PDA

View Full Version : Pulling Exhaust mani help... Stuck!!

WorkInProgress
05-04-2011, 03:56 PM
Hey guys, I'm in a jam with my SR.

So my exhaust mani started leaking and I've had to pull it all. Problem is it seems that I absolutely have to pull the elbow before I can lift out the turbo. This is the first time I've had to do this and one nut on the elbow WILL NOT come off. It's the lower side nut closest to the passenger side of the car. It's starting to strip because I can't get shit on it. I sprayed it with penetrating grease, tried swivel sockets, self-ratcheting ratchets, spanner wrenches and all... but the space is so small I've only made the problem worse.

Any suggestions? I know its suppose to be a 12mm but fuck maybe an 11mm will work.

If I strip the nut totally.... I have no clue how I'll get it off and the turbo/exhaust mani out.

Help.

WERDdabuilder
05-04-2011, 04:32 PM
i took off my mani couple months ago with the elbow still on. you just have to move it around and it'll pop out. took me like 10min just wiggling it around.

WorkInProgress
05-04-2011, 05:27 PM
i took off my mani couple months ago with the elbow still on. you just have to move it around and it'll pop out. took me like 10min just wiggling it around.

Maybe I just suck but the elbow keeps getting stuck between my AC hose and the steering column. It's annoying the piss out of me.

DinoMan
05-04-2011, 07:39 PM
Spray it and just let it sit and penetrate for like ten minutes. I had a similar problem with my brake lines. It got to the point where i just sprayed a butt load of WD40 and filed the sands down to get grip on the bolt.

Luvs2slide
05-04-2011, 07:45 PM
Unbolt the elbow from the DP. Pull it all out together...Manifold, turbo, and elbow.

It will come out...w/ finesse.

GL

mattsil80wis
05-05-2011, 07:01 AM
Maybe I just suck but the elbow keeps getting stuck between my AC hose and the steering column. It's annoying the piss out of me.

disconnect the steering column from the rack

Darren
05-05-2011, 07:30 AM
Unbolt the elbow from the DP. Pull it all out together...Manifold, turbo, and elbow.

It will come out...w/ finesse.

GL

This. and it'll help if you pull your cas & water outlet for space. (i'm assuming sr20det as you don't say)

WorkInProgress
05-05-2011, 07:48 PM
Thanks for all the responses guys. I got everything out today. This is the first time I've had to pull it all.

I've resurfaced everything with wire brush and some sand paper. I had a few studs come out instead of the nut coming off. When I go to put it all back together what should I use to get a good seal?

Permatex for the gaskets? Loctite on the studs?

Thanks again.

WorkInProgress
05-05-2011, 07:52 PM
BTW running S15 gaskets on the exhaust mani and where the mani meets the turbo.