PDA

View Full Version : cooling system overhaul. but over heating? tried it all

future
05-06-2011, 03:36 AM
New rad, thermo, water pump and hoses. Overheating now. It runs perfect for a good while. Then the second you think its going to be okay it overheats. Thermo is on right. No leaks. I though air buble but I fillled it up over and over. I was reading some stuff about a possible air pocket in the heater core? But wouldn't that not allow my heater to blow hot? I'm trying to try everything before I resort to blown head gasket. But it has no signs on that besides overheating. Nothing in myoil, nothing in my overflow tank. No white smoke. I'm just so lost with this situation. After being out of commision for almost two months and having it so close. I can drive all day on the streets with stop and go, then hoped on the freeway. Ran it pretty hard and it ran good and steady, then I turned around and went the otherway and that's when it decided to get hot, after like twenty minutes another thing I've been hearing is my fuel pump, its throwing too much fuel. I have a walbro 255 on my stock ka(ccheapest fuel pump icould find) timing is perfect. Idk? Me and my dad are lost and I'm tired of trying shit aka wasting money for it not to work. What's the missing part?

w0nderbr3ad
05-06-2011, 03:50 AM
Did you even bleed the system? Could be a bunch of small air pockets causing overheating. I've read in several threads something about the heater core also trapping air? I'm not sure since I've gotten rid of my AC system.

Why do you have a walbro 255 fuel pump on a stock ka? If you had gotten an oem replacement you wouldn't be running rich.

Jaketenpointo
05-06-2011, 12:15 PM
Are you bleeding it right? KA's are pretty bad about air pockets.

Level the car or with the nose in the air
Turn the heater to full hot
start it up
open the bleeder bolt
Fill the radiator until the bleeder bolt starts dripping.
Replace the bleeder and fill more
watch for bubbles
Replace cap and drive

Im pretty sure that's the right way. Its been a while though

Hashiriya415
05-06-2011, 12:46 PM
check the thermostat in water and see what temp it opens up and does it open up all the way. Check your fan, does it spin the right way, is there enough flow from whatever fan your using. And do something about the fuel, with the high flow pump your getting too much fuel. Gas is a cleaner, it removes oil easily, so your washing away lubrication in the cylinders and throwing into the oil pan which eventually ads up and starts washing other parts of engine dry. In short words your shortening the life of your engine. Plus risk of fire since gas in pan can ignite. Either put a OEM pump in or adjustable fuel pressure regulator.

curbhuggerrps13
05-06-2011, 12:52 PM
try running it without the thermostat for a while and squeeze the line and see how much pressure is built in there. i am leaning towards your fans not giving enough flow to the radiator.

ryandriftingfat
05-06-2011, 01:10 PM
What fan are you using? Few years ago I upgraded my SR to to a Koyo with a 12" FAL fan. I had the same problems you're describing. Turns out I crossed my leads so air was blowing forward. Duh. I eventually went back to clutch fan with stock shroud on the Koyo.

importdude
05-06-2011, 01:15 PM
check for leaks pressurize the system
a tiny leak will cuase irractic overheating

STEEZxIT
05-06-2011, 01:18 PM
I was never a fan of E-Fans. other than the OE it comes with but besides that i always have a belt fan with shroud.

Anyways.

Dont rely on the "bleeder bolt". You can break it from loosening and tightening it. if it does, you're fucked.. depending if the bolt breaks the head or the thread falls into your cooling system.

follow these procedure:

*Have car on jacks w/ jackstands at its highest point. Make sure car is stable with 2 jackstands.
*Open radiator cap
*Have a long funnel ready. big enough to fit snuggle on the filler hole but tall enough to put a good amount of fluid.
*Turn car on with HEATER on full blast.
*Fill up funnel at its highest point
*Let the car warm up on its own
*When warm, slightly give it gas, to circulate coolant with pressure.
*Keep eye on funnel and keep it fill.

