PDA

View Full Version : what to do with 89 240sx with ka24e

typeSiRacing
10-19-2003, 06:01 PM
hello everone. i'm new to the nissan scene. i just finished building two hondas and i wanna do something new...the sr20det swap has always interested me so i have been looking into recently, but i'm a little unsure on what to do so maybe you guys can help me decide....upon research i'm getting a difference in opinion..i have an 89 240 i'm told that i'm better of swapping in a ka24de and just turboing that instead of the sr20det...they say it would be more cost effective with over 300hp..so i'm gonna ask you guys..the pros...what do you think!

zero.counter
10-19-2003, 06:17 PM
This F.A.Q. (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=92927) is excellent in answering your question. If you are truly serious about your quest, I know that you will take the time to read every ounce of info before a stupid flaming war starts up between people who don't even know each other and their meaningless opinions.

Facts are what you are seeking. Also, grab the last 3 months issue of sportcompactcar mag. There is huge swap info and turbo options available. Greddy just released an intercoolerless kit for the KA24DE...thats a start. turbonetics, XSEngineering, and someone else produce kits for the KA, or you could piece meal the setup.

Here are some good sites as well:
ka24development (http://www.ka24development.com/)

Nico's KA24DE and KA24DET forums (http://www.nissaninfiniticlub.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?forumid=129)

KA24DE parts (http://www.ka24de.com)

typeSiRacing
10-19-2003, 06:22 PM
yes actually i will without a doubt continue to read up but sometimes you get bored of the dry reasearch and want some opinions from experience but i'll definately add these to my list...lol...thanks for the info...anyone else?

dvdevo
10-19-2003, 07:00 PM
the search button usually works wonders.. does for me :D

andrave
10-19-2003, 07:26 PM
just turbo the ka24e.
realnissan.com

typeSiRacing
10-19-2003, 09:29 PM
actually i didn't consider that as an option...do you know something i don't? sohc?

zero.counter
10-19-2003, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by typeSiRacing
actually i didn't consider that as an option...do you know something i don't? sohc?
Some guy named william floats around touting the sohc. Search.

typeSiRacing
10-19-2003, 10:40 PM
william where you at....holla at me!

the head
10-19-2003, 10:57 PM
stuff a rag in your gas tank and light it
or you could just stop asking the same questions every other jackhole has asked as a noob in the last year
hondas are not nissans sell your car to a competent person and leave this forum

andrave
10-19-2003, 10:58 PM
why should he holla at you? do your own damn research.
You can turbo the ka24E. its gonna make the same power as an sr20 does and cost about the same. ditto for ka24DE. Ditto for ca18det. They are all in the same ballpark. There is plenty of support for all the engines, and the ka24de has really grown in aftermarket support lately. ca18det not so much.

typeSiRacing
10-20-2003, 04:16 AM
Originally posted by the head
stuff a rag in your gas tank and light it
or you could just stop asking the same questions every other jackhole has asked as a noob in the last year
hondas are not nissans sell your car to a competent person and leave this forum

don't be an idiot, i have to start somewhere and i have been doing research i have facts i'm looking for opinion "jackhole"....and what makes you think i'm not competent, i gaurantee i have a honda that will eat any naturally asperated car you got and if you got turbo i'll spray and still beat you...anyway i have respect for nissans so i don't wanna spin off into a honda/nissan battle, but like i said i have to start somewhere so if you can't be constructive or don't like the topic DONT REPLY...everyone else thank you!

TheSparo
10-20-2003, 09:29 AM
RWD>FWD

:p lol

christopher
10-20-2003, 01:11 PM
Honestly, this has been discussed before sooo many times but here we go.

You want 300hp.

How much do you want to spend?
Is it important to you to do something J-spec with the motor?
Is it important that it be street legal? Do you have to pass smog or a visual inspection?
Can you drive a RWD 300hp car well enough to use the power?
Is it just for show?
Where do you plan on racing it? If track, what bracket will a new engine put you in? Is it worth it still?
What kind of shape is your stock motor in?
Have you considered that most old Chevy's and Fords are RWD and far easier to pull 300hp out of?
So money is not a concern, consider a 350z. More blinging anyway. Don't need to tune it and will be more reliable.
Consider this and then search again. It will help you narrow it down.

If money is an issue, don't swap a motor. An SR20DET will easily hit you for 4000.00 just to get up and running in "stock" trim, this will put you nowhere near 300hp. It could easily be more just for stock if you don't get everything you need with the engine.

Assuming you know what your doing with engines and can do this right yourself, an SR is a nice motor. I have one I love it. It is far more cost effective to turbo a KA24DE, but you still have to buy that, and it is not JDM. If that is important to you (JDM parts) then prepare to pay more for many NISSAN parts than you would for comparable Honda ones. Nature of the beast.

Good Luck to you.

Sorry for the long post.

