PDA

View Full Version : Disconnecting upper radiator hose, coolant leaking out

dued
05-09-2011, 02:54 PM
:picardfp:

Hi, I'm in the process of cleaning out my intake manifold on my ka24de s14 & I'm trying to get the upper radiator hose out of the way & when I pulled off the radiator hose from the engine block, coolant started to leak out onto my alternator & all over the engine bay. Should I just plug the coolant hole on the engine with a towel or is there some sort of screw / plug I can undo to equalize pressure or something?

I'm a mechanical noob, so it's my first time removing my coolant hose.

Pro ViZIon
05-09-2011, 04:23 PM
you should have drained some of the coolant out before hand. there is a little tab that screws into the bottom of the radiator on the driver side.

chiboy002
05-09-2011, 04:26 PM
fuck that screw, it's made of plastic and strips.

OP just remove the lower radiator hose, have a bucket handy, and drain that shit and refill. Or take a little out and put it back on... Coolant always comes out when you remove hoses, the entire system needs to have coolant in it 100% of the time so if you remove a hose and nothing comes out you have a problem

it's ok to plug it with something, but if a lot if coming out then you might as well just drain it from the bottom since a soaked rag does nothing

let your alternator dry before turning the car back on

dued
05-09-2011, 04:28 PM
Thanks for the replies, please keep them coming.

Phate
05-09-2011, 06:22 PM
Nothing else more to say, the other posts nailed it.