PDA

View Full Version : Lack of Oil Pressure....chain guides? oil pump?

texsilvia
10-17-2003, 08:15 PM
I have a 1996 240sx with a KA24DE, around 82,000 miles.

I've been having "the rattling" sound for nearly a year.

I recently read in the FAQ/Archive that removing the extra crappy upper timing chain guides would take care of this rattling which it did. The timing chain guides, not the tensioner. The tensioner, on the left side of the block if looking at the front of the car, stayed on and appeared to be in good shape.

I drove the car around for quite a while without these guides and I enjoyed the best sound my car never made. NO rattling, all was quiet.

Until today, I went to start my car...and it began to rattle and run really rough. I noticed the oil pressure light came on, so I shut it off and proceded to pound my head against the concrete in frustration.

I swear, my car is possessed. Well, the engine anyway.

I have heard rumors of KA24DE's having realtively weak oil pumps, is it possible that mine is f***ed?

If it is, or if it's ANYTHING short of an easy fix. I'm ripping that stupid truck engine out of there and I'm going to set it on fire. A smoldering scorching fire that will writhe up from the infernal pits of hell to consume the hellspawn that is the KA24DE.

Any advice would be appreciated, particularly if you have removed both upper chain guides with much success.

Things to keep in mind. The previous owner, my brother, ran the car on 0-30w Mobil One. However, the last oil change he did before I got it was a >>> 12,000 <<< oil change!!!! I drained about 1.5 qts out when I got it. SURELY, this is not the way to treat any motor.

If I had to pick I'd say the 12,000 mile oil change screwed the oil pump, but if the problem is related to the chain guides, let me know.

-Texsilvia