PDA

View Full Version : s14 sr - cam timing problem

two40guy
05-17-2011, 01:07 PM
I recently got my sr back together and me and a buddy put the head on yesterday and got everything on and looking nice and then came time to do cams. my friend was off working on his car and i started timing the cams and was surprised when it took me no longer than like 10 mins. flew right through it, motor was at TDC and the mate marks on the cams lined up perfect with the silver links on the timing chain i thought i was good to go but i turned the motor over at the crank with the tensioner off and things werent lining up.. so i re-timed it and got everything lined up, and put the tensioner on and turned it over again and i turn the motor over and i can get the cam mark and silver link to match on the exhaust cam after turning it over a bunch of times but the intake cam seems to be a few teeth off. but it was timed perfectly before i cranked it over so do i have to re time it? or should it be fine? its not hitting valves or anything, turns over at the crank easy im just looking for some input thanks

camaro379ss
05-17-2011, 01:42 PM
usually when doing chains and belts the cams have to be set back slightly so that when you put the tensioner on the will roll them back in place. When putting it on make sure you are taking the slack out as you go around the gears, make sure its tight. Its the easiest way to be sure your timing will be on everytime you install. It really does need to be lined up.

two40guy
05-17-2011, 03:09 PM
So how should I go about timing it? Cause the way I'm doing it isn't working I guess.. I'm using the fsm and it lined up just doesn't stay lined up so what do you suggest?

yabeet
05-17-2011, 03:13 PM
If you mate the marks up (colored links to marks on gears) if you spin the crank 720, the links/marks will not match up again for a long time, this is complety normal.

camaro379ss
05-17-2011, 06:08 PM
^^^this is correct. I should have asked if you are rotating it completely or rotating it after you release the tensioner and rolling it back....but yea if you are doing a full rotation after you align it it will be quite a few rotations to see those line up again.

After you set the marks and release the tensioner go forward (not too far) to take up the slack then go back to see if they still are aligned.

two40guy
05-18-2011, 08:29 AM
Cool, so maybe its good. But does anyone know how many times its gotta spin to line up? Cause I spun it over a good 12 to 15 times

japslapsilvia
05-18-2011, 08:57 AM
there is anothe way of determining if your cam timing is set correctly (straight up) it involves counting the links...search for it, it has been covered.