 91, if the us had the HUD im sure Japan had it too.. and if that;s not the case why did my company import a 93 SILVIA with the HUD? thnak you.

as for the tach... use an analog tach and trim it just a lil. or find a ka24DE tach from the HUD. but you shouldnt have a problem wiht the analog tach.. not a big one anyways. trust, its all to the jizzle. holla.

-mixedwell ;)

kazuo
10-25-2003, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by mixedwell
91+ 240sx did have the HUD option and hey look! the SR20DETs in japan too! wow! so im guessing you're freind hasn't seen any SR20DETs with HUDs or he's just blowing his own cock.

Yeah, maybe you should calm down and layoff the shit talking.

It's just a message board and yeah... you're taking this way too seriously. Don't get so worked up over it. :P

At any rate, I've asked like, 10 people in Japan to find me a S13 Silvia with a HUD and a SR20DET motor and it doesn't seem to exist. I've also had several people who've told me they weren't made.

I'm just working off what I was told. Being that I have never seen one and a lot of people I've asked can't seem to find the damn things, I assumed they didn't exist. I never professed myself to be the patron saint of S13s and what cars came with what and what didn't.

Yeah most CA18DETs had the HUD but dont ever, not for one minute rule out the SR20DETs as not having any HUDs. trust, in 91, if the us had the HUD im sure Japan had it too.. and if that;s not the case why did my company import a 93 SILVIA with the HUD? thnak you.

Good for you and your company. :rolleyes:

Why can't you just state your findings without having to be such an ass about it?

as for the tach... use an analog tach and trim it just a lil. or find a ka24DE tach from the HUD. but you shouldnt have a problem wiht the analog tach.. not a big one anyways. trust, its all to the jizzle. holla.

Tried trimming it, looks like junk and doesn't light up properly. I'm just going to try and track down a KA24DE HUD and take the tach off it... but even that is becoming a bit problematic. :/

Thanks for the info.

gijoe69
10-26-2003, 02:59 AM
so a JDM HUD dat reads up to 9k wouldn't read on a SR20DET? cuz right now the tach doesn't read on my KA24E so I am hoping when I do my SR DUB swap it'll work...

kazuo
10-26-2003, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by gijoe69
so a JDM HUD dat reads up to 9k wouldn't read on a SR20DET? cuz right now the tach doesn't read on my KA24E so I am hoping when I do my SR DUB swap it'll work...

If the tach doesn't read with your motor currently, then most likely it will work fine with your SR20 motor.

Do you know what motor the car that the HUD Cluster came from had?

But the fact that it doesn't read on your SOHC basically confirms it will work fine with the motor swap.

Joel 180
10-26-2003, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by DuffMan
There were no SR's with HUD? I kind of doubt that but I have no proof so maybe.
True. HUD was Series 1 s13 (CA18) only.