PDA

View Full Version : Questions about a swap

rpierce
05-18-2011, 08:17 AM
Well guys this is my first post, so I guess I'll quickly introduce myself and then head right on into the questions.
I live in Ohio and there is absolutely nothing to do here so I figured I might as well find something to entertain myself. I'm planning on getting a quick degree in auto tech and working my way to getting a job at a tuning shop but that's not going to be for a few years. On to the questions.

I have a basic-above average knowledge of automotive technology for having no formal education in the subject and I am in the market for a car. I really only need a daily driver but I'd like to have something that entertains me.
That being said, I would love to have an S14, but the price of one in decent condition is kind of a deterrent. I've been flirting with the idea of finding a solid shell cheap and doing an easy swap (CA18 or SR20) and I would end up spending about the same maybe even less on that as I would for a decent original S14 (with the KA24).

I guess my main point is, I have no intention of boosting the engine any more than stock boost any time soon. I suppose in that case I wouldn't even need a boosted engine but it would be fun. I'm just wondering what my best option would be in this situation.
Pretty much every SR20 swap I see involves a bigger turbo, more boost, boost controller, expensive controls and standalone units, etc. when I would just really like to have a fairly stock SR20DET. I do plan on doing a little bit of modifications gradually down the road but I'm not trying to pump out 300+hp.

If anybody could shine some light on this it would be greatly appreciated. Hopefully I don't get crucified by the nuts for this post.

daryl337
05-18-2011, 10:22 AM

BRING THE CROSS!! BURN HIMMMMM!!!!

Jk.

To be honest, its all going to be your preference.
Sr motors are fun and easy to deal with compared to some engines i've worked on. The swap is relatively straight forward... and if you mess something up... the market is so saturated with aftermarket parts that you can pick up alot of stock parts for very cheap.

I know personally that once I get bit by "the boost bug", I always want more. Its like sex. You want more... and more... and more. Until the next thing you know you drained emotionally, and physically weak... and your wallet is empty.

Yes. Exactly like sex.

jaCkee13
05-18-2011, 10:29 AM
i have an s13 with a s14 sr20det in it everything stock and gradually down the road right now i been banking my money and move on from there, as for every sr20 swap involving bigger turbos its basiclly your personally thing nah means ? u want stock stick with the stock turbo and upgrade later, depends how u going to used it track, drift, but if its just a dd doesnt really matter swap in a sr20 and on your way :)

rpierce
05-18-2011, 01:18 PM
One thing I'm trying to steer clear of is a whole bunch of problems with the car running once its done. It seems like a good number of people end up with a number of gremlins that have to be worked out with tuning the engine, but I was hoping this could be minimized by not getting bigger injectors, boosting, and such.