Burmonster
10-20-2003, 01:50 PM
"what makes you think i'm not competent, i gaurantee i have a honda that will eat any naturally asperated car you got and if you got turbo i'll spray and still beat you"

Whoa, be prepared to take shit for that one. One thing you have to keep in mind here buddy is that most people on this forum are very protective of their cars and often take of offence when some noob comes in here and starts talking about how they want to drop and SR in their car to make it MaD jYdm tYt Holla!!! And by making the above remake, you have made no more friends. Some people one this forum have respect for hondas but they tend to have a little bit more respect for the car which this forum is supposed to cater to, the 240sx. Now how do you think you coming in here basically saying that your 1.6 liter economy car(and I could car less if you have an engine swap) can beat everything in here and if not then you have enought NOS to "blow myself up" (to qoute a neo-dramatic film tragedy of recent)? It does nothing. I personally cant stand civics and I usually try to avoid the situation when a current or previous honda owner comes to this forum asking questions, but comments such as the one you made above are completely uncalled for. I think it might be in your best interest here buddy to take your civic and move on because there are going to be people lining up to flame you for what you have said.

andrave
10-20-2003, 02:22 PM
you have a ka24E. just smack a gigantic T3/T04e in with some forged rods and pistons, some 444cc injectors from a skyline, MSD BTM, apexi safc, Z32 mafs, and go have some fun.

docrice
10-20-2003, 02:29 PM
Yeah i'll have to go with the crowd here. Consider these facts:
1. dont flame or even suggest that an econo car is capable of beating the car this site is dedicated to. First, if you're talking straight line, then you're a d*mn retard, Straight line racing is for those guys that think their mustang is tha shiznit. Sport compacts weren't built for drag racing, as the suck at it (comparatively, not in general (not flaming but consider the facts folks)). Any other form of racing you're screwed anyhow, its just a matter of physics. CG, weight distribution, drive setup, suspension/braking, physical dimensions, in any case the 240sx wins unless its stock and the civic has MAJOR upgrades, including chassis modification.
2. The 240sx is a whole new ball game in comparison to little FWD cars that you've worked on. period. Some of what you know applies, but in many cases its a much different setup. be aware of that when you're scratching your head trying to modify one saying "it worked on my civic"
3. The BIGGEST debate over the 240sx was what the best engine upgrade is for it. However, there's so much variety it's obvious that a lot of it is personal preference and goals for the car, as christopher said. Search to see what fits your plans/budget/etc
4. Before you start, remember that parts will be much different. Civics have the cheapest and most abundant parts in the world. Not so here. You're looking at easily 4x the cost for most items IF you can get it. plus you have to FIND the parts, and trust me they are a serious commodity for this car, whether OEM, JDM, or aftermarket. They don't grow on trees like civics. A lot of stuff they dont make, so if you want it its up to you to make it. And if you really expect to have a 240sx capable of 300hp plan to spend a LOT on brakes, suspension, tires, LSD, etc. to make it a safe setup.
5.Driver skill plays a much bigger role.

Just a few topics to consider before you dive out of "Kustom Kars for Dummies" into a totally different game.

knghtryde
10-20-2003, 04:50 PM
My first car was a 1993 Civic, which was pounding out a good 285 to the ground. It was easy and cheap. I've been driving and working on 240sx's for about 6 years now. I've done auto to 5spd conversions, I've done KA24DE swaps, SR20DET swaps, and RB20DET swaps.

I've also beafed up a KA24E with 7:0.1 compression, full race head, T04 turbo, and able to take out many cars that are thrown at it.

Trust me it isn't a civic. I made that mistake. My first S13 god rest her sole is lost forever. I know that sounds lame but when you car gets ingolfed in flames while your still in the car cause of some dumb ass not strapping a barrel down in the back of his truck you get sentimental.

Anyways. Back on Topic. Everyone's right. I've been researching 240sx's before most people knew what an S13 was. When I started it was rare to hear about an SR swap. Even thinking of dropping in an RB was just not heard of.

Read, Read, Read, Read. Don't listen to what anyone says about the car. Every single motor is diffent but just as good.

Make your 240sx fit your personality. Don't follow the crowd. Don't get an SR cause everyone else has. If you get an SR make sure you know why you're doing it. People don't realize that even the KA24DE and KA24E are incredibly different. Hey they share alot of components but they are really different.

Come on here to ask us something when you have a problem installing something. Ask us how a meet went. Ask us what's a better product. Don't ask us things like what engine is better, cause they are all equally as good it just depends on what motor fits you.

Sorry this got so long. Bad Day.

typeSiRacing
10-20-2003, 05:28 PM
i just wanted to say thanks to everone for the positive critism, and the great suggestions. also, i wanna apologize to anyone who took offense to what i said, it was only directed at "the head". and honestly if he said what he said to anyone else i'm sure the would do the same thing i did. thanks again

the head
10-20-2003, 10:13 PM
I don't flame thos that don't ask questions that have been overed several times
what times and HP do you RUN with your honda
here is what is availale to me
99 vette mild mods comfortable high 12 sec car
99 trans am WS-6 (the daily Driver) Cams exahst headers and ECU improvements mid 12 sec and competent in auto x
03 SL55 AMG 493HP stock and fuckn evil
03 porsche carrera
the nissan is not ready yet still in assembly should do first SR test fire this weekend hopefully

Know your shizzle if you have technical or difficult questions i am more polite and very helpful

andrave
10-20-2003, 11:01 PM
knghtryde- your spelling is bad.
The head... right.. and my other car is a ferrari.

the head
10-20-2003, 11:19 PM
will post pics on saturday
i say available vette is mine t/a is mine
porsche and MB are owned by the 'rents just got dad into auto x with the MB he gets a kick out of it

building the 240 as a track whore and weekend car for doing stupid shit in

MisfitFlesh
10-24-2003, 05:34 AM
Originally posted by the head
will post pics on saturday
i say available vette is mine t/a is mine
porsche and MB are owned by the 'rents just got dad into auto x with the MB he gets a kick out of it

building the 240 as a track whore and weekend car for doing stupid shit in

:bs: