PDA

View Full Version : help me diagnose

Axel Grungy
10-16-2003, 05:37 PM
heres my prob with my 240, ive searched but not found much.
symtoms
-wont start sometimes, when it does i have to pump gas pedal a little to get rpms up or it sputter and stall. after holding it at 2k for a few seconds it idles.
-really bad gas mileage
-smell of gas from tailpipe
-can smell gas in oil, although its not burning any IE (no blue smoke)

does this mean its running really really rich?? if so how could i fix it? i replaced the fuel filter with a 300zx today, and it ran fine for a bit, then it started acting up again. right now its just sitting in the driveway and i cant start it. but it will prolly start up in awhile.

:bash:

holisticbeatz
10-16-2003, 05:58 PM
Check for leaks on the intake manifold maybe?

lok
10-17-2003, 05:11 AM
It kind of sounds like your MAF, but when my was bad on my SR (not sure if it is same engine) but my car would only idle and you could not touch the gas, and if you unplugged it and then just touched it to the MAF the engine would stutter. It also had the same smells you described. Hope that helps, good luck.

deviousKA
10-17-2003, 11:07 AM
The cold warm up for your engine might not be shutting off. Its like running with the choke on all the time. Clean all the electrical connections to your engine, Youll be amazed what it can do. You should look at a few connectors (injector, temp sensor, etc..) if they look corroded at all you should clean them. Use acid and a q tip then neutralize with baking soda and water.

Phoen_x_s14
10-17-2003, 12:22 PM
hmmm sounds like the same problem my friend had with his 99 GSR... his was the TPS, throttle position sensor, it kept idling wrong and had problems starting up, stall out when A/C was turned on. Hmm as for the gas um............check your fuel filter and the lines??? O2 Sensors?

Axel Grungy
10-17-2003, 12:23 PM
i did find taht one of the grounds from the engine to the firewall was all burnt and nasty, its on the drivers side right by the firewall. could this be the problem maybe?? im going to replace it anyways, waht gauge wire should i use???