Let the car sit until you are satisfied. I let it sat for 15 mins.

Its time consuming, but KA motor (from what ive heard and experience) are prone to overheating when its not bled right.

If your car wasnt overheating BEFORE you did this, highly doubt its the headgasket.

Be patient when it comes to bleeding the system.

BTW what kind of rad cap do you have??? I bought a faulty cap. Didnt realize it. So i jst went to the dealer and got an OEM one.

future
05-06-2011, 01:54 PM
I need to try that bleeding system. That's my old way. My themo works. I've already boiled it, then. One I had didn't work at all. Didn't even move. So I changed it and still overheater just a lot faster now. This really making me irritated. I'm waiting letting it cool down before I attempt to drive home

codyace
05-06-2011, 01:56 PM
I just fill it up, put my hand atop the radiator fill to close it off and just squeeze/unsqueeze/squeeze the upper hose to suck water into the block and back fill it to the thermostat. Add more coolant/water as you do it, but once it stops sucking into the block you're done.

This works on any car out there.

codyace
05-06-2011, 01:56 PM
I need to try that bleeding system. That's my old way. My themo works. I've already boiled it, then. One I had didn't work at all. Didn't even move. So I changed it and still overheater just a lot faster now. This really making me irritated. I'm waiting letting it cool down before I attempt to drive home

Bad radiator cap? Does the radiator actually flow (stick a hose in it and see if it comes out the bottom...cheap flush)

PoorMans180SX
05-06-2011, 02:19 PM
KA's are retarded when it comes to bleeding. I had to bleed mine out for probably 45 minutes.

Jack the front up, rev it, let it down, rev it some more, and repeat until it stops letting out air bubbles. I would highly suggest getting a swirl tank.

DataXUnknown
05-07-2011, 01:14 AM
Do the bleeding mentioned in the above posts^

Also if your fan is not working that could cause it.

And like mentioned before, don't use that stupid bleeder screw, just burp the shit out of it

Memberofthe600hpkaclub
05-07-2011, 02:43 AM
Urhmmm...ive had 255 pumps on a bunch of stock ka motors....they ran just fine....guess I'm the only one thathas a fpr

future
05-07-2011, 10:26 AM
I don't think my. Fpr is working. Cause its eating like twent dollars of gas to get to work and back

future
05-07-2011, 10:30 AM
Oh back to the overheating situation. It overheated while going to in-n-out. But not on a drive to upland. Then after parting out a friends car I decided. To say fuck it and go to where I work. They already knew I was having problems. But came to be there was just a lot of air in the system just like they all said. Then we tested for a blownheadgasket cause I was scared lol all is well. Thannks. Zilvia for the help

silva.240
05-07-2011, 10:43 AM
When i had put a new motor into my car i also upgraded the radiator among other parts. The motor immediately overheated. It took me several trips to the forums to get it right and another 5-10 times bleeding it right . i must have had air trapped in the engine's anus... but seriously woah

future
05-07-2011, 10:45 AM
Yeah it was not my first time doing it. It just never gave me such a problem

s13-ghost
05-07-2011, 11:17 PM
ssssshtttt sounds like my problem. lol sso how long it take to bleed it all correctly? and whihch way did u use to bleed it?

future
05-08-2011, 02:26 AM
I bleed it threw the bleeder with the heater on. And used one of that fancy funel/rad cap thingys lol

Wake
05-08-2011, 02:36 AM
I dont know how so many people have problems with this. i have replaced numerous water pumps, thermos, radiators, caps all that and NEVER have I had a 240 over heat afterwards. I dont even jack the car up to do it, sometimes i just rock the front until i dont see anymore bubbles.

you guys really must not have very much patience when it comes to bleeding the air or something. Either way glad you got it fixed future.

future
05-08-2011, 02:47 AM
I know right? I've done a job like this that required to bleed the system hundreds of times and never had. A problem. I think it was the fact that we swapped a motor and the heater come was full of air after being out of comission for over a month